Ipaq Navman 3000

We're still trying to decide what sort of GPS to get - a cheapy to start off with, or maybe something a bit more sophisticated.

As one of us already has an IPAQ, we thought about the Navman 3000. Does anyone here use one of these for geocaching? How does it compare to a stand-alone GPS? It appears to be targeted towards in-car navigation. Seems to me that battery life may be a problem - do you tend to keep the GPS switched on all the time?

The Argonds: Grondar and Dagnor

As most on here will tell you the Etrex is the best gps to start with.

Yes to your question about leaving the GPS switched on. It can take a while to locate the cache, so the unit should be on.

A question about the Navman. Can you download waypoints to it? I was recently reading about the Navman 500 and there is no mention in the brochure about downloading waypoints. The Etrex allows you to do this and it is a must for geocaching.

I don't know if you can download waypoints. I can't find any details about it other than descriptions of how it can get you to where you want to go accompanied by colourful pictures of city maps.

It has a battery life of about two hours (although you can run it off the car battery, of course). Too short?

Ok I suppose I should come clean & out into the open.

I am an authorised reseller of the Navman 3000.

i use one regularly.

I do use it for Geocaching sometimes but I use my eTrex Vista far more often.

Basically the 2 machines have different functions.

The Navman 3000 is far better for routing from pace to place either town to town r wihin a town from street to street. The eTrex will NOT do this.

The eTrex is better for Geocaching.

The Navman is a logical upgrade to your Compaq.

So the choice really is yours.

Please beware there are 2 versions of Navman for the Compaq. One costing double the other !!!!!!! The more expensive covers the UK only. the Cheaper has the UK & Europe !!!!! I know that is a crazy thing but that is what happens when Compaq want their own version of a Navman.

Please let me know if you want more info or take a look at our web site.

I am sorry if I have offended anybody by mentioning my link with equipment sales but I have insider knowledge that I am happy to share.

Regards,

Finger

(UK Charter Member)

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

When you find it - you might want to share your secret with Monz icon_biggrin.gif I think it's 4 hours he's been looking now....

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Oh we found it OK. Just about on the point of giving up, admittedly. And all the more galling for finding it at the point we enered. And I'd actually *kicked* the dadgum thing on the way in!

But we found it. That's the thing, innit? icon_smile.gif

Beth

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

When you find it - you might want to share your secret with Monz icon_biggrin.gif I think it's 4 hours he's been looking now....

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Oh we found it OK. Just about on the point of giving up, admittedly. And all the more galling for finding it at the point we enered. And I'd actually *kicked* the dadgum thing on the way in!

But we found it. That's the thing, innit? icon_smile.gif

Beth