Question about submitting a new cache.

Daisy&me

Hi Daisy & Me,

It looks like something has gone wrong.

When you submit a cache you should receive a system genereated email which gives you a reference number (the GCXXXX or Waypoint number) explaining that the cache is awaiting approval.

I have looked in the approval queue and there is nothing there that I can see from you.

For reference, we (June & I) usually approve caches in the early morning (daily), normally between 5:00 and 7:00 am. This means that as a rule it should take less than 24 hours to get a cache approved.

In the event of a problem where we cannot approve a cache for whatever reason, we usually send an email explainig why not and making suggestions on how to rectify the issue.

Most importantly, ensure that you have entered the country correctly, we serach the long list of caches waiting, looking for United Kingdom, Ireland and Gibraltar. If you have selected the wrong country we might not find it, but whoever is doing the approvals for that country should. I don't think that is the case in this instance because the approver would have at least brought it to our attention.

If you recieved that confirmation email from the system, please email us (via our profile page) the GCXXXX number so we can investigate what has happened.

Happs Caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

we serach the long list of caches waiting, looking for United Kingdom, Ireland and Gibraltar.

Out of interest, what qualifies as an 'Irish' cache? Is 'Ireland' the large lump of rock to the east of Great Britain, or is it the state of Eire? There seems to be little consistency in Northern Ireland, with both Irish and UK caches being listed.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Out of interest, what qualifies as an 'Irish' cache? Is 'Ireland' the large lump of rock to the east of Great Britain, or is it the state of Eire? There seems to be little consistency in Northern Ireland, with both Irish and UK caches being listed.

Not totally sure I understand you exactly, but ...

If you are asking about which caches we approve, we consider Eire as part of out "territory". We can in fact approve caches anyhere in the world but stick to just those in, Eire, N.Ireland, Channel Isles and Gibraltar (anything UK really, well, sort of) because we don't really have time for much more.

If you mean which caches are returned when you do a search for nearest caches, anything within the search radius (usually 100 miles) is listed.

HTH

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

What I'm asking is why this cache is listed under the UK, whereas this cache is listed under Ireland?

I don't care about politics - just populating databases with "UK caches" icon_smile.gif

(The pragmatic solution is to define the UK as including Eire for the purposes of the stats page, and hope nobody with a stronger belief system than I myself posess decides to object and demand we rename ourselves geocachingbritishisles.com icon_rolleyes.gif )

quote:

What I'm asking is why this cache is listed under the UK, whereasthis cache is listed under Ireland?

I don't care about politics - just populating databases with "UK caches" icon_smile.gif

(The pragmatic solution is to define the UK as including Eire for the purposes of the stats page, and hope nobody with a stronger belief system than I myself posess decides to object and demand we rename ourselves geocachingbritishisles.com icon_rolleyes.gif )

The pragmatic solution is to define the UK as those caches which were registered under the UK. Then you only have to do one search on the gc.com database and you won't offend the cachers who do hold stronger views than you.

FYI the UK includes Northern Ireland. Your first example is correctly logged (assuming it is in NI rather than the Republic). The second cache is only correctly logged if you take "Ireland" to mean the island of Ireland rather than the Republic of Ireland (again assuming it is actually in NI). Bearing in mind that the other country categories are political units (e.g. UK and USA) rather geographical units (e.g. Great Britain or North America) I think we should be consistent with Ireland and assume it means the Republic of Ireland.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:

What I'm asking is why http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=47454 is listed under the UK, whereas http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48663 is listed under Ireland?

Jeremy (above) is correct, but just to make sure that it is clear.

The country shown is that which is chosen by the cacher when they submit a cache. As far as I'm aware, there is no check made to ensure that the coordinates match the selection. It just saves having to type it in.

If you do a search for caches in Ireland, the cache "Manx" (as per Crr003 above) is listed, but not if you search for UK caches because the search relies upon the country chosen during submission.

If you do a search based on coordinates, the cache will be listed regardless of the country chosen provided it is within the radius of 100 miles.

As an aside, in geocaching we have the byline of "Cache In - Trash Out". In datebases is it a case of "Trash in - Trash Out" ? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

Thanks for the free mention of my caches Teasel!

GB = E, S and W

UK = E, S, W and NI

Eire = Ireland, south

NI = Ireland, north

Ireland < I guess could include north and/0r south.

Leaving aside politics, I logged my firt hide as UK to include it in GUK stats. (my own figures are distorted by "Irish finds"

BUT the translation, used by GC.com, from lat/long to Grid only works for OSGB and therefore returns a nonexistent grid reference.

OSNI is linked to the Irish grid and not GB. So I logged my next hide as Ireland so that a misleading grid would not automatically appear on the page.

And my last hide was registered as Ireland and approved by T&J, which is fine as it speeds things up.

So If you come over to here, wherever that is, use your GPS and you'll never notice the border as you wander around - but the Guinness will taste different.

Incidentally some of my local caches, within 30 miles, are in a place called Scotland - there's no wall on this side, but there is a very big moat!

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.