buying new gear

I am in the process of buying a lap top and PDA.

I know the laptop can be connected but I don’t know too much about PDA’s

The question is this.

Has anyone connected a PDA to a Etrax. If so what PDA and what connection.

If not, does anyone know if it is possible to do this.

Keith

[This message was edited by The Spokes on May 13, 2003 at 02:46 PM.]

I use an Etrex Vista connected to a Palm Tungsten T (PDA)using Mapopolis software. The Mapopolis mapping detail is no better than the Garmim MetroGuide but the Tungsten does have a slightly bigger screen size and is in colour.

With the Mapopolis pda software you first download the viewer, which is free and then download the County area which is about 8 dollars per county.

Before you buy check out this thread Software for PC, Pocket PC and Palm with 1:50,000 OS Maps

quote:
Originally posted by The Spokes:

I am in the process of buying a lap top and PDA.

I know the laptop can be connected but I don’t know too much about PDA’s

You need a cable for connecting your PDA to a regular PC serial port (AKA a serial "synch cable"), which should be available from the PDA manufacturer.

One the end of this cable, you need to attach either:

(a) A standard etrex data cable, using a gender converter, and a null modem adaptor (or a gender-converting null-modem adaptor) from an electronics store.

or

(:D A specially customised etrex data cable

If you're brave, you can butcher a data cable and construct (:D yourself. Alternatively, they can be bought ready-made from many locations (the memory map website is where I got mine, but they're extremely expensive for what they are!).

Thanks for all the information. I have decided to get a Hp Jornada with a 3/4 keyboard. It comes with a serial connection.

So now I need help from anyone using this set up with a Vista. With this PDA I may be able to do with out a Laptop for the time being.

Many thanks to those who offered help so far. It really was useful and saved a lot of finger work.

Keith

quote:
Originally posted by The Spokes:

Thanks for all the information. I have decided to get a Hp Jornada with a 3/4 keyboard. It comes with a serial connection.

So now I need help from anyone using this set up with a Vista.

Keith

I have just started using a Jornada 928 (briefly marketed by Vodafone as it includes a phone) with a Vista. I am not sure if the 928 is the same as yours, but mine works well with a Null Modem Adaptor which I got from Expansys for the princely sum of £2.94 (I was able to collect as the postage would have been another £4!). This joins the 9 pin serial cable of the Vista with the similar cable from the Jornada.

It works well with Memory Map and MS Autoroute.

Now if only I could get Infomap Navigator on my laptop to talk reliably to my Vista!