tracks and routes on meridian platinums

Quick question for you experts on a meriplat,

I saved a track on my meridian platinum today after which I turned off the GPS

When I got home the I down loaded the track to my TOPO software and the track extended all the way to my house from where I turned off the GPS.

Is there a way to prevent this?

If so what do I need to turn on or off?

Thanks in advance.

Mojocacher icon_smile.gif

Hmmm.. I had this same problem.

Leatherman, load the track from the SD card? How do you do that? If I choose to download a track from my GPS using MapSend Topo, it downloads the track from the GPS's memory, and I can't put the track in the GPS's memory without a trackline going to my house.

How do you download it straight from the SD card?

Jamie

Drag and drop the .trk file from your SD reader to your DOCS file in your Magellan folder.

I hope you have a reader.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

JamieZ right this didn't work. I dragged and dropped the files to the DOCS folder but didn't open MapSend to test if the files opened. Sorry for the bad advise.

[This message was edited by leatherman on January 10, 2003 at 03:57 PM.]

What if you saved the track to the SD card at the point you wanted it to end, turned tracking off, and then reloaded the track from the card at the time you wanted to download the track to your computer?

Or would you even have to save it to the card if you just disabled tracking when you were finished tracking?

I'm getting older...it's easier for me to pose the question than to try it out icon_smile.gif

Don't get even - get odd

Yes thats what I do, I have had it happen to me before where a line is drawn between the two points when I load a track. All I do is turn the track loging off and reload the track file and all is well.

But in theory the 330 and up should not draw a line between points if the unit has been off for 4 hours.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Drag and drop the .trk file from your SD reader to your DOCS file in your Magellan folder.

Have you done this? I tried it, and no go.

First, the GPS does not save the track as a *.trk file. In fact, the files on my SD card do not appear to have an extension at all.

So... I renamed my track with a .trk extension. MapSend told me it was not a MapSend file or that it was corrupted.

I'm going to try Embra and Phantom's idea and report back.

Jamie

Mojo,

Here's how I got mine to work.

You'll need an SD card inserted in your Meridian in order to do this.

Make your trip of the track you want. When your done, save the track (menu -> card utilities -> save track). Now you can turn your GPS off, or leave it on, or even clear the track and start a new one--doesn't matter.

When you get home, connect your GPS to the computer and turn it on. Turn off the tracklog (on the map screen: menu -> map setup -> track mode: off) Now clear the track (from the map screen: menu -> clear track -> yes).

At this point, your GPS should have no track in it, and it's not saving any track.

Now load your desired track. (menu -> card utilities -> load track)

You can now send the track to your software without any extraneous stuff.

Unfortunately, this means that you probably can no longer use the track you mention at the beginning of this thread (since now that track has a line going to your house) but next time you'll be able to do it.

Leatherman, if you could explain to me how to get it off the SD card, that'd be much quicker, since a fairly long track takes a while to download from the GPS.

Jamie

[edit: mistyped Leatherman's name, oops.]

[This message was edited by Jamie Z on January 10, 2003 at 03:48 AM.]

You can use GPSBabel to convert an SD card file to a MapSend file. Select "Magellan" as the source type, and select "MapSend" (and .trk as the file extension) as the destination type.

Also, you can use a text editor to remove lines on the SD card between your old track and your house before you do the conversion to get rid of the line to your house.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

You can use GPSBabel to convert an SD card file to a MapSend file. Select "Magellan" as the source type, and select "MapSend" (and .trk as the file extension) as the destination type.

I was just about to suggest that. Thanx.

quote:

Also, you can use a text editor to remove lines on the SD card between your old track and your house before you do the conversion to get rid of the line to your house.

In case that sounds intimidating, it really isn't. While the file is still "raw" (i.e. straight off the flash card) it's very easy to manipulate. When you're looking at it, you'll recognize the coords for your house (don't we all?) although they're in a funny DDD.MMM.MMM * 1000 thing, you'll recognize them. The last two "big" numbers on each line is a time and a date. So when the time "jumps" substantially and the coords show up at your house is when you turned the unit back on and it reacquired a lock. Just vaporize those lines before converting them and you won't get the discontinuity thing.

Garmin protocol "solves" this by making the tracklog into separate fragments. However, it also does this every time they lose lock so a typical geocaching trip can have dozens of fragments this way...

Ok, now I have more questions...LOL

Expert GPS, is this something my MeriPLat came with; or can I down load it from somewhere?

The track I saved ended where I saved it at and that was the last coordibnates listed. So, what I am saying is that even though the track continued to my house it did not have coordinates to erase.

I had to download the saved waypoint coords seperatly from the track, is this normal?

My caching buddy did not have to do this with his sporttrack map, therfore I am thinking that I have a setting wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Mojocacher icon_smile.gif

You can get ExpertGPS from the fine folk at Topografix. It costs money, but I consider it the best software purchase I ever made (and there is a 30 day trial period).

They also offer the freeware EasyGPS...I don't know the differences between the two, or whether EasyGPS can do what you want to do in this situation. SHould be easy enough to find out, though: give 'em a try!

Don't get even - get odd