Our bit for Holly and Jessica!

Ben Pid

Ok Im sure everyone here has been moved by the goings on and events in the news this past couple of weeks, it has really moved Dan and I. icon_frown.gif

As most of you know we currently have a cache called " The Pit stop charity cache" where we have been collecting money for a nameless charity.

Although we would be slightly bending the original rules a little we think it would be a nice jesture from all Geocachers in Britain if we donated the money to "The Holly and Jessica fund". As a mark of respect.

All those in favour please reply.

Pid xx

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Badger:

It names and shames Paedohiles, so it cant happen again! I know for one that I dont want to stumble upon a body in any woods whilst caching! It is the most worty charity going at the minute. Run by the Sun paper.

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

Oh, God, then I vote NO.

That sort of thing leads to lynch mobs trashing the homes of innocent people who look like, or share names with, people on the list. It also leads to the erosion of the idea that people are innocent until proven guilty, since most of the lists advocated include people accused as well as convicted.

Worst of all, many experts say that such campaigns cause people who are genuine threats to the community to "go underground" and vanish, so that the police (with whom they're supposed to register if they're on the Sex Offenders Register) can't find them. So in addition to the damage they do to innocent people, these campaigns may actually make the problem worse.

Would be better to give the money to a society that actually works to protect children, like the NSPCC.

I don't want to start a flame war here - we all share the same goal, to make sure that no more children vanish like those poor little girls. But naming and shaming is not the best way to do that.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

How time flies and things so easily forgotten. Wasn't it about 18 month, 2 years ago the sun did the same thing and some inoccent people were driven from the home, some one else was beaten up, because the "SUN" decided to put themselves above the police who, for the same reasons as rooster has given told them not to publish their list.

NSPCC is a good idea.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Sorry Dan and Pid, I am in agreement with Evil Rooster.

Last time this happened I believe lynch mobs of idiots attacked innocent people who just happened to have the same name as someone on the list.

The NSPCC sounds like a better choice to me.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

Sorry guys but I have to agree with Evilrooster and say NO to this particular suggestion.

I have no truck with paedophiles and would like nothing better to have them put into "normal" prisons where they will no doubt get the correct form of justice. But this only applies to those who have had a proper trial and have been found guilty. Once a guilty verdict has been passed they deserve to consigned to a living hell.

I cannot however support what is little more than a "vigilante" group although I can understand, as a parent myself, their feelings. We live in a civilised society that can only continue to be considered as such as long as we abide by civilised rules. Hounding of unconvicted people should form no part of this.

I would be happy to support an organisation that leads to the detection and conviction of criminals and as Evilrooster says anything that helps children directly such as the NSPCC or Childline.

I understand your strong feelings in this matter, I have some pretty strong ones myself as a school governor who has been involved in interviewing and employing of three school caretakers over the years. Fortunately they have been wonderful people who have been loved by the children and have done a great job. I can only guess what those people who employed them must be feeling now and have to sympathise with them.

I'm pleased you thought to solicit opinions on this matter before using the money in the suggested way. I say give it a week and see what the consensus of opinion here is before making the donation. My vote is for Childline with the NSPCC in second place.

Peter

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

The subject of "naming and shaming" is bound to be a contentious issue and has much more to do with politics, The Suns agenda for increasing circulation etc. but I could offer a solution.

My cousin is a teacher at Soham Community College and there is bound to be some fund set up over the next few weeks, either as a memorial to the girls or as a pro-active fund for "doing something to help". My guess is that this won't be properly set up or even properly planned for a short while as the community gets back on an even keel. Whilst I would prefer not to contact him at this moment I would be happy to find out details of any fund set up so that if our members, and particularly the contributors, feel that is how the money should be donated, they will know exactly how the money will be spent. This would then make sure that the money goes to a fund that will have the backing of both the family and the community who have been effected.

I really have no opinion either way, oparticularly as I have not visited the cache but would be happy to help if thats what everyone wants.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

As I haven't visited this particular cache and haven't donated anything I won't have a vote.

However I do feel I should point out that the 'naming and shaming' probably wouldn't have done anything in this case. The two people involved, if found guilty, both worked in schools and would have had to have been police checked. This means they were not on any register anyway.

I have to agree with all the other posts here.

Kev

By virtue of the wide range of people who geocache there is bound to be a range of strong emotions and opinions raised by suggestion of any controversial benficiary for the monies in the cache.

Therefore I believe a better choice is the official Holly and Jessica fund organised by the Cambridge building society and run by the people in Soham itself, details at http://www.cambridge-building-society.co.uk/appeal_fund.html whose stated aims are:

"... to raise money in order to serve local community needs in ways which recognise the tragedy of what has happened and the generosity of those who respond to this appeal. However the Trustees will also have a discretion to use any monies for the direct benefit of the parents of Holly and Jessica and their dependants... "

This seems a much better choice to me, and will be something that will directly benefit the people affected by the events of the past two weeks.

Regards

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

Therefore I believe a better choice is the official Holly and Jessica fund organised by the Cambridge building society and run by the people in Soham itself, details at http://www.cambridge-building-society.co.uk/appeal_fund.html ....

That's more like what I was thinking of!

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Wow! I'm glad I asked the question now. I was actually more concerned that *all* the money in the H&J fund was going to their parents. Generally, I dislike giving money to "single issue" funds like this. Whilst H&J's parents obviously need as much help and support as they can get in order to come to terms with their tragedy, the major difference between their case and anybody else who has lost a child in similar circumstances is that their story has been splashed all over the media, so are they more deserving than a family that has lost a child in a drunk driving accident? I don't know.

Anyway, the official fund sounds like a deserving case as does the NSPCC. There's about £2 of mine in the cache and there is *no way* I want to see it supporting any attempt to name and shame paedophiles. If you choose to go that route, please take £2 out for me and put it in an NSPCC charity box.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Oh dear, that message from me about naming and shaming was most definatly not written by me! whoever it was, was logged in as me as i am totally against the naming and shaming thing aswell! can a moderator please delete that post as its bang out of order.

I was all for money going to a usefull charity to do with the subject icon_smile.gif

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

Ok we are laeving it a week and going to the cache next week to empty it and donating all the funds to the offical fund, if this appears difficult however we will put it all in the NSPCC money box, we'll keep you posted here though.

In the mean time people....you have a week to get to the cache and fill it up with money to the rafters to promote this.

Naming and Shaming is wrong though, I'll sec on C and M's description of self note! lol. Seemed like a good idea when first read....Offical fund it is.

All the best, God Bless

Pid xx

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)