my Cache Finder program for Pocket PC

Fuzidave

Programs like this just make me giddy! It works on my Axim x5, with no problems so far (time for extensive field testing!). A question though...I really don't want to tap myself silly entering all my location data. I keep a couple hundred caches on a flash card (portable geocaching!). Is there a limit on the number of caches you can load into the program?

For your program, I added a cache and then tried to find the data file. I'm thinking I can adjust my LOC data and convert it to the Cachefinder format, and save that file on my Axim. Then when I start your prog, it should read the data file and load in all the coordinates. Am I crazy or can I do this?

At any rate, Dude, you are awesome for creating this! Maybe if you get enough response, you'll do updates, like maybe a resolution bar to compensate for longer distant caches? How about a location field that remembers multiple locations? A direct load button to pull those wonderful XML LOC files straight into the program? Skin support? A graphical compass arrow and readout for each cache. The text is nice, but graphics are just that much cooler (I do some UI work for a software company when I'm not geocaching).

Sorry - this program is just too freeking cool, useful and has my vote for two thumbs way up.

Mucho again!

Tim

Team Coordinated

I got the following error on my HP Jornada 540. It has an SH3 processor, and I noticed that you compiled the program to work on SH3, so I'm not sure what happened. I did an uninstall/reinstall a couple of times, but it never loaded successfully.

ERROR.BMP

Steve2k doom.gif

"If I advance, follow me.

If I die, avenge me.

If I retreat, you have obviously mistaken me for someone else."

[This message was edited by Steve2k on March 13, 2003 at 08:45 AM.]

lots of good public and private ideas.

"Can you import a GPX file and sort it?"

i have a stupid question, what generates a GPX file? right now data entry is just a lot of tapping on the palm keyboard. suggestion was made to having a PC program to generate the XML. working on that, then using ActiveSync to send over the file.

"Jordona Problem"

like i said i only tested on my iPaq. the processors listed came from the MS Embedded tools documentation, if they actually work, who knows. but my bro just got one of those, so maybe i can test on his.

SO call me stupid but I have some questions. Does this prog actually capture data from your GPS to enter as the current location? i understand ( I think ) that the other caches are actually just fat fingered in ( right? )and the prog estimates distance to those coords. I am using an Audiovox Maestro with a Pharos CF GPS card. I get good signals in Pocket Streets, Mapopolis, Ostia and Vito Navigator's demo so I believe I'm in good shape signalwise. Very cool idea for a prog. I'm interested in what other Pocket PC/GPS software you guys use too! Bring it on!

Glisson

To live in fear is not to live.

I’ve updated the CacheFinder program for the Pocket PC. I added a PC program also that lets you enter data from the PC. you still manually

have to move the 'caches.xml' file from your pc to your palm pc to see the changes.

on the palm pc, I added a 'clue' section and a status (found, not found, couldn't find). also you can save 5 points of reference to calculate

from (home, work, etc).

let me know what you think.

http://users3.ev1.net/~fuzidave/cachefinderupdate.zip

quote:
Originally posted by FuziDave:

I’ve updated the CacheFinder program for the Pocket PC. I added a PC program also that lets you enter data from the PC. you still manually

have to move the 'caches.xml' file from your pc to your palm pc to see the changes.

on the palm pc, I added a 'clue' section and a status (found, not found, couldn't find). also you can save 5 points of reference to calculate

from (home, work, etc).

let me know what you think.

http://users3.ev1.net/~fuzidave/cachefinderupdate.zip

Dave, I downloaded the update and it doesn't appear to install any changes to my PocketPC - it's just a .vb file and an XML file along with the PC applet.