One case where democracy rules and screws it up.

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I would point out that they _were_ democratically elected. We had a forum thread for nominations followed by a poll to elect them -

For those who are interested, the poll itself is here where you can see that 34 people voted, and that Tim and June won by only 4 votes. (Over Hornet and Chris and Maria)

It is correct that both us and Moss Trooper were nominated to be moderators rather than elected. I've been moderating for almost exactly a year, so it's not true to say that I've been moderating since before JeremyP started caching. I'll let Moss T say how long he's been moderating as I can't honestly remember!

In terms of visibility, it is correct that I will avoid getting involved in too many discusions, primarily because I think it would affect my neutrality and being seen to be fair. In the main the posts I make are admin related, there is also behind the scenes answering cache questions and problems by email, approving and archiving caches and so on.

If you look through T + J's posts if they express a personal opinion they will say that it is one. Whilst the spokesperson work they have done wasn't officially part of the moderator and admin 'job description' the hobby is very young, and still evolving. I personally think what they have done has been worthwhile, and much appreciate the time and effort both Tim and June have put in to raising the profile of the hobby in the media, and especially the effort they put into trying to raise the profile of the hobby and get us permission to use areas of land owned by big landowners, which as a read of some of the US forums will show is a big issue on the other side of the pond.

Regards,

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Stay away from undergrowth during the month of June when deer give birth and leave their young in the undergrowth.

During the month of October deer culling takes place, play safe and stay away.

Do not wrap your cache in a plastic bag.

Do not place your cache in disused animal holes (this is a criminal offence at least in some parts maybe everywhere)

Plus of course the other things already in our guidelines.

Perhaps we should take these on board anyway.

Yep, I'd say so. We're much more likely to hide (and hunt) caches safely and without causing any trouble if we know about the possible problems, hazards and legal issues beforehand...

I'm interested to see the one about plastic bags, 'cos I've always been a bit uncomfortable about cache containers that were augmented by items in bags beside (rather than inside) the cache itself, but couldn't figure out why it seemed wrong....

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Ok. Well I am not leaving this forum. I dont see why I should.....

Could someone please point me in the direction of the Offending post please. I cant seem to find it. I hope it isnt deleted because that would be blasphemy!

Well anyway - looks like we are going to have to get used to Virtual caching coz thats all it will end up if we dont stop bickering.

If you feel it nesscesary to reply to this post guns blazing....please stop and think to yourself what would Pid do....I would turn the light out thats what.

Arrrrre to hell with it it only a hunt for a lunchbox why be so serious!

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

Ok. Well I am not leaving this forum. I dont see why I should.....

Could someone please point me in the direction of the Offending post please. I cant seem to find it. I hope it isnt deleted because that would be blasphemy!

Well anyway - looks like we are going to have towhat.

Pid

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

_Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!_

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Pid, you have me scratching my head as to what you are going on about, Have I missed something?

Has anyone asked you to leave?or what post are you writing about?, Is it from something from the past? No nastiness here intended Pid I'm just curious as to what your post is about.

Nige

Its in English Nigel you can read. If you feel it nesscesary to comment or you simply like you say dont understand please email me. I dont feel its the right place to discuss it because your obviously intent on being patronising.

Ben

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

It seems to be almost agreed (if that's possible in these forums) that common sense is needed when placing/finding caches. This should indeed be the case and it is hard to understand how we all seem to be getting a little too het up over this whole issue: certainly fighting amongst ourselves is going to do no good at all.

If worst comes to the worst, we could always have multi-caches where the co-ordinates given are for info-boards and signs on Forestry Commision land, various clues are solved and the final destination of the cache itself is a non-advertised pub and we can meet up on a Sunday lunch-time to sit around and remember the "good old times"... only thing is, the good times are *now*, people.

By the way, (and I'm really sorry to say this) due to extended hibernation, I missed the whole Mod Ant saga: does anyone have a link to whichever thread is concerned with this? Just want to keep up to date; not intentionally being thick/patronising/wind-up, just a little muzzy-headed after a long winter! icon_wink.gif

It's a tradition, or an old charter or something...

so I take it the whole sorry business is over? I hope so, I really do. I also hope this is nothing to do with the recent spate of caches going missing.

I'd add a link to that thread but I'm not sure how... will go do some homework on it.

It's a tradition, or an old charter or something...

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

The offending post being Peter Howards food stuffs one.

.........and my original reply was in reply to Huga who said he was leaving!

Let's just make sure that nobody misunderstands.

The problem was caused by all those who, even after the guidelines about not putting food and alcohol etc into caches were quoted, said they would continue to do so.

They were not to know the impact their statements would have, and neither did we.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif