Preparing ammo boxes

Wronskian

I'll be setting my first cache in the next few weeks, using ammo boxes procured from The Hornet's stash!

In these troubled times, I would appreciate some advice on prepping ammo boxes to make them suitable for caching and not look too like a military threat.

Painting them all over (green metal paint?) and writing GEOCACHE - HARMLESS (tippex? white Humbrol?) seems to be a good step - any other tips?

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

quote:
Originally posted by Wronskian:

Painting them all over (green metal paint?) and writing GEOCACHE - HARMLESS (tippex? white Humbrol?) seems to be a good step - any other tips?

I've no idea what white Humbrol is, but a tippex pen has worked well for me. I was worried that it might crumble off, but it hasn't yet.

I'd also write www.geocaching.com and your email address on the outside, so anyone who stumbles across it can find out what it's about and contact you without having to open the box.

SimonG.org

I've just painted three of mine (ex-Hornet, also)

I've painted them matt black (So D&P can have fun finding them icon_biggrin.gif ) and I've stencilled CONTENTS HARMLESS in white on one side and stuck an Official Sticker on the other. There are places to write contact details on the stickers.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Until recently, I just wrote on the side in black marker:

"Official Geocache - please do not remove

Harmless contents!"

and the name of the cache and www.geocaching.com on the side.

However, that's because all my ammo boxes thus far have not had military writing on the side. with Hornet's boxes, I've started to paint them.

Acrylic-based spray paint is £2.50 a can in Wilco Dso**** Motorist Store (Milton Road in Cambridge), and caome in all sorts of colours. I've used brown to cover over all the writing, then using the black permanent marker again.

I might bash up a stencil with all the non-changing info, then print a cache-specific sheet and stick it to the side with sticky-backed plastic, sealed with glue around the edges.

You can borrow my spray paint if you want to have a go.

(Could all this have been emailed to Wronskian, or even told to him in person when I see him at the weekend? Probably icon_wink.gif )

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

Looks like a bit of prep is a good idea. Will steal Huga's spray paint and have fun. Although probably best to do it away from the car...

SimonG - Humbrol is one of the trade names of the little tiny tins of paint you see in model shops. I'd seen reasonably neat white writing (not stencilling) on caches, and the only two ways I could think it was done was either with a Tippex pen (like your ones), or with Humbrol-type paint and a thin paint brush.

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

I'm planning to paint mine (bought from Anchor Surplus in Ripley) with black Hammerite paint.

Next time I'm at Anchor, I'll see if they have any cheap paint in as well.

I've also thought of making a stencil and spraying words like "Harmless Contents" on the outside as well.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

quote:
I've painted them matt black (So D&P can have fun finding them )

EVIL! Sheer evil John how could you do this icon_frown.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

_One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!_

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

ammo.jpg

This is what you'll be looking for. I have sites all prepare for two and should have the third done tomorrow. Hopefully three caches should be on-line in about a weeks time.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

I've painted mine with brown Hammerite from Homebase and I prepared a stencil using a downloaded Stencil font for Word, printed onto an acetate and cut out by hand. Then white spray paint finishes the artwork! See http://www.pgh.d2g.com/geocaching/ammobox.jpg for the result.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.