EasyGPS / Garmin Problem?

I am trying to add some waypoints with EasyGPS for a trip I'm taking. The map I'm using is NAD 27 CON US and the waypoints are hddd mm ss.s

I have set the Garmin etrex Venture to both formats but when I transfer the data it changes to a different cordinate! Here's an example:

I load this in Easy GPS:

N34.08085

W85.47385

And it converts to this on my etrex:

N34 04 50.6

W85 28 26.0

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? It very frustrating...

Thanks in advance!

Mac

Now I feel really dumb. icon_rolleyes.gif

They are the same coordinates?? I set the etrex to match the map format as close as I could. The map is in DD MM SS.S The Etrex will do HDDD MM SS.S

Is there another format that might match??

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

for what its worth, the 2 coordinates are the same, just in different formats. does the etrex only accept uploads in specific formats? i dont know as i dont have an etrex.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

If I understand your question,....You are loading degrees and decimals of a degree (N34.08085) and the GPSr is converting to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds (N34 04 50,6) wright???... My answer is that it is the same coordinate , just in a different format.

N34 .08085 is in degrees/decimal. To convert to degrees/minutes/seconds you multiply the decimal portion (.08085)x(60)= 4.8510 which is 4 Minutes,then you take the (.8510)x(60)= 51.0600 which is 51.06 Seconds........Line this all up and you get

34 Degrees 04 Minutes 51.06 Seconds just like what was converted on your etrex, except for a very small round up error.(50.6/51.06)Seconds.

I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HMF4:

Now I feel really dumb. icon_rolleyes.gif

They are the same coordinates?? I set the etrex to match the map format as close as I could. The map is in DD MM SS.S The Etrex will do HDDD MM SS.S

Is there another format that might match??

i dont have a garmin, but if i were to guess id say that dd mm ss.s is the same as hddd mm ss.s where the h would satnd for hemisphere instead of +/- for north/south/east/west. to alter the displayed cooridnates as you want it should only be to change the setup menu configuration, but a garmin owner will have to guide you through that process.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'