WINCHESTER 2003 - A WORLD FIRST

The advert below has been placed in the Primary Times which is circulated through schools to all parents of primary school children. Should be out around 9th July.

Two radio broadcasts have gone out and another one today.

geo ad.jpg

[This message was edited by THE BRAMBLERS on July 03, 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Scrooge:

Are these GAGB people ever going to stop patting themselves on the back........??? icon_confused.gif

Bah, humbug!

Fe Fi Fo Fum... oh, hang on, that's giants not trolls. I do beg your pardon.

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Are these GAGB people ever going to stop patting themselves on the back........???

Now let me see, who was the first to mention the GAGB in this thread ... ?

Ah ! here it is, somebody called Scrooge.

Oh! Sorry, that was you. Oh dear ! silly me.

I seem to remember saying this before, when you can say that you have done something for the good of the geocaching community as a whole, you might have room to criticise.

Till then, why not be a nice person ?

quote:

Are these GAGB people ever going to stop patting themselves on the back........??? icon_confused.gif

Bah, humbug!

Beyond informing fellow cachers what is going on, I do not feel the GAGB are indulging in self-gratification.

Scrooge, I defy you to justify your remarks and to provide equal if not better service to geocaching.

We would like to thank the HCC and the The Bramblers especially, along with NTL, Garmin, GeocacheUK, The Blitzes & all the others who have been involved in setting up this event. Positive forward thinking deserves a massive pat on the back icon_smile.gif .

The detractors cannot belittle your achievements! Let them disappear into the 'Betamax' oblivion!

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by The Land Ranger:

I seem to remember saying this before, when you can say that you have done something for the good of the geocaching community as a whole, you might have room to criticise.

Pot? Kettle? Black?

Seems to me this Land Ranger person is a little suspicious. Never found a cache yet feels able to comment. Is this what's known as a Troll? What do others think?

Anyway the weather seems set fair for the GAGB Picnic on Sunday, I hope you have a great time and let's hope the sun shines on the 19th as well for the big HCC/GAGB weekend. Not living in the area I won't be able to make it. Shame.

As happy as a piggy in ordure.

quote:
Originally posted by piggly:

Pot? Kettle? Black?

Seems to me this Land Ranger person is a little suspicious. Never found a cache yet feels able to comment. Is this what's known as a Troll? What do others think?

Oh dear!

Looks like I have been busted ! icon_frown.gif

Now then, Let's see if I can find anybody else with zero finds ...

Oh look, here's one, what's his name ?

Well Scrooge of course ! icon_razz.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Well done the Bramblers and all others involved in what looks like it's going to be a fun day for all. You have my total admiration and respect for what you are doing for the rest of us. I cant find the time to make it,so those of you who are going to be there, have a good day and take plenty photo's to show us how the day went.

Nige

The Northumbrian is a member of The Geocaching Association of Great Britain

quote:

Bah, humbug!

Feel free to join GAGB, and then you too can pat *yourself* on the back when you do something that benefits lots of geocachers in the UK. icon_smile.gif

You could also try looking up some geocaches in your local area, nip out and do one, and increase your 'geocaches found' count to 1. icon_wink.gif

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

Originally posted by DerekReed:

Feel free to join GAGB, and then you too can pat *yourself* on the back..............

QUOTE]

This breakaway group has it's own, members only, forums. - WHY??

I know the reason that GCUK set up it's own forums was to publish stuff that Geocaching.com thought inappropriate, eg advertisng ones caches etc. Why does GAGB see the need to set up its own forums?? Is this a form of censorship? (If you don't join us we don't want to listen to you? - Even though we "speak for Geocaching in the UK")

Why don't they keep their own self righteous "back slapping" on their own forums?

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Bah, humbug!

Well done for keeping a good thread at the top Scrooge! icon_cool.gif

Just one thing: where does it say that the HCC cache bash is anything to do with the GAGB?

I'm sure we'd all be interested to know.

Granted, some folks who are helping to organise the event are indeed members of the GAGB, but this is not a GAGB-run event.

On a much more important note: after several discussions at the Family Picnic today it looks like the HCC event is going to be a goodun! There'll be caches galore, fun and games, plenty for GeoMuggles and Pro's alike to do.

And if you all pay me enough, I'll promise NOT to bring my guitar and sing at you! icon_razz.gif

One thing I'd like to check with y'all: I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that? I mean, you all have a GPSr and the GeoMuggles don't: they're gonna need some Sherpas!

I know I've mentioned this before and lots of folks have said "yeah, sure, I'll do it" but I just want to make sure you all know what you're in for. This is not an ordinary cache-bash, after all! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Omally wrote:

I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that?

I certainly am.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

Just one thing: where does it say that the HCC cache bash is anything to do with the GAGB?

I'm sure we'd all be interested to know.

Granted, some folks who are helping to organise the event are indeed members of the GAGB, but this is not a GAGB-run event.................

quote:
Originall posted by Team Blitz

......I'm hoping to put up an A4 "GAGB" sign, and a "Geocacher's Picnic" sign at the entrance to the car-park, so you'll know you're at the right place..............

paul

............and the picnic was not a GAGB organised event either...............

icon_wink.gif

Bah, humbug!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

quote:
Omally wrote:

I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. <snip> Is everyone up for that?

I certainly am.

Bill

Cheers Bill!

Anyone else keen to help out? Scrooge, how about yourself? Fancy doing some good for Geocaching (as a whole, not just "exclusive" parts of it)?

In fact, why not come along and find out more about the whole sport? No-one's out to alienate you or anything: we're all just up for having a good time in the woods (oo-er!) so please, come along and make some friends. icon_smile.gif

quote:

One thing I'd like to check with y'all: I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that?

Count me in. It's the sort of thing I was expected to be called upon to do. icon_wink.gif

What time are the other bits being set up?

I've taken the whole weekend off, and can be there not long after breakfast on the Friday to help out...

Derek

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I'd like to check with y'all: I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count us in,

Ann and Brian

quote:

I know I've mentioned this before and lots of folks have said "yeah, sure, I'll do it" but I just want to make sure you all know what you're in for. This is not an ordinary cache-bash, after all! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes. We are aware of what's expected. Two people with 2 GPSrs. Happy to show people the ropes as a pair or individually.

Looking forward to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

Yes. We are aware of what's expected. Two people with 2 GPSrs. Happy to show people the ropes as a pair or individually.

I'm just a guy with two GPSrs. I could show one person / group or possibly two people or groups if they stand very close together icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:

One thing I'd like to check with y'all: I've set up a GeoMuggle training multi-cache for the day. This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that? I mean, you all have a GPSr and the GeoMuggles don't: they're gonna need some Sherpas!

Yep, definitely. Said I was coming along to help, and that wasn't *just* for the free camping!! 1 dame with GPSr, hopefully also with Landranger map of the area by then.

Sorry for the double, I got caught by this thread before seeing the other thread for HCC helpers. I have volunteered for geomuggle shepherding over there too, if the two jobs are not part of the same, I will go where I am most useful but would prefer to take geomuggles into the woods after the 12 caches being set up for the day.

Well done HCC! Let's all show them how good for the countryside we can be and do some cache in trash out while we are there.

On a darker note... strange choice of location... I used to live in the are and was one night up on the mount for a walk. It was late when I returned to my car and had long since gone dark. I was just sitting having a smoke before driving off when a police car entered the car park. The driver came and aske me who I was and what I was doing... Once he was assued that I was a fine(ish) upstanding member of society, he told me there had been a man in the area for several years spying on amourous couples. He had attempted to drag people into the woods on occasions and was belived to be armed. I was advised that the area was not the place to be at night. This was about two years ago now, and I haven't heard of a person being arrested for these happenings. Advise caution overnight, and if doing the night cache... please stay safe in sizeable groups. Hope this hasn't alarmed anybody too much... enjoy the weekend, and see you there!

Hi again,

Just thought I'd investigate further... rang Hanpshire Constabulary... advice is to avoid the area at night... the person I spoke to was alarmed that we plan to walk around in the dark on a night-cache! Don't know who's organising the night-cache, but hope that they are aware of the problems up there and precautions are in place.

icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by NattyBooshka:

Sure... I used to walk up there lots, over a period of 4 or 5 years. I'm sure we will be safe, but just wanted to make people aware that the HCC guidelines on geocaching and police advice differ at this particular location.

HCC guidelines and police advice do not differ. Whilst neither organisation can stop people geocaching at night, they would prefer them not to.

HCC have not organised a night cache for this event. The HCC event runs from 10 am until 4.30 pm.

quote:
Originally posted by NattyBooshka:

Just thought I'd investigate further... rang Hanpshire Constabulary... advice is to avoid the area at night

If you were to ring up the police, and ask "would it be safe to visit Wrexham at night" (where there were very recent problems) I bet they would reply "It's maybe best to avoid the area, sir". I don't think *I'd* be worried about it though.

As someone else said, its probably standard procedure.

... the person I spoke to was alarmed that we plan to walk around in the dark on a night-cache!

I'd love to have heard you trying to explain what a "night-cache" is! You did, of course, tell them that we're supposed to be going around in groups (well I CERTAINLY will be!)? And having met many cachers, to be honest, I'd prefer not to meet THEM on a dark night in the middle of the woods! icon_smile.gif

Hey, maybe you could organise us a night cache in the day... now THAT would be safe!

Don't know who's organising the night-cache, but hope that they are aware of the problems up there and precautions are in place.

I'm sure they are now.... that's if they feel they want to continue with doing it.

Of course, if you feel at all unsafe, better make sure you leave the site before dusk.

I'm...

Not a Troll,

but a Geocacher.

[Plug Mode]

The computers for the event are being provided by Replay Computers of Winchester. The Internet connection is being provided by NTL. The Equinet Netpilot Firewall box and many LAN cables are from Centia Ltd in Newbury. Winchester Hospital Radio will be lending some mains cables cables, and Harestock Baptist Church are lending some audio kit and mains cables.

[/Plug Mode]

[This message was edited by Team Blitz on July 11, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

quote:

This means any experienced cachers who turn up may well be called upon to lead GeoMuggles on a merry dance thru the woods to show them exactly how to find caches properly. Is everyone up for that?

I'd be up for that. icon_biggrin.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif