Summer Picnic near Winchester

I thought it might be fun to organise a picnic for families (non-families also welcome!). Heck, Teddy Bears very welcome too!!!!

Date: mid July (just before summer hols start!) on a SUNDAY lunchtime (I normally have a BBQ around then, for my birthday, and ALWAYS have good weather!)

Location: Farley Mount Country Park, about 6km (4 miles) from Winchester. (approx N51 3.600, W 1 24.200)... there's a couple of possible places, I'll go take a look.

There WILL be some sort of cache to do... current thoughts are to make it fun for the kids to do, so it could be a set of micro-caches each giving part of the answer to where the final big box is.

There will be other things to do too: if there's any breeze, one location is a great place to fly kites, so bring kites if you have them!

There is also LOADS of grass around, so we could also have a fun game of rounders!

And if you get bored, there are a couple of existing caches within easy walking distance.

The nearest pub is... well, ummm.... miles away!

Anyone interested?

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

Sounds good, earlier July is probably better than later for us - before the state schools break up on 23rd July would be ideal.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

quote:
Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS:

Just thought we had better let you know that Hampshire County Council are holding an organised geocaching event, also at Farley Mount Country Park, possibly around this time. Details still to be finalised.

All will be welcome.

THE BRAMBLERS

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Are dogs allowed?

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:

Just thought we had better let you know that Hampshire County Council are holding an organised geocaching event, also at Farley Mount Country Park, possibly around this time. Details still to be finalised.

All will be welcome.

THE BRAMBLERS

Didn't want to mention this until it was confirmed.

Guess it is now. Yahoo!!

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

The nearest pub is... well, ummm.... miles away!

Anyone interested?

Paul

you CANNOT BE SERIOUS...... icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Sunday 13th July is the weekend *before* my birthday, and 20th is the one *after* so it would be quite neat if it was one of those, but hey, I ain't fussy...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Some Further Information

We have had more info from HCC which might help here.

The Recreation and Heritage Department liked the concept of geocaching so much that as well as drawing up guidelines, they also want to hold a geocaching event this summer, to let people come and try it out with the help of experienced geocachers (so we will need some help from you guys). Exact format and details still to be arranged.

This is a great opportunity to promote caching to other landowners/managers whom we will try to get to come along.

As I said, the details are yet to be arranged, but around the start of the school holidays sounded good. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment and no really solid decisions have been made.

Paul, might I make a humble suggestion ? I think, with a bit of luck, we could get the BBQ shelter cheap, or maybe even free (normally £80). Would it be an idea to combine the HCC event with your pick-nick/BBQ after the HCC bit. That shelter is pretty big and would be useful no matter what the weather and there are loos there.

Just a thought which would be good for both events.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a great idea, so count us in - we will have our new addition to Team Tate by then - our own Geocaching pooch & not a borrowed one this time!

I know that I will definitely not be working the weekend of the 12/13th as its my birthday on the Sunday - I don't mind it being on that day!

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

quote:
Can you make sure it's not on July 19th though? I've promised to catsit on that day, and I don't want to miss it!

HaHa! You would miss possibly the best cachers meet of all time to "CAT SIT" that is shocking Simon....and might I add bloody amusing at that !!! icon_smile.gif

I will be there- hopefully with Dan.....inless of course I havent promised to Hamster sit on the date...icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Paul, might I make a humble suggestion ? I think, with a bit of luck, we could get the BBQ shelter cheap, or maybe even free (normally £80). Would it be an idea to combine the HCC event with your pick-nick/BBQ after the HCC bit. That shelter is pretty big and would be useful no matter what the weather and there are loos there.

What I was thinking of was an event which would be very family oriented. Pubs are all well & good, but not too exciting for the kids.

So a picnic, with a (multi)cache aimed at the kids, and the opportunity to play games / fly kites / whatever seemed a good idea. And other than setting up a cache & making our own picnic, there wouldn't actually be much to organise!

If it were on the same day as something else, I just feel that maybe the kids would get forgotten about.....

Also, the idea of it being BEFORE the holidays was to eliminate the problems of people being away on holiday!

Maybe there is actually space for TWO events: "my" family picnic before the hols, and then something on the day of the HCC event (which sounds like it would be IN the hols)... a BBQ sounds like a GREAT idea, and assuming I'm not on holiday, I would be happy to organise it / help organise it.

Maybe it would make things easier if I ran the picnic at the other place I was considering: Littleton playground / playing fields (again, plenty of parking, lots of space & safe for kids).

There's plenty of time to decide...... what do people think?

As to a date: if I run the picnic pre-hols, lets go for Sunday 13th July.

Just to clarify things a little further. The HCC event will probably be the 12th July, again mainly because of the holidays.

It will be very child and family orientated with various different caches and multicaches, plus other entertainment.

The BBQ would be just for the geocaching fraternity to enjoy after the HCC event.

Could even get a bar if anyone wanted! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

June and I would just like to add to what the Bramblers have said above.

We too are sorry for the conflicting dates and area. Unfortunately, we are a little tied by the availability of HCC's resources.

We personally feel that the two events would have tied together nicely, but we are happy to accept that you have different feelings and the decision is yours.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Wow - a real geocaching weekend - will my family be able to stand it! Never having made any of the previous events, and becoming less and less free for the Chichester bash in May I'll make sure we keep the weekend of 12th and 13th of July completely free. I'm happy to help with both events if anyone needs some help. I also have access to gazebos if that's a help.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

quote:

Just to clarify things a little further. The HCC event will probably be the 12th July, again mainly because of the holidays.

It will be very child and family orientated with various different caches and multicaches, plus other entertainment.

This sounds like it could be great fun..... for ALL the family.

quote:

The BBQ would be just for the geocaching fraternity to enjoy after the HCC event.

Could even get a bar if anyone wanted! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Now don't anyone get me wrong: if there's an event THAT close to home, I'm willing to help out! And if it IS going to be on Sat 12th, then trying to do anything else that weekend would be silly, and could distract from something that we all really MUST support!!!

An evening BBQ would be a GREAT idea (as long as we don't poison anyone!!!)...

I think I'll work on a completely different date for "my" picnic idea....that way we get more events that people can come along to!

As there's not yet a panic, I'll hold off a few weeks before choosing another date:

Paul

This sounds like an excellent idea: evening BBQ for the "experienced" cachers as well.

I'll be there with my sis for sure. I'm guessing we'll be called upon to explain Geocaching to Muggles (is that right?) before sending them off into the woods to find a cache or two planted for the event? Happy to offer my services anyway, and I'm free the 12th of July. Y'see, all you had to do was mention the likelihood of there being a bar... Pharisee, race ya to the beer tent! icon_biggrin.gif

Neutiquam erro.

I would live to come but unfortunatly I have to work on Saturdays.

Team Blitz!

The Queen Elizabeth Country Park offers BBQ areas they even supply the BBQ,s Not the charcoal or meat though, just a thaught. Also this means the Kids can come along also as there is so much one can do there. Here is the link to the QECP

Also here is an eairlier threadQECP Thread

For families with kids day times would be easier.

Is the cache 4 Muggles going to be a Chamber Pot of Secrets icon_biggrin.gif

GEOC.gif | logo.gif

quote:
For families with kids day times would be easier.

Agree 100% there

quote:
I would live to come but unfortunatly I have to work on Saturdays.

In that case, I'd better make my picnic a Sunday!!!!

quote:
The Queen Elizabeth Country Park offers BBQ areas they even supply the BBQ,s Not the charcoal or meat though, just a thought. Also this means the Kids can come along also as there is so much one can do there.

We've not been over there for several years: indeed, it's a lovely place to go to (just a bit of a journey to plan something there though!!!)

Paul

We'd really like to come to both events but did you realise that the HCC date (11/12/13 July) is the same date as the Goodwood Festival of Speed at Chichester?

The QE Park and Goodwood may be far enough apart to avoid the traffic (providing you're not travelling through Chichester) but you won't get any overnight accommodation that side of Winchester / Southampton!

The closest we've got in previous years has been Portsmouth, Frensham and Petersfield, and that's if you book ahead and pay the inflated prices.

Perhaps the next weekend would be better, as the schools finish and the parents start to wonder how they'll entertain the kids through the Summer.

Dave

I think I may be able to make a July date...

I have been unable to attend the last x events due to previous engagements.

See you in July.

Andy.

----------------------------------------

All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike-and yet it is the most precious thing we have - Albert Einstein

With regard to the HCC event, we were unable to book the BBQ shelter for the 12th because it has already been booked for that date.

We have now confirmed a booking for 19th July so this looks likely to be the one to go for.

Hope this will be ok for you all.

Sorry if that puts any catsitters out. icon_wink.gif

THE BRAMBLERS

quote:
I'm happy to say that by delicate negotiation I've rescheduled my cat-sitting duties to mid-week. I'll keep the 19th free now - you're not getting rid of me that easily

icon_biggrin.gif Oh you lucky thing! Im sure the cats will be enthrilled....hehe

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

We have Emap cables (serial and USB) plus hopefully Sportrak cables by then (yes Alex, we're finally getting a Magellan).

We also have a radiomic, the usual PA amp, speakers, and 12'x12' shelter if required.

How are we going to draw in the Geomuggles once they arrive? How about a continuously running presentation/video of someone caching (preferably in the daylight) on laptops or a screen? Any video experts out there? Or a display of caching photographs? It would be nice to demonstrate the wide appeal of caching (ie not all technodweebs suffering from ANORAKnophobia).

How about games for the kids eg

spot the pile of logs/rocks/earth/grass (delete as appropriate),

find a series of micro caches resulting in an Easter Egg (substitute appropriate seasonal reward),

best novel idea to hide a cache,

shortest explaination of how GPS works

etc

Ideas?

Dave

Latest thoughts (subject to change within 30 mins...) for the family picnic are to hold it, say, 2 or 3 weeks before the BBQ... that would make it either Sun 29th June or Sun 6th July.

That could be useful to let the big children (ok, the ADULTS then!) chat about final plans for the Geo-BBQ.

With that in mind, maybe it would make sense to have it close to the BBQ location, then people will know where to come, where things are etc.

Thoughts?

Paul

PS: Our 'Up & Down Again' multi-cache over at Stockbridge Down is 'open for business' again!

quote:

How are we going to draw in the Geomuggles once they arrive?

How about Dan and Ben doing Karaoke?

<runs away very fast>

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Any chance of deciding a date soonish as we really would like to attend, but I need to request the day off work before the rota gets done and don't want to miss out on what sounds like a fun day.

Sorry to be pushy icon_biggrin.gif but wouldn't want to miss it!

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...