Cache recommendations in Peak District?

We're off to the peak district next week and plan to take in lots of caches. Does anyone have any recommendations for 'must do' caches there? I've done the pocket query and checked out Teasel's stats pages but there are so many caches to choose from!

We're staying near Buxton & we don't mind hard walking.

Cheers,

Lisa

Two caches are in the "not to be missed" category.

Fossil Transfer GC181A - nice easy 2** for terrain !!!! (You get a bonus of Harry's Place virtual down by the river and Micro Monsal up on the main road - three for the price of one!!)

You also have the added incentive that Chris & Maria couldn't find it. icon_smile.gif

And they are close by the three that Chris recommended too.

Grin-ning from 'ere to 'ere (GC8B54) is 8 miles away but is NOT to be missed.

I have to say this. Up to now, I haven't done a cache in Derbyshire that hasn't been good. It's a top class spot for geocaching.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

If thats an incentive to do a cache - there are an awfull lot of 'must do' caches out there icon_biggrin.gif

Just an "added" incentive, Chris. icon_smile.gif

Fossil Transfer was one of the very first caches that we did. On a stonking hot day in August 2001. Where they got the 2 star rating from I will never know.

It has had a fair few "no-finds" in its long and illustrious career and I have to confess to a slight feeling of smugness every time someone logs a no-find. icon_biggrin.gif

Alex.

Watch out for the terrain ratings in the peaks. They're all hard up there, so the terrain ratings are artificially low (well, that was our experience on Grinning From Ere to Ere).

If you do go for that one (and I heartily recommend it), don't look at the spoilers first. But you may need them!

Have fun - it's a lovely area.

Oh... and if you go for 'Err... where is it', don't take the route over the summit from the layby at the side of the road... it's long, steep and unnecessary once you see the OS map!

(Not that we did that and it got dark and we were tired and hungry and didn't find the cache anyway etc.etc.)

Cheers,

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Fossil Transfer was one of the very first caches that we did. On a stonking hot day in August 2001. Where they got the 2 star rating from I will never know.

Yes, I remember pushing a pram up with our 11 day old son thinking "if this is a two, what the hell is a five?!". Only time will tell the extent of any brain damage caused by his whiplash injuries... icon_biggrin.gif

If you like a good multicache, Around the Edge has just been confirmed present and correct.

I'd also add Susan Stranks Country to the list. A genuine terrain 1, I'm afraid, but it meets Slytherin's "must do" criteria (if only on a technicality! icon_razz.gif ).

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

I'd also add http://stats.guk2.com/caches/osgb_cache_details.php?g=31240&log=y to the list. A genuine terrain 1, I'm afraid, but it meets Slytherin's "must do" criteria (if only on a technicality! icon_razz.gif ).

Well if we are using slytherins criteria - there is this one: Mother Lode. it was lashing down, we got right near to the cache and I pulled out the palm-pilot to check what size cache we were looking for. It seems like some water got in the electrics as it rebooted and cleared all the data! All the cache details & all our log notes were lost.

I was so gutted I could really be bothered to look hard for the cache, so we headed for base + tea & cake.

So that makes that a must do as far as Alex is concerned icon_biggrin.gif

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:

So that makes that a must do as far as Alex is concerned icon_biggrin.gif

Hey!!! I never said do it just because Chris & Maria couldn't find it icon_smile.gif

I just thought finding one that an illustrious pair such as yourselves couldn't find might give extra bonus points on the "Softie Southerners Venture North" League Table. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Even Hornet had to resort to phoning a friend when he got stuck up a slippy hilllside in Derbyshire last week. Happens to the best of us. icon_wink.gif

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

I just thought finding one that an illustrious pair such as yourselves couldn't find might give extra bonus points on the "Softie Southerners Venture North" League Table. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Looks like we picked a good area for a challenging week's caching. icon_smile.gif

Lisa

(Kent Softie?)

Slightly 'off topic', but if you do Fossil Transfer and Harry's Place, we would firmly recommend the partaking of refreshments at the Monsal Head Hotel (next to the Car Park). Yummy food (especially for non meat eaters), and so Chris tells me, good beers (guess who ended up driving when we went there?)

Maria

quote:

we would firmly recommend the partaking of refreshments at the Monsal Head Hotel (next to the Car Park). Yummy food (especially for non meat eaters), and so Chris tells me, good beers (guess who ended up driving when we went there?)

Maria

......and the dodgydaved family would recommend the food and ale at The Anglers Rest in Millers Dale or the Red Lion in Litton, both only a couple of miles distant!!

and have a great holiday in God's Own Acre!

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

quote:
Originally posted by Dodgydaved:

......and the dodgydaved family would recommend the food and ale at The Anglers Rest in Millers Dale or the Red Lion in Litton, both only a couple of miles distant!!

dodgydaved

...and The Hornet would second the recommendation of the Red Lion at Litton. I stayed overnight in the village last week on my emergency 2 day caching visit and had dinner there. The food was excellent and the beer even better! If you want a B&B try Hall Farm House (I think) about 100 yards from the Red Lion. Very friendly, cheap, and one of the best fry-ups I've had icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Oh yes - and ANY of the dodgydaved's caches.

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

quote:

dodgydaved

...and The Hornet would second the recommendation of the Red Lion at Litton. I stayed overnight in the village last week on my emergency 2 day caching visit and had dinner there. The food was excellent and the beer even better! If you want a B&B try Hall Farm House (I think) about 100 yards from the Red Lion. Very friendly, cheap, and one of the best fry-ups I've had icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Oh yes - and ANY of the dodgydaved's caches.

Enthusiastic user of http://www.geocacheuk.com

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

I hope you did not put such "advertising" comments in your logs - they would never get approved............

quote:

I'll second the Anglers Rest! Not been to the Red Lion in Litton myself, though it sounds like I should. In that area, I tend to go to the one at Wardlow Mires (SK180757 ish - ideal if you're doing Petrus!).

Closer to Buxton, the pub in Combs is one of our favourites (SK041785 ish). If you fancy meeting up for a drink while you're here, or just need internet access, give me a shout!

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
In that area, I tend to go to the one at Wardlow Mires (SK180757 ish - ideal if you're doing Petrus!).

That would be The three stags or something like that. Its the only pub where I have been cursed at by the landlord. I stood waiting to be served while he served all around me, without once catching my eye, when another crony came in he managed to look over my head, I am over six feet tall by the way, and say The usual, mate. Just a minute I said, but got no further. You can just go forth and multiply if you dont like it, not quite in those words, said the genial host. I haven't been in since.

quote:
Originally posted by naffita:

That would be The three stags or something like that. Its the only pub where I have been cursed at by the landlord. I stood waiting to be served while he served all around me, without once catching my eye, when another crony came in he managed to look over my head, I am over six feet tall by the way, and say The usual, mate. Just a minute I said, but got no further. You can just go forth and multiply if you dont like it, not quite in those words, said the genial host. I haven't been in since.

Thanks for that... we will avoid this establishment!

On the recommendation question... we liked Crackin Cache at Chinley Churn... again great views over a valley and across towards Kinder.

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

The welfare of the forest and it's wildlife must come before the game.

[This message was edited by NattyBooshka on October 09, 2003 at 12:08 AM.]

I'd just like to say thanks for the recommendations and to those who's caches we found. Its a pity we didn't have time to do all the ones that were recommended.

We are pleased to report we found 2 caches that Chris & Maria couldn't! We also enjoyed meeting up with Ian (Teasel) for a good natter. We are very jealous of those of you who live in such a lovely part of the country.

Lisa