Better than Vista?

Guest prv8eye

Guest prv8eye

I'm a new Geocaching addict looking to buy my first unit.

I want a moving map unit with WAAS, an altimeter and compass

After many hours of reading and shopping it seems to me the best unit that has ALL of this is the Etrex Vista.

Is there any other handheld unit that has all of these features?

I've read complaints about the Vista's performance in the woods and would like to get the best I can for under $350.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest Elwood

i love my vista, but have experienced issues as reported , with the click stick, and keeping a signal lock, but i think they are minor issues at least in my experience.

Guest geofly

I really like my vista. Every once in a while the signal loss is a problem, but very very rarely. I was out today and picked up and locked both of the WAAS sats. For most of the day I had atleast one fully locked in. My overall experience with the unit in fairly heavy cover, which is quite different in the west from the tree cover in the east, I have had little problem tracking a decent number of sats. The options on this toy make it more than well worth the money.

Guest Anton

Skip the Vista. Carry a real, magnetic compass that won't necessitate changing GPS screens on the move or eat batteries. Are you really going to use, meaning regularly calibrate the altimeter barometer? Then buy a separate unit for that purpose.

Anton, 11H/18F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Hard Slate

Seperate compass and altimeter is a must.If you get out in the sh....,uh, thick stuff,and lose lock, or lose gpsr(breakdown or whatever) you'll be grateful to have seperate units.And as far as signal loss, there is nothing more agrravating.

I have to agree with the seperate compass altimiter. So give the GPSMAP 76 a look. It has a better antenna then the Vista. All thought the Vista has 24 MB of memory I find that the 8 MB of memory in the GPSMAP 76 is more than enought for most of my purposes. Not only does the GPSMAP 76 have a better antenna it also has a bigger screen and will except an exteral antenna. Download the manuals off of Garmin's web site for both the Vista and the GPSMAP 76 and I think you will see that the 76 has alot more features.

mcb

Guest ecbaatz

On the vista, you have to remember that the compass can work without the gps. So as long as you have a working gps and good batteries your vista's compass will work. Even if you can't get a lock onto your satellites.

Of course, a real compass is still a good idea to have with you.

Guest James and Khanh

Magellan makes the 330x which has WAAS for around $250. Comes with Mapping CD-ROM, mounting for car window, and computer cable/car-power cable.

I'm not debating Garmin/Magellan, ok, this is my experience and opinion.

I bought the Mag330x this past week and love it. I wasn't going to drop a load of bills on a Garmin and then still have to buy a $100 cd-rom! And I get the feeling that Garmins antennas aren't as great on low-midrange models. Haven't seen a Mag owner complain yet!

I wouldn't buy (or pay more for) the Garmin just because it has a altimiter/compass. I would buy separate units that don't need batteries.

Think: WORST CASE SCENARIO!

[This message has been edited by James and Khanh (edited 05 August 2001).]

Guest brokenwing

I will second the Magellan MAP 330x. It has worked well for me when geocaching. The quad helix antenna seems to allow for a little more accuracy in adverse conditions. I suspect that this is due to allowing for locks on birds lower on the horizon. This logically, should lead to better position geometry.

I also bought a $30 dollar sighting compass and think a decent sighting compass is the way to go. This will allow you to fix on a point and walk to it with more accuracy. I can't speak as to the altimeter, Texas is too flat to have to worry about that!

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest Big-Bird

Well I tried 330 Map and it did not lock in in the cover I was in. Neither did the Map76 until I hooked up the ext. antenna. And then it wasn't a lot better and took some time to lock on. Even then I lost the signal a lot.

This was a brand new out of box with the update to WAAS 330 Map beside a almost new Map76. In cover I'm getting the feeling only the III+ may be your best chance. Till I check one out I won't know for sure. That may be soon as I hate having something that won't work when you need it to.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Skip the Vista. Carry a real, magnetic compass that won't necessitate changing GPS screens on the move or eat batteries. Are you really going to use, meaning regularly calibrate the altimeter barometer? Then buy a separate unit for that purpose.

Anton, 11H/18F

The altimeter is self calibrating, using an altitude zone system. Check the Garmin site for info on how this works. It is not necessary to change screens to turn the compass on or off. You simply hold down the Page button to toggle it. And, of course, the compass will turn itself on/off based on your current speed (option setable, of course).

Guest k2dave

I would say go w/ a magnetic compass. I have an electronic compass on my altimeter watch and rarely use that function.

Get a gps for what you want a gps for - to hold a lock and let u know where u are - everything else is secondary.

Guest prv8eye

"I bought the Mag330x this past week and love it. I wasn't going to drop a load of bills on a Garmin and then still have to buy a $100 cd-rom! "

I agree with that 100%.

Charging another 100 bucks for the map after charging $200-$300 for the receiver SUCKS!

Garmin could, at least, offer a substantial discount on the software if purchased with the unit.

I would buy my own for $45 but for $100 I'll look for someone from whom I can borrow or even rent the software.

I'll give the Magellan 330 another look.