New guy with Questions!

Hi,new to this game! Can somebody confirm in simple language what settings to use on an eTrex. Am I correct having it set to:- hddd*mm.mmm* and WGS 84? Also what North reference is recomended and is any variance required? All help greatfully received.

If you want to use it with a compass (a good idea) and don't want to do mental arithmetic all the time, set the North to "Magenetic".

If you're using it with a map then you should set it appropriately to the map.

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Hi LimaOne, welcome to the fold.

We too use the default settings and it works great for us.

Perhaps it's more difficult up-north, but we have NEVER used one of those complicated, impossible-to-fold-up-map-thingy's just for the purpose of finding a cache. We do use the maps on the Geocaching pages (and MapSource) to get the rough location (like which town/village) and a good route to that location or to plan a route around a number of caches.

Once in the general area of the cache we drive around following the pointy thingy on the E-Trex until we find a close parking place (usually at/near a footpath) and then go for a walk.

I'm not suggesting that those who use maps are wrong. I guess there is a lot of pleasure in using maps to determine a path to follow, it's just not our our way of doing it.

I guess that using a map is a case of how you like to play the game but the end shot is, if you don't use a map, the compass setting does not matter, you will still get to the cache.

Good luck and happy caching to you.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Hi LimaOne, welcome to the fold.

We too use the default settings and it works great for us.

Perhaps it's more difficult up-north, but we have NEVER used one of those complicated, impossible-to-fold-up-map-thingy's just for the purpose of finding a cache. We do use the maps on the Geocaching pages (and MapSource) to get the rough location (like which town/village) and a good route to that location or to plan a route around a number of caches.

Once in the general area of the cache we drive around following the pointy thingy on the E-Trex until we find a close parking place (usually at/near a footpath) and then go for a walk.

I'm not suggesting that those who use maps are wrong. I guess there is a lot of pleasure in using maps to determine a path to follow, it's just not our our way of doing it.

I guess that using a map is a case of how you like to play the game but the end shot is, if you don't use a map, the compass setting does not matter, you will still get to the cache.

Good luck and happy caching to you.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Great to have you on board LimaOne.

Like everyone else I leave the e-Trex set on the defaults and this has kept me on the straight and narrow (well all over the place really but you know what I mean!).

Unlike some others I actually use OS maps to get me in the right area and to find suitable parking spots and footpaths. Once I'm walking though I concentrate on the GPS to actually get me to the cache. Doing it this way I've not had a problem with the default settings.

As an aside, as many here will know, I was having problems with an apparent 35ft offset on my e-trex summit. I've found that once I get within 100ft or so if I stop for about 2-3 minutes for the GPS to stabilise it's spot on.

Happy caching, Peter

The eTrex range electronic compasses have a published accuracy of +/- 5 degrees. Since the variation of magnetic to true Northin the UK is only about 4 degrees, it's not really worth the effort of worrying about which setting to use. I have left mine on the default which I think is true North and it works for me.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

As an aside, as many here will know, I was having problems with an apparent 35ft offset on my e-trex summit. I've found that once I get within 100ft or so if I stop for about 2-3 minutes for the GPS to stabilise it's spot on.

Happy caching, Peter

Ah, Peter, and just when Garmin had agreed to add in the "Howard Factor" in the next software update....................

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

The eTrex range electronic compasses have a published accuracy of +/- 5 degrees. Since the variation of magnetic to true Northin the UK is only about 4 degrees, it's not really worth the effort of worrying about which setting to use.

Except that there is a systematic error here - the 4 degrees is always in the same direction. You could be 9 degrees out.

Still probably not worth worrying about though.

(By the way - Happy Birthday! icon_biggrin.gif )

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

[This message was edited by el10t on June 13, 2002 at 02:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

The eTrex range electronic compasses have a published accuracy of +/- 5 degrees. Since the variation of magnetic to true Northin the UK is only about 4 degrees, it's not really worth the effort of worrying about which setting to use.

Except that there is a systematic error here - the 4 degrees is always in the same direction. You could be 9 degrees out.

Still probably not worth worrying about though.

(By the way - Happy Birthday! icon_biggrin.gif )

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

True, but when geocaching, I would ague that even a 10 degree error is not a real problem. In fact, the only thing you need is the arrow that tells you where to walk next. The position that the N on the compass ring points to is irrelevant and the arrow would have to be much more than 10 degrees out for you not to get closer to the cache when you walk in that direction.

The basic eTrex relies on knowing which way you were moving to give you a bearing and yet owners of eTrexes still seem to find caches.

BTW I'm exactly half as old as the number of caches I have done.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching