Widescreen TVs

arndale

Hello fellow Geocachers!

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me. I am currently looking into getting a new widescreen television and am driving everyone in the office mad with my constant stream of questions.

I am torn between getting a Philips 28 inch 32PW9527 for £700 and the Philips 32 inch 32PW9617 for £1100. Is the price difference justified? And how much bigger is the 32 inch tv all round as I might have trouble fitting it into the corner of my living room.

Any help or advice would be very welcome as I need to justify to my wife why we need a 32 inch widescreen tv.

Thanks!

icon_redface.gif)

Man, are you in for some flak, starting a topic about widescreen TV's! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Personally, I don't care, I think there's room on here for a bit of diversity, and if one member of a community can help another, whatever it's with, I say carry on.

So:

Nice choice with the Philips - don't change your mind - that's the brand you want. Mine is 28" 100hz. Got it cos I couldn't really afford the 32" version. When I got it home, I was glad I did get the 28" cos it was massive. Make sure you really need a 32" before you fork out.

quote:
Originally posted by arndale:

I'd like to appologize for the above post. I did not write it. I think someone may have guessed my password (serves me right for it being obvious!). I'll change it so they don't post on my behalf again.

Dean

Are we seeing the start of some new form of geo-vandalism here? I recently had a first log on a cache of mine that is off the beaten track, to say the least, and wrote to the guy who had logged it to congratulate him on finding it. He reported back to say that he hadn't found it, but some wierdo had been logging loads of finds on his behalf.

I have noticed recently that a lot of caches are getting trashed early in life.

Whether this reflects poorer hiding habits than we used to have, or more trashing due to publicity is hard to say.

Certainly I feel that the rate at which caches are being placed by relatively inexperienced cachers may be leading to the former.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

I have noticed recently that a lot of caches are getting trashed early in life.

Whether this reflects poorer hiding habits than we used to have, or more trashing due to publicity is hard to say.

Certainly I feel that the rate at which caches are being placed by relatively inexperienced cachers may be leading to the former.

--

I recently lost Night Vision which required the finder to solve several clues in advance, use a GPS to find the start point and then use a torch and compass to trek deep into woods to a box that was well hidden.

Nia had caches tampered with that were difficult finds to say the least (No tree cover series)

I believe that although some of the trashing could be due to poor hiding, the person or people who attacked Nia's and mine seem to have a GPS, a knowledge of geocaching and navigation and have stamina!

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I wonder whether even well-hidden caches are sometimes discovered by being heard. I've had a big pile of the Hornet's ammo boxes in my living room for the last couple of months, and quite often (I think when the temperature's changing) they like to make noises. If you're walking through the woods and you hear a log go PING!, you're gonna investigate.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if this accounts for more than a tiny proportion of accidental finds.

SimonG.org

Wow! - within half a dozen messages or so there seem to be three different important issues raised in a thread about Widescreen TVs!:

- people logging in to other peoples geocaching accounts and sending false messages - probably due to inapropriate use of "remember me" cookies on shared PC's.

- cache vandalism caused by accidental finders

- cache sabotage caused by people deliberatley seeking published caches.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Recently had Lucky Strike plundered and Egyptian Springs was moved only for Pharisee to find it again.

Theres certainly some dodgy business going on around here and I want to get to the bottom of it. I have had a not found at my cache up West Wycombe hill recntly too - havent had chance to check it but this many in such a short time is beginning to make me wonder. Mermans cache going missing is ridiculous!

We were all Jubious about going on the TV and I am sorry to say i starting to feel it was the wrong choice.

No disrespect to new cachers when I say this because I have every respect for new cachers who are willing to the game but I am finding of late that these forums in particular are becoming the local doss house for the criminally insane.

Yes I can all hear you saying " Your a fine one to talk Pidster" I know I have caused my fair share of trouble overthe last few months but it doesnt mean I am any less wary of what our sport may become if things like this keep happening.

We gotta act before its too late guys!

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

No disrespect to new cachers when I say this because I have every respect for new cachers who are willing to the game but I am finding of late that these forums in particular are becoming the local doss house for the criminally insane.

Pid, what is the basis of this comment? Which forum posts are you upset by?

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

...these forums in particular are becoming the local doss house for the criminally insane.

Y'know Pid, you don't have to doss here! icon_razz.gif

*ducks the barrage of abuse from the criminally insane TreeBeard*

But yeah, whilst we seem to have attracted some very nice newbies, I can't help feeling there's some bad air around...mass public advertsiing is always bad for such a small group as this.

Beforehand, we had people introduced to the game by friends, and the newbies had a lot of respect for what was going on. IME it seems people found quite a few caches before placing their own. These days some people seem to be placing them very quickly, and as such don't necessarily seem to understand the nuances of cache-placing.

Plus the fact that with one-on-one introduction, the newbies are vetted. I.e. I wouldn't introduce the school bully to 'caching, as he'd just go round trashing everything. But I can't stop him watching the TV...

Oh well, I always said I wouldn't say that I told you so.... icon_frown.gif

--

quote:
IME it seems people found quite a few caches before placing their own. These days some people seem to be placing them very quickly, and as such don't necessarily seem to understand the nuances of cache-placing.

As a newcomer perhaps someone could explain to me the "nuances" of cache placing. We haven't placed any caches yet and I think that we are good geocachers and are doing things correctly. I read all these posts and feel a little isolated. You all seem to be such a close collection of people and that can be intimidating for us genuine beginners who may make mistakes.

Team Tommy wants to place lots of caches in our area but are a bit apprehensive about getting it wrong. Can you give me some guidelines. I have read the advice on the Geocaching website about what to do but any personal advice would be very much welcomed.

Debbi

quote:
Team Tommy wants to place lots of caches in our area but are a bit apprehensive about getting it wrong. Can you give me some guidelines.

I think the main problem is that some newcomers start placing caches way too early - for example, at the weekend, I spotted a name I didn't recognise on a new cache, and checked out the cacher's stats - "found:2 hid:5". It's a case of common sense really - can somebody with so little experience of the game *really* appreciate what constitutes a "good" cache placement? Or are they just littering the country with sub-standard caches, and cheapening the geocaching experience for all who follow?

When we started caching, one of the "old hands" gave us 2 useful bits of advice about cache placement - get a dozen finds under your belt before you place your first cache... and if you live somewhere which already has a high density of caches, concentrate on quality rather than quantity. For most people who cache, the location, journey, and experience are just as important as getting their hands on the tupperware box at the end of the hunt. There's nothing worse than finding a box shoved in a boring location, or hidden in such an obvious manner that you *know* it'll go missing within a month (along with the logbook and whatever goodies you decide to leave...)

That said, you guys seem to be going about things the right way! :-)

John TGS.

quote:
Pid, what is the basis of this comment? Which forum posts are you upset by?

Anything by the Question Mark, and ones that start like this! about Widescreen TVs.

Main reason of why I dont like stuff like this happening is because you'll probably all think its us. Yes we have caued trouble in the past, said wrong things - stepped on wrong eggshells... etc etc. But I for one wouldnt disrespect you all in such a big way. I hate the thought of having the finger pointed at me for something I am not the culprit of.

Why cant they all just leave us and our sport in peace and harmony!?

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
As a newcomer perhaps someone could explain to me the "nuances" of cache placing.

Never never place a cache on land which is either obvioulsy private or even "probably private".

You should NOT have to climb a fence (barbed wire or otherwise) to gain access. Stiles & gates are ok.

Don't place a cache in a place where it is very likely to be found by accident. Many "nice places" get visited by groups of teens (who just want somewhere to "hang out") or homeless people. Clues here are bottles or rubbish lying around.

Choose a place where the cache seekers will have some privacy (unless you specifically want to make it difficult): if someone sees a person / group of people "doing something strange", then they may just want to see WHAT they were doing.... and accidentally find the cache.

Be aware that a change of season can COMPLETELY change things: I just placed a cache: when I went there last sunmmer there were huge areas of undergrowth (and a good place for a cache I thought). Having just visited again, all undergrowth has been cleared away (and I mean ALL!): if I had placed that cache last summer, it would be gone by now. I had to choose a location much more carefully.

Why does a person want to go to the place you put the cache? Its SO much nicer to have a place where the finder can say "hey, now that WAS a nice place, the time was very well spent".

quote:

We haven't placed any caches yet and I think that we are good geocachers and are doing things correctly.

I only stared caching last Easter.... I took note of the places I found caches, remembering the good and bad points of how they were hidden, before placing a cache.

quote:

I read all these posts and feel a little isolated. You all seem to be such a close collection of people and that can be intimidating for us genuine beginners who may make mistakes.

Just recently, the group of existing cachers have seen the sport "grow", and at the same time we have had some problems, that we never really had before (eg caches going missing).... so what conclusion do we come to? (a) publicity can be good, but it CAN be bad; (:rolleyes: all newbies are to be treated with suspicion until we're happy with them. I don't think this is done nastily, it's just the way people are.

How to get on "our good side"? Talk to us here... join in... put some useful info in your logs (read other logs and you'll see what I mean)

quote:

Team Tommy wants to place lots of caches in our area but are a bit apprehensive about getting it wrong.

Don't worry, I was apprehensive too.

My first cache was actually a multi-cache, and took some planning. Several months down the line, we've lost 2 of the 4 caches on the trail (having been in the winter, we can see that maybe they were a bit "too public"), so with experience gained of placing & finding more caches, will soon replace them, but in slightly better places.

quote:

Can you give me some guidelines. I have read the advice on the Geocaching website about what to do but any personal advice would be very much welcomed.

Debbi

I hope that helps you a bit, and give you confidence to place that first cache!!!!

Paul

Team Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

I guess it's time to bring this back on topic, which was the widescreen TV question.

To put Pid's mind at rest, We know it was not you. We have checked the IP number that the post originated from and the perpetratier HAS been identified, and no, we are not willing to expose the culprit but rest assured it will not happen again.

So, that's the end of that issue.

The other direction in which this thread seems to be going is advice for new sufferers of the affliction known as "geocacheitis" (I hate that term "newbie", even though it is not meant to be derogatory, somehow it just seems that it is).

I will start a new thread for that topic HERE.

Right then, as this thread is about widescreen TV's, and that thread was bugus, I think we should call it a day but if you would like to raise any of the other topics which have crept in, please do it in a new thread. Thanks.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

[Edit: url to new thread added]

[This message was edited by Tim & June on February 26, 2003 at 07:09 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

We have checked the IP number that the post originated from

Ooooh, can you do that? Any chance of posting a list of all IP addresses that "?" has posted from? Can you search for IP addresses logging cache finds on GC.com as well? We'll track him/her down yet... icon_wink.gif

quote:
I think we should call it a day but if you would like to raise any of the other topics which have crept in, please do it in a new thread.

Sorry, didn't think it worthy of a whole new thread (it'd only encourage him/her!) icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Ooooh, can you do that? Any chance of posting a list of all IP addresses that "?" has posted from? Can you search for IP addresses logging cache finds on GC.com as well? We'll track him/her down yet... icon_wink.gif

Sorry Teasel, I know your question was tongue in cheek, but we are all entitled to our privacy no matter how intriguing you think "?" is.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif