Detail in Cache Pages.

Ben Pid

I have recently made a cache which a few of you have visited.

I have discovered that there are no boundaries as to the amount of HTML you can use on the Cache page. I have just been able to put Java in my page.

I want to know what you think are the limits on the amount you can out on a cache page?

If you come across mine please inform me here if you think I have gone over the top, or if you think I am taking liberties with the priveliges we have as cachers being able to make pages,,I will be happy to take off the detail.

Pid x

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

It might help to post a link to the cache page so that people can easily check it out. I don't think you would be accused of advertising in this instance.

Anyway, I assume you are talking about intergalactic microcache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19455, and I have to say that the music did make me laugh, I was in our office at the time.

I'd say you are free to do what you like on your cache page, but I would avoid anything that makes it take a long time to load the page or makes the page not display correctly in some browsers. The links on Intergalactic Microcache seem to be in white text on my browser which is not helpful.

The only thing that really irritates me about the page is the fact that you have not paid as much attention to spelling and grammar as the rest of the presentation icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

[This message was edited by jeremyp on April 30, 2002 at 11:52 AM.]

It might help to post a link to the cache page so that people can easily check it out. I don't think you would be accused of advertising in this instance.

Anyway, I assume you are talking about intergalactic microcache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19455, and I have to say that the music did make me laugh, I was in our office at the time.

I'd say you are free to do what you like on your cache page, but I would avoid anything that makes it take a long time to load the page or makes the page not display correctly in some browsers. The links on Intergalactic Microcache seem to be in white text on my browser which is not helpful.

The only thing that really irritates me about the page is the fact that you have not paid as much attention to spelling and grammar as the rest of the presentation icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

[This message was edited by jeremyp on April 30, 2002 at 11:52 AM.]

Thanx for the insight there Jeremy,,,I didn't want to put the link there because of recent events on the forums...Didn't want to be accused of advertising my Cache page, I am talking about Intergalactic Microcache though yes.

I have sorted out the links. They are the correct colour now, also added groovy little lines above and below them icon_smile.gif

I don't think the effects it has on other browsers will really effect it though, aslong as you have IE 5.5 or higher everything will work. If you don't have these it'll just use the standard version for the browser,,,EG the black scroll bar will be Grey on IE 5.0 or lower.

The loading thing shouldn't be too much of a problem either...I hope.

I will sort out the grammar now, English never really was my strong point.

Pid xx

Thanx for the insight there Jeremy,,,I didn't want to put the link there because of recent events on the forums...Didn't want to be accused of advertising my Cache page, I am talking about Intergalactic Microcache though yes.

I have sorted out the links. They are the correct colour now, also added groovy little lines above and below them icon_smile.gif

I don't think the effects it has on other browsers will really effect it though, aslong as you have IE 5.5 or higher everything will work. If you don't have these it'll just use the standard version for the browser,,,EG the black scroll bar will be Grey on IE 5.0 or lower.

The loading thing shouldn't be too much of a problem either...I hope.

I will sort out the grammar now, English never really was my strong point.

Pid xx

I didn't want my last comment to sound too heavy. Overall, I liked the effect which was in tune (pun intended) with the cache's theme.

I'd ask anybody designing any kind of web page to keep in mind the facts that not everybody uses M$ IE 6.0 on Windows XP, that flashy design and effects sometimes get in the way of the information and not everybody has a T1 link to their house.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
I have discovered that there are no boundaries as to the amount of HTML you can use on the Cache page. I have just been able to put Java in my page.
You should find you can't include JavaScript and expect it to work. I prefer cache descriptions not to use any scripting at all. This topic has been well hammered in the General and geocaching.com sections of this BB.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I also agree with Jeremy, it should cater for all browsers but nevermind its still really fun if you have the right browser...if not,,,aslong as the COrds are readable then I don't think its cause for concern. Sorry to the Linux User....but that is a free OS so can you really expect anything flashy.

Pid x

I've just downloaded the Mozilla 1.0 rc 1 build for my Macintosh, and the page looks a complete mess in it. Some of the text is overlaid on other text and the background image and sound fails to work at all.

Interestingly the advert on the main geocaching page also fails to render, but I don't care about that icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

I've just downloaded the Mozilla 1.0 rc 1 build for my Macintosh, and the page looks a complete mess in it. Some of the text is overlaid on other text and the background image and sound fails to work at all.

Interestingly the advert on the main geocaching page also fails to render, but I don't care about that icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

Ok getting to the point here....

I don't think the moral of this thread shouldbe about the Java and layout on my page being poor,,,I think the moral should be:

Don't get Mozilla Browser because it doesn't let you view the internet the way it should be seen....if it can't support freeware java applets or simple HTML what on earth is the purpose in its existance?

Pid xx

As a fairly non technical person i.e. if it works, fine; if it's broken or doesn't work, don't ask me, all I can say, please keep things simple for everyone's sake. I'm not in this to learn more about computing, I'm in it to get out and about and see new places.

It's generally a good idea to turn all the scripting off and make sure the description still makes sense. Remember that the more bells and whistles you add, the fewer folks will be able to see the page the same way you do.

BTW, it's worth using generic font names as far as possible; "sans-serif" in place of "arial", "serif" in place of "times", "monospace" in place of "courier", or whatever...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

But if you put the scripting in you are going to know it isnt going to work if you turn that scripting off surely?

I don't normally use the normal font in the page anyway. I Upload the .PFR file and Link the .PFR file 2the HTML, the server supports the MIME format so basically regardless whether you have the font on your computer you will get the font up. Didn't do it for IMC though, wasn't worth it, thought you either have the font or you don't really.

Pid xx

I suppose it comes down to whether the whistles and bells that can be enjoyed by most of us, are worth the unintended exclusion of some of us....

I use a psion when I'm out & about so lots of sites don't work on the limited browser on the psion. At home it's IE6, so I catch them there.

I wouldn't expect the site to be stripped to cope with my lowest common denominator, although a PDA site has been suggested before.

FWIW I was amused by the intergalactic microcache, so it gets my thumb up!

quote:

Don't get Mozilla Browser because it doesn't let you view the internet the way it should be seen....if it can't support freeware java applets or simple HTML what on earth is the purpose in its existance?

The problem is not necessarily Mozilla. It's a fully featured web browser. Your page has stuff in it that is technically not legal (background tags in the body of the HTML etc) or stuff that is interpreted differently by different browsers. You simply chose not to bother testing your HTML against all the common broswers which I don't necessarily blame you for - life's too short - but assuming everybody has M$ IE 6 is really poor netiquette.

The web is supposed to be open. Don't make it an M$ only club.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
assuming everybody has M$ IE 6 is really poor netiquette. The web is supposed to be open. Don't make it an M$ only club.

You can't cater for everyone with this sort of thing, some people just use whichever browser they are used to it even if it is inferior to the other equally free ones out there. Others will use whichever browser they can because isn't from Microsoft. To put together a site that is truly cross-browser would be extremely dull looking as they all have their own liberal interpretations of the HTML W3C spec. The stats show that the people that don't use IEx are a tiny minority that have to take what they can get due to their poor choice of browser.

The web is open imho lets hope it IS a M$ show then it will look better as time goes by rather than worse.

quote:
Originally posted by dawnrazor:

You can't cater for everyone with this sort of thing,

You can cater for most people by sticking to the standards. There are plenty of techniques for making web sites look reasonable in any browser even if you do put some advanced features in for people with advanced browsers. Any page should be at least readable and navigable even in a text only browser.

quote:

To put together a site that is truly cross-browser would be extremely dull looking as they all have their own liberal interpretations of the HTML W3C spec.

Complete rubbish! There are a lot of sites that look good in at least IE x, Netscape 4.x and Mozilla/Netscape 6 which are the browsers that I use most of the time.

quote:

The web is open imho lets hope it IS a M$ show then it will look better as time goes by rather than worse.

The thought of Microsoft controlling anything in this way fills me with horror. IE is currently the best browser, unless you take its abysmal security into account, but it is only that way because they were being beaten by Netscape and took a decision to compete with them. With no competition there will be no incentive for Microsoft to improve their products and we'll all be forced to use their proprietary, virus ridden, insecure, unreliable crud.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

So where abouts can I download this Mozilla Browser from anyway? I want to see what its all about.

http://www.mozilla.org

But don't get your hopes too high. It has an extremely good rendering engine, but all the stuff they built around it makes it very slow compared to IE. Mozilla and Netscape 6.x are actually the same thing.

The one advantage of Mozilla over IE is that it is open source, so if you can read C++ and Javascript, you can actually see how it does things and even contribute code to the project.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
To put together a site that is truly cross-browser would be extremely dull looking
Not necessarily. In my experience it's the sites that use the non-standard stuff that more often look like junk.
quote:
they all have their own liberal interpretations of the HTML W3C spec.
...or more to the point, they all have their own non-standard extensions.
quote:
The stats show that the people that don't use IEx are a tiny minority
...is 15% a tiny minority? That's the proportion of non-IE users I see hitting one website I maintain.
quote:
poor choice of browser
That's a subjective judgement.

I'll leave the final word to Tim Berners-Lee:

quote:
Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network.

Cheers,

Lazy Leopard.

Best Viewed with Any Browser

LOL! QUOTE QUOTE QUOTE.....

Sounds to me like IE is the best browser coz with IE you can see the whole web perfectly,,,yes the web should cater for users of other browsers too,,,but whats the point if IE does the lot anyway? Yes I understand the thought of M$ taking over the web is a shocking thought,,,but why not let them if it fdoes the lot...to be fair M$ have got quite a big stake in the pie of the computing world anyways so lets just give into their cry.....Bill Gates take us......

Pid xx

I'm sorry, I seem to have wandered in here by mistake. I thought this was a forum about geocaching but it seems to be the age old "my browser is better than yours" argument forum.

How do I get out?

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

...for Microsoft to improve their products and we'll all be forced to use their proprietary, virus ridden, insecure, unreliable crud.

Careful - you might get done for libel. I'm not sure any M$ product has had a virus built into it.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

Youre right - this IS a pointless argument. Now excuse me while I write a letter to the BBC complaining about how they are ruining my viewing experience on my black and white TV by not explaining which colour ball is which during the snooker like they used to.

It's healthy to have a heated discussion every now and again. The day that nobody posts anything controversial to these forums is the day they become too boring to read.

The topic of this forum is "is it OK to put flash stuff in your geocaching web pages" and my position on that is, yes it is fine as long as it is browser neutral and where you use a feature that is not available in some browsers, the experience should degrade gracefully. Anything else is poor web design.

Claiming that some browsers are inferior simply because they interpret the standards differently from IE on Windows makes me very angry and depressed.

-------

jeremyp

This appears to be a bit of a boys debate -can we have an argument about something really important for example the price of knitting wool at the moment is ridiculous. It must be all those geocachers out scaring the sheep icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Seriously - please keep going cos I get loads of amusement from wondering whether the easy going chap I married is the ranting fool that keeps posting on this particular thread

Cheers

Peta (Mrs DawnRazor)

This appears to be a bit of a boys debate -can we have an argument about something really important for example the price of knitting wool at the moment is ridiculous. It must be all those geocachers out scaring the sheep icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Seriously - please keep going cos I get loads of amusement from wondering whether the easy going chap I married is the ranting fool that keeps posting on this particular thread

Cheers

Peta (Mrs DawnRazor)

If you design a souped up page with all the bells and whistles you can think of then good for you.

If I cant read it because my Spectrum wont do that sort of thing then its of no real concern to me. You just get one less person who might have been to your cache. Whats the big fuss about.

If you've got it flaunt it, if you havent either live with it or quit moaning about it or get it yourself !!!

Apparently you just put the relevant background HTML tags in your description. Technically this produces illegal HTML when the page is served up, but most browsers - well IE and Mozilla based ones anyway cope with it.

I'm not a web author, but Tim & June and Pid could tell you the details.

-------

jeremyp

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

You have to use a

tag in HTML, You place this at the top of the description of the cache bit......first of all find the background that you like..find out its exact location on the web...EG, http://www.geocaching.com/badger.jpg .. and use this code-

Or if you would prefer the background to just be a color use this code:

The #000000 represents the color black..

To find out all the codes for all the colours clickhere

and change the code acordingly.

Simple as that.

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)