30 mile hike/ Tracking question with meridian set to detailed

I have the Meridian Yellow and I'm going on a 30 mile hike this weekend that I would like to store in my tracklog and then view it later on a satellite image or on a detailed topo map, however I'm worried about memory running out as I want to set the track mode to auto detailed. I will be clearing all memory and tracklogs at the start of the hike. Thanks!

Nathan & Anne

You can save your track to the SD card via the card utilities menu. The trick would be to save it before the track memory fills up and starts overwriting itself. You can monitor this information by checking Menu/About. Just save files numbered sequentially as track memory approaches capacity.

I'm not sure what you'll have to go through to download the files to your computer (probably reload them one by one into active memory in the Yellow then transfer), but I'm sure it's doable.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Yes I do have an sd card, but I didn't really want to deal with checking the memory status all the time ont he hike, I was just wanting to see what was the highest amount of detail I could set it at without using up all of it's internal memory. How many track points are it's max and I guess I could do some figuring. Thanks!

Nathan & Anne

I can't give you any hard numbers as to whether or not you'll make it, as with the Auto settings, the number of trackpoints saved per given distance varies based on how much variation such as turns are involved in your trip.

With my sportraks, that's right about the limit of a winding mountainous hike, but in flatter terrain with less twists and turns I can get considerably more mileage than that on detailed auto. A good option with the Meridian is to save your track to an SD card somewhere around halfway through the trip. Should you then end up wrapping the track, it's easy to join the saved and active routes back together on your computer.

Watch out for blisters

Jeff

Your track can contain up to 2000 points.

At the most detailed setting, .01mi, you can store up to 20 miles. At the next highest setting, .05mi, you can store up to 100 miles. You would definitely be able to store your 30 mile hike at that resolution.

The lowest setting records a point about every 50 ft. The next one records one about every 250ft. If 250ft is not an accurate enough for you, you are going to have to use "auto detailed", and check it at some point in your hike. If it doesn't look like you will fit the whole thing, change it to "auto" or .05mi setting.

Great! Thanks for all the responses guys! I will probably just use the most detailed (.01 setting)then when I reach halfway just save to sd card as track1 and then clear track history and then when complete save to track2. That will put 15 miles on each log so that should work as long as your calculations are correct saying that at the most detailed setting(.01) I can get 20 miles. I don't think auto would help much as there won't be too many straight stretches unless auto detailed marks a spot when turning more accurately than every 50 feet(.01), but I doubt it would this, .01 is probably as accurate as you can get. What do you think?

Nathan & Anne