GPS reception under pine trees

Guest CharlieP

Guest CharlieP

I have noticed that my GPS often has reception problems under pine trees, and other geocachers have the same problem at those same cache locations here in north Georgia (USA). I remember someone telling me that a radio frequency with a wavelength about the same as the length of the pine needles will be severely weakened passing through the tree top. I computed the wavelength of the GPS signal to be about 7.5 inches, which is about the length of our typical pine needle. Can anyone confirm my math and/or verify this theory?

CharlieP

Guest lee_rimar

t loses lock.

But I've come to realize this is an exceptional handheld unit. I recently bought (and returned) a much more expensive, newer model and found it didn't perform neary as well.

Guest EraSeek

Forester has mentioned in the past that a WET canopy will greatly inhibit a signal. I'm wondering if sap content also makes a difference. Pine probably has a greater sap content then many other trees.

UniverseAndMan%2Ejpg

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Forester has mentioned in the past that a WET canopy will greatly inhibit a signal. I'm wondering if sap content also makes a difference. Pine probably has a greater sap content then many other trees.

A wet canopy has all to do with Multi-path and acts like a disco crystal ball.

Really don't think sap would affects things much more than the obstructions themselves.

Cheers, Kerry.