Virtual caches - when should you be able to log a find?

An issue has arisen recently when someone visited one of our 'virtual' caches.

The challenge of the cache is to find two pieces of conflicting information at the site, and to e-mail the details to me. If both pieces of information are correct, then the cache has been completed and a 'find' can be logged.

However, if someone only finds one of the pieces of information, can a find still be logged?

OK, the Geocacher may have visited the area, but is that enough? My belief (however trivial I might seem) is no. Would it not be like following your GPS to the co-ordinates of a 'normal' cache, but not actually finding the box. Would you log that as a find?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

If it's moving, it's not dead...

If your cache was clearly noted on the cache page as a 2 part cache until the whole cache is completed or a good & valid reason is given why one part was not completed I think that the finder should NOT log the cache as "Found".

I also think that the situation of not actually finding the hidden treasure in a cache for any reason other that it has gone missing or similar valid reason means that the cache can not be logged by the cacher as found.

Regards,

Finger

(UK Charter Member)

I agree, for Royal Oaks, my virtual cache, although I am flexible about the exact locations, you have to have found both parts to log the cache.

As some of the people who have had problems with another of my physical caches have proved, it is perfectly possible to get a GPS to read a required set of co-ordinates, or fairly close, and still not find the cache.

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by GAZ:

I agree. There are a few I haven't found, so I have logged them as "not found". The answers to virtuals must be correct, or there would be no point in setting them!

GAZ icon_rolleyes.gif

Here Here,

Otherwise we should change our one in Paddington station to "Send me an Email if you have ever been in the station". Not much point is there ?

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by GAZ:

I agree. There are a few I haven't found, so I have logged them as "not found". The answers to virtuals must be correct, or there would be no point in setting them!

GAZ icon_rolleyes.gif

Here Here,

Otherwise we should change our one in Paddington station to "Send me an Email if you have ever been in the station". Not much point is there ?

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net