Profiles

Guest Kimrobin

Guest Kimrobin

Don't know if anyone has noticed but if you click on a cachers name on a cache page or cache log you get to their profile page.

I did ours a few days ago

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=19781

but up to now I don't think any other UK cachers have done theirs. Kim doesn't care much for the pics on ours but I think they are OK.

Alex & Kim

[This message has been edited by Kimrobin (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

Filled in the details. The photo upload seemed to be broken :-( It might be a MacIntosh thing, but it's worked for me before when uploading to cache logs.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Just a suggestion regarding the profile page: You can add your email address and the form says:

Display Email

If you wish for people to see your email address, enter it here. To keep spam filters from grabbing your email address, insert NOSPAM in your email address (eg. conNOSPAMtact@Groundspeak.com)

May I humbly suggest that you put the extra text AFTER the @. If a spammer used the above address, it would get all the way to the Groundspeak mail server before getting bounced - which uses up Groundspeak's resources. With the domain part of the address being munged, it wouldn't get out of the spammer's mail server.

Spog

Guest jeremyp

u put the extra text AFTER the @. If a spammer used the above address, it would get all the way to the Groundspeak mail server before getting bounced - which uses up Groundspeak's resources. With the domain part of the address being munged, it wouldn't get out of the spammer's mail server.

Spog

Actually, it wouldn't go to Groundspeak's server at all, it'd go direct to your ISP and then get bounced, unless you have one of those accounts which allows unlimited e-mail addresses. e.g. on my domain - jeremyp.net - anything@jeremyp.net will get forwarded to my normal e-mail address. This is another reason why your advice is good.

Probably the best thing to do is remove the @ sign so you get geocachingATjeremyp.net. If you're lucky the address harvester won't even recognise it as an e-mail address.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeremyp (edited 04 March 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Spog:

Just a suggestion regarding the profile page: You can add your email address and the form says:

Display Email

If you wish for people to see your email address, enter it here. To keep spam filters from grabbing your email address, insert NOSPAM in your email address (eg. conNOSPAMtact@Groundspeak.com)

May I humbly suggest that you put the extra text AFTER the @. If a spammer used the above address, it would get all the way to the Groundspeak mail server before getting bounced - which uses up Groundspeak's resources. With the domain part of the address being munged, it wouldn't get out of the spammer's mail server.

Spog

Actually, it wouldn't go to Groundspeak's server at all, it'd go direct to your ISP and then get bounced, unless you have one of those accounts which allows unlimited e-mail addresses. e.g. on my domain - jeremyp.net - anything@jeremyp.net will get forwarded to my normal e-mail address. This is another reason why your advice is good.

Probably the best thing to do is remove the @ sign so you get geocachingATjeremyp.net. If you're lucky the address harvester won't even recognise it as an e-mail address.

------------------

Guest el10t

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Filled in the details.

What "details"? You have only given two facts, and I was already more than aware of the second one :-)

[This message has been edited by el10t (edited 04 March 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I supose one could always post a "pseudopict" much like Swampie seems to have done (I am assuming that is not a real photo icon_smile.gif ) if we do not wish to disclose our true ugly mugs.

El10t

i think it's acceptable to have what you want in the little piccy box. A lot of US cachers seem to have symbols or icons. I'll stick with the beer mug shot for the time being.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I supose one could always post a "pseudopict" much like Swampie seems to have done (I am assuming that is not a real photo icon_smile.gif ) if we do not wish to disclose our true ugly mugs.

El10t

i think it's acceptable to have what you want in the little piccy box. A lot of US cachers seem to have symbols or icons. I'll stick with the beer mug shot for the time being.

quote:
you get your ugly mug shot show too.

Well, you did until Jeremy had to turn the new style back off because it had broken so many browsers. If you were using IE under Windows you were probably Ok. If you weren't, you got weirdness like black text on a black background, and fonts three feet high, and...

InfoPop are working on fixing it, apparently...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

Well, you did until Jeremy had to turn the new style back off because it had broken so many browsers. If you were using IE under Windows you were probably Ok. If you weren't, you got weirdness like black text on a black background, and fonts three feet high, and...

InfoPop are working on fixing it, apparently...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I assumed it was bandwidth (wrongly obviously). Anyway IE on Mac OSX worked OK too but it's nice to see people taking notice of the fact that not everybody has or wants M$ software.

We're going to need a bigger boat!