Recommendations?

Kouros

Depends on what you want really. I'll leave it to the Vista owners to extol its virtues but it is fairly all singing - all dancing.

I recon you can't go wrong with the Yellow etrex to start - at least then if you want to upgrade & pay more money you will know what features you want in a new GPS.

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net/Index.html

I got my Garmin GPS12 in Tottenham Court Rd about 18-24 months ago, for just under a hundred of your English pounds.

OK, maybe it's not as sexy as the Etrex, but it's solid as hell. I have dropped it on the concrete on more than one occasion, and it still works perfectly (assuming I can read the display through the scratches!).

The rectangular retro styling (!) also makes it easy to wedge between dashboard and windscreen icon_smile.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

I got my Garmin GPS12 in Tottenham Court Rd about 18-24 months ago, for just under a hundred of your English pounds.

OK, maybe it's not as sexy as the Etrex, but it's solid as hell. I have dropped it on the concrete on more than one occasion, and it still works perfectly (assuming I can read the display through the scratches!).

The rectangular retro styling (!) also makes it easy to wedge between dashboard and windscreen icon_smile.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

Shop around....

Bit late for that now mate! Ive been ripped off by them Millet cheapskate "********" icon_frown.gif

WESTSIDE RESPEK! Lets get the party started! xxxx

Lets at least try to keep it clean guys! (Monz)

[This message was edited by Monz on April 09, 2002 at 11:40 AM.]

Shop around....

Bit late for that now mate! Ive been ripped off by them Millet cheapskate "********" icon_frown.gif

WESTSIDE RESPEK! Lets get the party started! xxxx

Lets at least try to keep it clean guys! (Monz)

[This message was edited by Monz on April 09, 2002 at 11:40 AM.]

There are always a good number of low-cost, slightly older GPS's on the secondhand market from as little as £40.00. OK, they might not have the same number of channels, or be as small as some of the more up to date units but I started geocaching using an older secondhand Garmin unit which performed well under most conditions.

If you have a limited budget and just want to try something out £40-£50 is a lot less to fork out rather that £120+, and this way it can give you an idea of the features you actually need rather than the ones the brochures say you must have.

Plus, you could always sell it again on the auctions when you DO decide to go for something newer.