What should you put in a cache?

Hi Guys,

Here is the sort of "official view", from the gc.com guidelines.

"What is usually in a cache?

A cache can come in many forms but the first item should always be the logbook. In its simplest form a cache can be just a logbook and nothing else. The logbook contains information from the founder of the cache and notes from the cache's visitors. The logbook can contain much valuable, rewarding, and entertaining information. A logbook might contain information about nearby attractions, coordinates to other unpublished caches, and even jokes written by visitors. If you get some information from a logbook you should give some back. At the very least you can leave the date and time you visited the cache.

Larger caches may consist of a waterproof plastic bucket placed tastefully within the local terrain. The bucket will contain the logbook and any number of more or less valuable items. These items turn the cache into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the founder or other visitors of the cache may have left there for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, its only fair for you to leave something in return. Items in a bucket cache could be: Maps, books, software, hardware, CD's, videos, pictures, money, jewelry, tickets, antiques, tools, games, etc. It is recommended that items in a bucket cache be individually packaged in a clear zipped plastic bag to protect them.

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache."

As I said these are the official geocaching.com guidelines and are the ones that are applied when caches are put up for approval.

There are other sets of guidelines, for example these are for Hampshire CC owned lands:

"Exploring the Countryside with GPS - Cache placement guidelines

DRAFT GUIDELINES FOR GEOCACHING ON LAND OWNED/MANAGED BY HCC COUNTRYSIDE SERVICE

The following guidelines have been developed by Countryside Rangers, Rights of Way Officers, and members of the Geocaching Community. Geocaching is a very new pursuit, and these guidelines are published in draft form in order to ensure that the activity can progress in harmony with the many other interests and legal constraints involved in the countryside. We are pleased that Groundspeak, the US owners of geocaching.com, have stated "We truly commend Hampshire County Council on being the first land owning/managing authority to take such a progressive step".

Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that the content is harmless and giving the placer's e-mail address or other contact method. Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an unaccompanied child to find should be placed in the cache.

No cache may be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to any Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM). Protect our heritage.

When placing a cache on a Right of Way, the onus is on the placer to seek the permission of the landowner.

No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.

Caches must not be buried, and holes must not be dug in order to place a cache.

Caches must not be hidden in animal holes or runs.

Cache containers must not be placed inside a polythene bag.

Fences should never be crossed when placing or seeking a cache.

No caches should be of a commercial nature, either in location or content.

After placing a cache on countryside sites, the site Ranger must be informed to ensure that the cache does not compromise the management of the site.

Maintenance of the cache is the responsibility of the placer.

When leaving the cache site, after finding or hiding a cache, there must be no visual sign of disturbance.

For reasons of safety and security Hampshire County Council discourage geocaching on their land during the hours of darkness.

Please do not bring geocaching into disrepute, never drive your car anywhere other than on the highways and byways, and always park sensibly in approved places only. "

In my opinion all the gc.com guidelines are covered here, and there are a couple of extra ones, the one about caches in plastic bags, and the discouragenment of after dark caching.

However, as before clearly stated, in approving a cache, although I may prefer all the UK guidelines to be adhered to, I will only enforce my interpretation of the gc.com ones.

Cheers and Cache well,

Eckington

I don't know how other people with small children feel but my two (5 and 6) quite like finding Happy Meal toys, especially if they are new and still in their bag. Burger King toys are particularly popular because they usually actually DO something!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

I always like a cache that has a selection of totally different type of objects. If it is a child friendly cache a few little toys or figures are good. A few items for the gadget man from the diy shop bargain section. Fridge magnets are always good or touristy type souveneers.

In one cache I found I had forgotten to take my swap bag and I ended up leaving a few of my hard earned coins behind as I did not have time to backtrack to the car and back to the cache again.

When I find a cache I will remove any items that I think are unsafe ie matches, lighters, penknife, cigars or alcohol all of which I have found in the past and I will leave something more appropriate. I usually have a varied selection of swaps with me and will leave something that I think the cache could do with so if it has no childrens toys that is what I will leave.

AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

I don't always like to swop. But is this wrong? Its finding the cache and seeing the country that appeals to me. I can see people with children having some treasure to find at the end of the hunt, or if there is something that takes your fancy by all means swop away.

I would have no hesitation in leaving money if I saw something I liked and had nothing to swap, Because if its found by a wrecker they will wreck it, with or with out my quid.

Deego

My Site

We had a similar dilemma with our microcache. We planted it, went home and then the children in us said that it wasn't fun without the treasure. It doesn't matter what is in the box as it is interesting and a surprise to see what is there. On an amusing note, Wiltshire seems to have been hit with the 'Plague of the blue floral drinks-coasters' which we are now as avidly searching for as the T&J bears.

Is there a registry of collectable sig items ?

Even if there is nothing there that interests us we still usually like to take and leave something, not sure why, it's just part of it.

So for the little toys and trinkets that don't really interest us personally we'll often still take one, and just leave one we got from the last cache.

We're still looking for a signature item though. I've been putting in old gameboy games recently since I discovered a small stash of them packed away (our Dutch cache even had the old Gameboy they went with!) but they'll run out very, very soon and we'll have to think of something else.

If all else fails a couple of AA batteries will usual bne welcome I'm sure icon_smile.gif

What is caches precious?

[ On an amusing note, Wiltshire seems to have been hit with the 'Plague of the blue floral drinks-coasters' which we are now as avidly searching for as the T&J bears.

We think Warwickshire has also been hit by the plague. We recently came across 4 sets of "Blue Floral Drinks- Coasters", and are responsible for spreading it even further - by acting as carriers to the Lake District!

As newbies could we please ask what a T&J bear is? icon_smile.gif

Having recently taken up geocaching with my three kids, we are amazed at some of the junk in the caches and lack of particularly uninteresting stuff for the kids. The good stuff is taken early on. Practically every kid in the land has a box(s) of these mainly plastic ex toys/bric a brac and it seems people are offloading it in the caches. Kids are discerning in what they like, there interest will not be maintained by others left overs.

I feel very much that one man's meat is another man's poison. As long as something placed in a cache doesn't break the guidelines and is in good condition, then that's fine. I've only recently starting caching and I enjoy the hunt and the benefit gained from taking exercise with a purpose, much more interesting than jogging in my opinion. I think on balance that I've left more than I've taken, but I don't take anything unless I have something to leave. I'm planning a cache to be placed in the near future and I hope that what I place in it will prove useful or interesting to others.

Hand made items make great signature items! Adam&Lisa- Team Minstrelcat leave hand made bracelets, which are cool! I have started to leave pyrographed items (items decorated by burning a pattern on to them, key rings, book marks,plaques)if you start to leave hand made signiture items, let people know so they can look out for them. Mancunian Pyrocacher

I burn to cache!

quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian Pyrocacher:

Hand made items make great signature items! Adam&Lisa- Team Minstrelcat leave hand made bracelets, which are cool

I burn to cache!

Thanks for that - I'm dead chuffed you like them! Its interesting to know whether or not my handmade items go down well or not.

I'm now doing a range of handmade cards but we're not planning another trip to Wales just yet, I'm afraid.

Lisa

Whilst little toys and figures are quite sweet for the kids I'm getting a bit bored with them. They're in almost every cache that I visit.

I'd recommend something a little more interesting/practical for 'bigger' kids icon_biggrin.gif what about a small book of stamps (in a little plastic bag in case the cache is a bit damp), or some funky little bits of stationery or little sewing kits... something a bit more interesting and a pleasure to find. Its a positive feedback thing... the better the stuff you leave the better the quality of the caches and so on and so forth. Of course this works in reverse too as I am increasingly finding. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cupajo:

What about a homemade mix CD? Do you think people would be interested in those as cache items?

I think this would be called piracy and I'm not sure if GC.Com would allow this.

On the other hand if I found a CD I wouldn't tell anybody icon_wink.gif

Onwards and upwards. Never retreat, never surrender.

I'm going to be placing my first cache pretty soon, and am stuck for ideas on what to put in it. It is going to be a camouflaged triangular hamlet tin, so things have to be really small, or flat so they can be rolled.

One idea I had was a couple of £1 gift vouchers for the nearby supermarket. Is this allowed or frowned upon?

quote:
Originally posted by katgoddess23:

One idea I had was a couple of £1 gift vouchers for the nearby supermarket. Is this allowed or frowned upon?

As long as the cache itself doesn't advertise the supermarket I don't see a problem at all. I've found vouchers, tickets, money etc. in my time so go for it.

------------------------------

Chill out - I'm doing my best!

Got a bit worried when I saw this at the end of a recent log entry on one of my caches:

Took: Mini flashlight and photo (#22?)

Left: McDonalds chips and stringy thingy (from Wooburn View)

It turns out that 'McDonald's Chips' is a toy not a bag of cold, soggy fried potatoes icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

It turns out that 'McDonald's Chips' is a toy not a bag of cold, soggy fried potatoes icon_biggrin.gif

Showing yer age, John. If it was the food they had left they would be called "fries"...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....