People who don't log on gc.com

Does anyone have any idea how many geocachers there are who leave a log in the log book but don't log on the gc.com site? And why they don't log on the site?

The reason I ask is that I had a TB taken by people like that, and over a month has gone by without the TB resurfacing. Since then I've paid more attention to previous logs in caches I've done and in my own when I've checked them, and it seems to be commoner than I thought.

I'm not talking about people who find a cache by chance, just those who geocache in the usual way except that they don't log on the site.

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

The reason I ask is that I had a TB taken by people like that, and over a month has gone by without the TB resurfacing.Bill

That's not on icon_mad.gif

The whole point of using Groundspeak Travel Bug tags (I assume you used one) is to log them on the TB site. Moving them around without doing so is thoughtless at best and, at worst, vandalism!

Er, excuse me. I guess I'm a little oversensitive at the moment - I encountered my first trashed cache yesterday icon_frown.gif

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

I have had a couple of logs in my cache books that have not been posted on the gc.com site I have presumed they were from accidental finds rather than from cachers who do not place logs on the website. I do know of one person who has been to a couple of caches and is not signed up to the site but they are planning to do so soon

I have recently had a cache cam removed from one of my caches without any message reguarding it whatsoever. The cache is still where I placed it in good condition and the cam was in 2 days before I visited to pick it up because I was told that it had run out! Someone has it??? ne 1 like to fess up icon_wink.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

I think this is quite common as I have also seen known cachers writing a log in the book but not on the website. You also get "banned" cachers doing the same... (say no more icon_smile.gif ).

Andy.

----------------------------------------

All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike-and yet it is the most precious thing we have - Albert Einstein

Why don't people log their finds on gc.com?

In my case, and I know there are those who may not understand:

I started geocaching in March of 2002, but I didn't get a computer and go online until the end of November. Before that I went to the public library and used the internet access that they have. Since I was computer illiterate, the first time the librarian had to walk me through the whole procedure, step by step. I learned, but I was still not really comfortable trying new things on someone else's equipment. So every week or two I would go into the library and print up a bunch of caches, and I kept the printouts as a way of tracking my finds.

Then I got a computer, took some basic classes, got on the internet, signed up with geocaching.com, caught up with my logs (68 at that time), and started being a pain-in-the-posterior on the forums. I've also got my own website. See the URL under my name.

But, in the time before I got online, I did not move any travel bugs. It would have been inconsiderate of me to try to play the tb game without being able to play by the rules. So I waited until I could.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I can only imagine that people who find (as opposed to come across) caches and write in the logbook but not on the website either just can't be bothered or simply forget. Either way it is a pity for the rest of us especially if there is a Travel Bug taken and not logged. That happened to one of mine in a Cambridge cache last year and research suggested that it had been taken by a Kiwi presumably on holiday without internet access - then just a day after I had put in in the UK Travel Bug Graveyard (six months having passed) it turned up in a cache in the South of England with no indication as to how it got there!

I always try to put a note on the log book reminding finders to log on the website and my email address. The result of the latter once was a message from a non-geocacher apologising for what they had written in the log as they realized it might offend children.

Is there any more we can do?

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy&me:

I don't even think the perpetrators realised what a Travel Bug was Bill. The log entry says 'took the rabbit'. No mention of a TB.

So perhaps a polite e-mail will get the rabbit on the move again (?)

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Daisy&me wrote:

I don't even think the perpetrators realised what a Travel Bug was Bill. The log entry says 'took the rabbit'. No mention of a TB.

Yes, that's what worries me. '...took the rabbit and left nothing as we didn't have anything...' or words to that effect. Matilda Rabbit (a porcelain ornament) is probably sitting on a shelf at their house. And that curious little metal tag and the instructions label are in the bin.

Bill

quote:
Dan Wilson wrote:

I have recently had a cache cam removed from one of my caches without any message reguarding it whatsoever.

The very first cache I did should have had a webcam in it. But the cache was out in the open, with no log since the people who left the webcam. And no webcam.

Bill

quote:
RichardMoore wrote:

Since I was computer illiterate, the first time the librarian had to walk me through the whole procedure, step by step. I learned, but I was still not really comfortable trying new things on someone else's equipment. So every week or two I would go into the library and print up a bunch of caches, and I kept the printouts as a way of tracking my finds. ...etc.

Yes, I had wondered if that sort of thing might be the reason in some cases. Thanks for the explanation!

But when you did learn you certainly caught up quickly - 68 logs posted in one session!

Bill

I don't think it's common here. I've come across 2 or 3 logs which were accidental finds and they have stated that fact.

I do tend to look through all the entries and have generally heard of most of the names. Then again, there aren't so many of us to keep track of up North. icon_wink.gif

It's really annoying when you think that you're going to be first to a cache and rescue a TB, but when you open the box, the TB is gone and someone who hasn't logged has beaten you to it. The least that these people could do is to post a note saying "found it" or simelar, just to let people know. Also, if you suspect a cache to be trashed, just a simple note can save you time going out to check it.

Seifer (Mike Blitz)

I don't think there's much wrong in not logging a cache find on the website, but I agree that it's not fair for TB owners when their bugs go astray and don't get logged.

For instance, I went on my first caching trip in March 2002 and had done around ten caches on four or so trips before I first came to the GC.com site and set up my own profile. (Before then I'd always been taken caching with someone else.)

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

As people who enjoy setting caches, we don't ask much of visitors but we do ask (several times) that they log their find. Reading a log is one of the main enjoyments of placing a cache.

We do get a steady flow of paper logs which never make it here, although there aren't many. Very occasionally we've had an accidental find, most of which don't get written up, but the majority (say on average a couple per cache) are using the facilities but not reporting their activity.

There's no easy way round it apart from making caches for members only, which would obviously penalise many for the (in)action of a few - not acceptable to us.

Dave

I would never in a million years go to find a cache and then not log it....thats like buying a house and not wanting the keys...LoL.

But if people are new and dont know it insideout I can see there point- I guess its our job to teach the new people what to do....and bad clues like "Look in the wood" can't help people like that along the way- chances are they got so frustrated at a sparse clue when they found the cache they didn't log it on principle....(not that I am bitter about vague clues when its dark or anything icon_biggrin.gif )

--------------------------------------------------------

When the $@#? hits the fan the torrent will follow!...

www.buckscaching.co.uk