GPS MAP76 vs. GPS III Plus

Guest gstrong1

Guest gstrong1

parking lot,plus kept a solid fix on 4-5 sats.,the map,3-4.These are the figures as I recorded them on the spot.They are in no way meant to knock the MAP76.I love the unit & its features that the Plus lacks.It is just my contention, as it was on the other thread,that without the external antenna connected to the MAP,the III Plus is a more accurate unit to take into adverse conditions.Conditions that I have encountered on probably 70% of my cache adventures.I'm ordering the antenna and hope it will improve on the figures for the MAP.I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had their MAP76 out & about.-Gimpy-

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Don't mean to be picky but from your post it would seem that you are saying the III+ has a more sensitive receiver then the GPSMAP 76 not more accurate. Yes in all of the given situations the III+ was giving you a better EPE. But since the III+ had more satellites then this is to be expected. If both unit were talking to the same satellites and the III+ had a better EPE then you might have an argument for accuracy. I believe your post is correct and usefull and it sound like the III+ has better reception than the GPSMAP 76. I wish I could have afforded to keep my III+ and my new GPSMAP 76 so I could do similar test.

Thanks

mcb

Guest gstrong1

I stand corrected mcb.More sensitive would probably a better term to use.I guess the thing I'm really looking for is reliability.As long as I can get within a couple of hundred feet of the published co-ordinates, I'll let my compass take over from there.If the map will not keep a fix on the sats. up to that point, I don't consider it reliable enough to take solo out on a cache hunt.As soon as I take delivery on the external antenna & take it out for a spin,I'll be sure & come back here with the results.Again,let me re-state my purpose for these posts.They are in no way meant to say that the map76 is a bad investment.I'm posting this just to share my findings with others who might be looking to purchase a unit or upgrade from a lesser unit.When outlaying this kind of money,I wish I could have been more informed on the experiences of others.I still would have bought the map76.It has all the features that I was looking for and is very easy to use.But I would not have been expecting it to be the perfect all around gps, right out of the box, that I assumed it would be.I don't think that unit will ever be designed.Thanks mcb & I hope others will come here with some findings of their own.-Gimpy-

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY