Manchester Area Social

NattyBooshka

We've been planning another event with the help of AshandEs (thanks guys!) for the 25th October

"Farewell To Summer" is now up and running as an end of the good weather gathering in Hyde. The location has great views over Manchester and surrounding towns and is thought to be the oldest public house in the area. Food is served all day, and they have 3 real ale engines plus the usual keg and stout. We'll be placing some new caches in the area that will be listed for approval in time to be up for the event. We plan to start the social side at 1pm, so maybe you can take in the new caches on your way there.

The more the merrier, with a special invitation to all the new cachers we've seen spring up over the last couple of weeks.

Hope to see you there.

Em & Neil.

PS... May be a long distance farewell as Summer will be a distant memory by then I'm sure!

Some people are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just grate

We'll be there icon_smile.gif (duh!) Loooking forward to meeting up with some people again. We've enjoyed the other two gatherings we've been to a great deal.

The pub is right near the Trans Pennine Trail (http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/) as are the two caches closest to it. There might even be more by the time of the event. Just thought I'd pop the link up for anyone who doesn't know about the trail. It'd probably be a good little run for cyclists.

From the cache at the top of the hill (Hyde's Seek) you can see the locaiton of the cache at the bottom (Fairly Tame) which we thought was pretty cool when we went there icon_wink.gif

What is caches precious?

quote:
Originally posted by NattyBooshka:

We've been planning another event with the help of AshandEs (thanks guys!) for the 25th October

Thwarted AGAIN!!

Missed the Southern Fox Hunt at the weekend due to travelling to Scotland.

I missed the Scottish event by a few days (I'm in Glasgow now, but am going back to England this afternoon), and I'll be in Canada (or on the way back) for the Manchester event!

Maybe I'll get lucky ONE day!!!!!

paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

Sorry Paul,

Watch this space though... we intend to keep the events coming up here in the NW! I know there were a lot of people who'd thought about this before our August event, and I know that there's something in the pipeline for next year up in the Lakes... as well as, hopefully, another event in Warrington next year... you will "get lucky" one day!

Neil.

quote:

As the event draws ever closer, so the number of caches being placed in the surrounding area is increasing. icon_cool.gif

10 within 6 miles of the pub!

Although I do think any caches that involve driving through Glossop should be rated 5/5 by default icon_wink.gif

Looking forward to doing the new ones, especially the big multis. Probably be a couple of weeks before we get the chance though.

What is caches precious?

Hehe... well.. we've placed Glossop well and truely on the caching map... now for Hyde! We guess the area of the event is good for a few micro caches... and we have about 200 empty film canisters!!!

For those who can't make the event itself, it looks like the area will certainly be worth a look in November! Also, we will be keeping the events coming... so if you know anywhere in the NW area which is a cache desert, let us know... it's time to change all that!

Watch this and other spaces.

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

The welfare of the forest and it's wildlife must come before the game.

quote:
Although I do think any caches that involve driving through Glossop should be rated 5/5 by default icon_wink.gif

Well... nothing wrong with our road... it's flat... when you do Polar Hamsters #1 you'll be about 40 feet from our front door at one stage... may even let you have a cup of tea if we're in!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider:

Looks like it will be well attended! icon_smile.gif

If NattyBooshka leave any room in the area for new caches (!!) then I'll lay a cache or two to start my GMPTE series! icon_wink.gif

Yeah... looks like 10+ teams (hopefully) so should be fun!

We've not touched Greater Manchester yet (well that's arguable, but we see Hyde as Cheshire!) So it's pretty much free over there. Looking forward to a series locally!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

Went scouting for a new Cache place today along the Transpennine Trail, and boy did we find one! icon_smile.gif Cache is all ready to place, which we'll do tomorrow, and includes some very nice goodies, if we do say so ourselves and hopefully it'll be online for next week's Gathering.

Seasider: a GMPTE series? Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive series? *wondering*

Esther

What is caches precious?

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive series?

Does he know that moving caches aren't allowed any longer? icon_wink.gif

Bill

That shouldn't be a problem as long as he sticks to peak hour trains....

[drumroll... cymbal]

Ash

What is caches precious?

quote:
Originally posted by Team AshandEs:

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive series?

Does he know that moving caches aren't allowed any longer? icon_wink.gif

Bill

That shouldn't be a problem as long as he sticks to peak hour trains....

[drumroll... cymbal]

Ash

Edit: Our new cache has been placed. Two miles from the event icon_smile.gif

What is caches precious?

What is caches precious?

quote:

As the event draws ever closer, so the number of caches being placed in the surrounding area is increasing. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team AshandEs

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider

If NattyBooshka leave any room in the area for new caches (!!) then I'll lay a cache or two to start my GMPTE series!

quote:
Originally posted by Cave Troll & Joan

We,ve just placed one near the event venue so thats another for y,all to find.

Forgive me for just wondering and I don't mean to put a damper on anything but I thought the idea of this event and ones like it was for geocachers to get together for a sociable chat, a bite to eat and pint or two. You know... get to talk to new faces and re-aquaint yourself with a few old ones. It seems to me that the emphasis is changing from being a social gathering to being an excuse to rush around the locality looking for the dozen or so new caches that have been placed in time for the event. Surely, all it need is one cache to validate the event and get it on line.

At one event I travelled to recently, a lot of the teams spent so much time looking for the new caches that they either didn't attend the social bit at all, just popped in for a couple of minutes before rushing off again ("Gotta do the last four caches") or arrived just as it was all coming to an end ("Oh... are we too late? Never mind, we got all the caches")

If you're all going to be out searching for tupperware, I'm gonna be a bit lonely sitting on my own in the pub.

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer Yes oh yes indeed.

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Team AshandEs

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider

If NattyBooshka leave any room in the area for new caches (!!) then I'll lay a cache or two to start my GMPTE series!

quote:
Originally posted by Cave Troll & Joan

We,ve just placed one near the event venue so thats another for y,all to find.

Forgive me for just wondering and I don't mean to put a damper on anything but I thought the idea of this event and ones like it was for geocachers to get together for a sociable chat, a bite to eat and pint or two. You know... get to talk to new faces and re-aquaint yourself with a few old ones. It seems to me that the emphasis is changing from being a social gathering to being an excuse to rush around the locality looking for the dozen or so new caches that have been placed in time for the event. Surely, all it need is one cache to validate the event and get it on line.

At one event I travelled to recently, a lot of the teams spent so much time looking for the new caches that they either didn't attend the social bit at all, just popped in for a couple of minutes before rushing off again ("Gotta do the last four caches") or arrived just as it was all coming to an end ("Oh... are we too late? Never mind, we got all the caches")

If you're all going to be out searching for tupperware, I'm gonna be a bit lonely sitting on my own in the pub.

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer Yes oh yes indeed.

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

Hi John,

The number of new caches showing up in the area is a coincidence, as we were in a little dessert over here, now we certainly are not. All caches that have been put up have been made available now (sure, this isn't much good to you!) so that the locals can come and get them anytime. We have a handful of caches actually placed for the event, and our intent is that people will do these on the morning of the event. There are two caches and a multi on the hill itself. Both caches are very short diversions from the multi-cache so would not take any extra time. The multi starts one side of the pub and ends on the other, so it would be a good idea to ignore the recommended parking and park at the event on the day. AshandEs have placed a cache a couple of miles away which would be easily picked up by people travelling from that direction, and there are a couple of new ones for people travelkling from the other side.

The intention is for all cachers to be at the event itself at 1pm and continue until it naturally ends. You'll not be lonely in the pub as we're sure that most people will be there at 1, and knowing the area the weather will most probably be... err... keeping it clean... not ideal!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

quote:

Point taken. Es and I were both pleased to see you had decided to come. We're not planning on doing any hunting on the day so can keep you company!

When the event was planned (over lunch in the same pub as the event is taken place in). It was specifically planned because of a previous event either similar to (or likely the same event) you described here. We wanted to have a more social get-together where everyone had a chance to talk.

That's what we're still hoping for. I'm not personally planning on doing any tuppaware hunting on the day. We'd always planned to place a single new cache relatively near the event to *celebrate* it as it were.

I think the proliferation of caches in the area in general is more coincidental. This is NattyBooshka's "home turf" as it were so my "10 within 6 miles of the pub!" was both a little jab at their proliferation of placements over the past couple of weeks as well as trying to offer some tongue-in-cheek incentive to get a few more people here.

As has already been mentioned the area was a bit of a cache desert in the past and a few people have been trying to change that a little (or a lot) and maybe lure some non-locals up here by creating a cache rich environment. However, this drive is independant of the event itself, it's just been mixed up in the thread a fair bit.

Be seeing you

Ash

What is caches precious?

quote:

Splendid... can't wait to sink some more of that wonderfull 'Te**eys Smooth'

(Ummm... that was meant to be a joke so don't all leap on me at once icon_biggrin.gif )

John

Hey mate, when I was a lad living my first 19 years in a little known Manchester suburb, post code M16, Tetleys was pretty good stuff! - Far better than the Wilson's , Robinson's or Charringtons !

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

AARRGGGHHH. I've not looked at the forums for a couple of weeks and my plans have changed by one day.

My wifes a teacher and has parents evening all this week and so my trip to the peaks has been delayed by a day.

I'm sorry guys. Looks like i'll have to sit this one out, and I soooo wanted to be there.

Best of luck to the rest of you. I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

Onwards and upwards. Never retreat, never surrender.

Hi Guys,

In Case I forget tomorrow, All the very Best for Saturday Lunchtime, and I hope the Weather holds for you.

I had a friend who lived in Grenoside, just the Yorkshire side of the Pennines and he always said that when the east wind blew there was nothing between him and the Urals, and it was chilly.

I guess there is only a bit of a hummock between Werneth low and the Urals, and the wind is in the E/NE icon_wink.gif

Cheers and Cache Well (and Warm)

Eckington

See you all tomorrow. For those wishing to see a map with the pub on, click on the User's Website link on the event page.

Sorry to hear that some can't make it... maybe next time.

Thanks for the best wishes Eckington... We're sure the weather will be suitable for drinking beer and chatting, but hopefully those caching won't get too frosty!

We had reports of snow at one of our caches on the Snake Pass yesterday... so please take care on the approach roads to the event, a couple of them are a little on the steep side!

Have fun in the morning... see you all at lunchtime!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

quote:
Originally posted by Eckington:

...... there was nothing between him and the Urals ........

Eckington

OOooooo....... nasty !!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer "Yes. Oh yes indeed".

icon_smile.gifThanks AshandEs and NattyBooshka. - We really enjoyed it. Drove back home and realised that we had forgotten to pay for the food!!!

Drove back to the pub and settled the account. It didn't look as if anyone else had left since we had. - It looked as if most were settled for a heavy session. icon_wink.gif

Thanks to all who were there - it was a great gathering, and so many people there! Can't wait for the next one icon_biggrin.gif

[edited coz I can't type]

Es ^^^^^^

Ash vvvvvvvv

Yeah, thanks for coming. Had a really good time. so many people there I didn't get to talk to everyone I would have liked to. Good to see some familiar faces, and always nice to meet some new (to me, not to the hobby) cachers!

What is caches precious?

[This message was edited by Team AshandEs on October 25, 2003 at 02:09 PM.]