Delete Lovelock Caches ?

I suggest we take a vote on whether the 35 Lovelock caches should be deleted - rather than remain archived as they have been since 5th November. Now that I do not have write access to these geocaching.com pages, they are rapidly drifting away from reality. The log I posted saying that they were missing and that I no longer had write access has also been deleted. These caches are obviously on several other geocaching sites which are kept up-to-date as they are replaced or changed. I'm relaxed on the final decision, and suggest that the moderaters inform me and Jeremy of their decision after a suitable period of discussion.

Robin Lovelock

Caches should remain archived, not deleted from the database. They are a history of geocaching, however painful this particular story may be for some. The caches in question have prompted many discussions, all over the world. They are referenced in multiple threads on several differing forums. Making it all just "go away" might be tidy, but then that saga in geocaching history is lost forever, and all those old discussions lose their point of referance for newcomers to review.

All other missing, plundered, or illegally placed caches still remain in the database, these caches should be no exception

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Robin,

I have no firm view on this myself being relatively new to all this, but given the views of the majority of the forum, deletion might be the best option (for this site).

Then we can all be friends again icon_smile.gif and enjoy caching!

El10t

Robin,

I have no firm view on this myself being relatively new to all this, but given the views of the majority of the forum, deletion might be the best option (for this site).

Then we can all be friends again icon_smile.gif and enjoy caching!

El10t

I'll go with the majority opinion, I just want this civil war :-) to end.

I don't do archived caches anyway, they're usually archived for good reason so it makes no difference to me if they're archived or rwally deleted. If they reappear as live caches, I'll just do them and then I'll have an opinion on them.

We're going to need a bigger boat!

I think that only Jeremy can delete caches from the system, and I don't think he will.

They are archived, lets just leave it at that.

If Robin hadn't logged them all as finds last week, they would have faded away anyway. You have to question his motives for doing that.

alex.

Personally, I dont think it will make much difference whatever the Geocaching community says, Robin will continue to try it on.

Even after his caches were archived in November he tried to add another three caches (that I know of) despite the fact that he knew about the objections which were obvious.

Even amidst all this furore and the posts and his replies about not advertising his websites and himself he just could not resist mentioning one again yesterday. See http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1500909683&m=1330925493

As Kimrobin said above, they would have faded away if Robin had not started again. The forums had also been quiet and happy until Robin started again, Ok, I have to admit that if our caches went missing I would be annoyed (to say the least).

Robin says that his "calling cards" are not "advertising material". In the log for "Cranbourne" he says "Visited to put in some calling cards promoting Tony & Robin's site". "Advertising material" or "Promoting" what's the difference ?

Below is a scan of one of his cards which he left in one of our caches. We will let the community decide whether it is fair and reasonable to promote other sites (particularly competing sites) using Jeremy's facilities which he has provided to us all free of charge.

Our caches are only on Geocaching.com which we whole-heartedly support therefore we do not wish to have our caches used for promoting the other Geocaching sites. Don't misunderstand, we have nothing against the other sites but let them promote themselves rather than off the back of someone else.

lovelock.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

I think that only Jeremy can delete caches from the system, and I don't think he will.

I actually agree with this, although I think they should be deleted, there are probably good reasons why they were permanently archived rather than deleted, back in November.

If there is a problem with physically deleting the caches, perhaps if the pages were just blanked down that would solve the problem?

Richard

I also think they should remain archived. On the geocaching web site archived = no longer there or status unknown. Archiving the cache allows the log entries to remain. While the number of finds is not important to me, it is to some and deleting the cache would lower that number. Also deleting the caches will delete parts of geocachers finding history.

I would never seek out an archived cache - I assume it isn't there, as that is often the reason caches are archived.

Groover