International Geocaches

Just back from a trip to Paris, with a bit of geocaching on the side, I was wondering what other experiences people had had geocaching abroad.

I've previously been to Canada and cached, and had a great time.

France as a whole has less Geocaches than the UK. Paris, where we were based, proved to be a bit of a disappointment, almost all of the central caches are now virtual, having been removed, most seeming to only have got at most one or two visits before they go. Part of the problem may be that geocaching is less well developed, but it still seems like a pretty big run of bad luck quite how many have gone!

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

France as a whole has less Geocaches than the UK. Paris, where we were based, proved to be a bit of a disappointment, almost all of the central caches are now virtual, having been removed, most seeming to only have got at most one or two visits before they go. Part of the problem may be that geocaching is less well developed, but it still seems like a pretty big run of bad luck quite how many have gone!

Richard

The Paris caches suffered from bad placement in a lot of cases. The film canister ones seemed to have been placed in very public places and most of them would have been clearly visible. The one near Serge Gainsbro's grave was slightly better and AFAIK is still there. Did you visit Jim Morisson's grave? Sad, isn't it?

Alex.

Over the summer we are off to France, We are planning to put one out, possibly based on a Yorkshire theme , but before we do, does anybody know what the access rights are like ? Are they similar to here? more strict or free to roam like Scotland ?

quote:

The Paris caches suffered from bad placement in a lot of cases. The film canister ones seemed to have been placed in very public places and most of them would have been clearly visible. The one near Serge Gainsbro's grave was slightly better and AFAIK is still there. Did you visit Jim Morisson's grave? Sad, isn't it?

Alex.

The closest we got to Jim Morisson's grave was passing it on the bus as we were on fairly hectic church choir tour marshalling 20 kids - take a look at this page. (What is really sad is that when the tour guide mentioned Jim Morisson they didn't know that it was him, rather than Will Young that had the first hit with Light My Fire! icon_eek.gif )

Was fun anyway, even if the caches were a bit of a let down.

Richard

quote:

Alex.

The closest we got to Jim Morisson's grave was passing it on the bus as we were on fairly hectic church choir tour marshalling 20 kids - take a look at this page. (What is really sad is that when the tour guide mentioned Jim Morisson they didn't know that it was him, rather than Will Young that had the first hit with Light My Fire! icon_eek.gif )

Was fun anyway, even if the caches were a bit of a let down.

Richard

quote:

(What is really sad is that when the tour guide mentioned Jim Morisson they didn't know that it was him, rather than Will Young that had the first hit with Light My Fire! icon_eek.gif )

Richard

At the risk of starting some sort of flame war, it was the Doors that had the original hit, of which Jim Morrison was merely the lead singer. AFAIK he had no part in writing that particular song (though I may be wrong).

Far more upsetting to me, was that when I mentioned to a friend of mine that Will Young had murdered the song (IMHO of course) they disagreed with me.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:

(What is really sad is that when the tour guide mentioned Jim Morisson they didn't know that it was him, rather than Will Young that had the first hit with Light My Fire! icon_eek.gif )

Richard

At the risk of starting some sort of flame war, it was the Doors that had the original hit, of which Jim Morrison was merely the lead singer. AFAIK he had no part in writing that particular song (though I may be wrong).

Far more upsetting to me, was that when I mentioned to a friend of mine that Will Young had murdered the song (IMHO of course) they disagreed with me.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

...AFAIK he had no part in writing that particular song (though I may be wrong).

Advance apologies for the completely off-topic post.

If I recall the film correctly I think the tune and one verse were written by the bloke on guitar. Jim Morrison wrote the words for one verse (the one that begins "The time to hesitate is through..."). The film might not be entirely accurate mind you - it did seem remarkably easy for the intro keyboard twiddly bit to suddenly evolve as Jim Morrison left the band to it.

Couldn't agree more re the Will version.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I've hunted for caches in California and Rome.

California was excellent - so much choice and good locations too, but then this is to be expected as they did invent the game.

Rome was more difficult - there were only two to choose from. The catacomb cache was excellent fun - a microcache in an interesting location. Negotiating the tram/metro system on the way there and getting lost on the way back was also an experience too.

I'm off to a Greek island this summer, but unfortunately there are no geocaches there at the moment.

All in all though in my limited experience, part of the appeal of the game is that almost anywhere you go, you can look for a cache - I've also done it in odd moments in the UK on business trips!

quote:

That's like saying that John Lennon was just "one of the Beatles" icon_wink.gif

Alex.

quote:

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin formerly known as kimRobin:

Alex.

I'm not quite sure how to read this comment. Do you mean John Lennon/Jim Morrison was just a member of a pop group when in fact it was the Beatles/Doors and you can't be *just* a member of one of those bands, or do you mean that John Lennon/Jim Morrison was in some way superior to the other members of the bands in question?

I would argue that while John was probably the best song writer in the Beatles, other people both in and out of the group made equal or more important contributions to their overall success. On the other hand (I admit to being on shakey ground here), Jim was probably not the most creative member of the Doors but it is undeniable that they had no real success after his death.

I know a joke about Michael Caine, Jim Morrison and The Beatles but it is not appropriate to publish it in a public forum icon_smile.gif .

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin formerly known as kimRobin:

Alex.

I'm not quite sure how to read this comment. Do you mean John Lennon/Jim Morrison was just a member of a pop group when in fact it was the Beatles/Doors and you can't be *just* a member of one of those bands, or do you mean that John Lennon/Jim Morrison was in some way superior to the other members of the bands in question?

I would argue that while John was probably the best song writer in the Beatles, other people both in and out of the group made equal or more important contributions to their overall success. On the other hand (I admit to being on shakey ground here), Jim was probably not the most creative member of the Doors but it is undeniable that they had no real success after his death.

I know a joke about Michael Caine, Jim Morrison and The Beatles but it is not appropriate to publish it in a public forum icon_smile.gif .

-------

jeremyp

I am extremely lucky that this year i am off on 2 holidays in the space of 7 weeks. (3weeks in Scotland - Fort William and then 2 weeks in France - Alsace)

In scotland i am on an Outward Bound holiday which as part of the course says you have to complete a 4 night hike under canvas by yourself or in a pair, within a radius of 40 miles from the centre. On this trip i hope to find rock hopper and if it has become a normal cache again (not virtal as it is now) highland cache

As for france i have searched and searched but all i can say is the area i am going to (just north of Colmar) is devoied of caches. i may end up visiting France but then finding caches as follows:

Switzerland - 2

Germany - 1

Belgium - 4

This is because there are 3 caches near Basle but one is in germany! and then the belgium caches shall be found on the way home when i go for the ferry from calasis.

I may also attempt (dependant on time) "Yo...Is that france over there" - just outside of dover on the way out to france!

If anyone can place a cache around Colmar i would be very greatful!

well those are my holiday plans!

oh and if your wondering i have never cachede outside of England before! icon_smile.gif

I am extremely lucky that this year i am off on 2 holidays in the space of 7 weeks. (3weeks in Scotland - Fort William and then 2 weeks in France - Alsace)

In scotland i am on an Outward Bound holiday which as part of the course says you have to complete a 4 night hike under canvas by yourself or in a pair, within a radius of 40 miles from the centre. On this trip i hope to find rock hopper and if it has become a normal cache again (not virtal as it is now) highland cache

As for france i have searched and searched but all i can say is the area i am going to (just north of Colmar) is devoied of caches. i may end up visiting France but then finding caches as follows:

Switzerland - 2

Germany - 1

Belgium - 4

This is because there are 3 caches near Basle but one is in germany! and then the belgium caches shall be found on the way home when i go for the ferry from calasis.

I may also attempt (dependant on time) "Yo...Is that france over there" - just outside of dover on the way out to france!

If anyone can place a cache around Colmar i would be very greatful!

well those are my holiday plans!

oh and if your wondering i have never cachede outside of England before! icon_smile.gif