Trigpointing sites

jeremyp

Some of you may have been aware that I have been talking to Mark and Ian about moving the trigpoint logging system to gcuk.com. Well, they have decided to set up their own site in competition instead.

For me, not to be involved in the "official site" is extremely disappointing (feels like a kick in the teeth in fact). However, there isn't room for two sites and they have more time and resources so their site will inevitably be better than mine. I have therefore taken the decision that as soon as they have full functionality, my site will go down.

To be honest, this has soured my feelings about the whole geocaching "community" thing. I expect I'll get over it as soon as I have something controversial I want to say on the forum icon_smile.gif but for now I'm taking a sabatical.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

For me, not to be involved in the "official site" is extremely disappointing (feels like a kick in the teeth in fact). However, there isn't room for two sites and they have more time and resources so their site will inevitably be better than mine. I have therefore taken the decision that as soon as they have full functionality, my site will go down.

I'm sorry to hear that Jeremy,

The intention of starting a discussion forum on G:UK was not to start a rival system, in the same way as the Amateur Radio forum does not imply starting a competitor to the RSGB.

I'm sorry to hear that bad feeling has been caused by the decission of a couple of people involved with G:UK to set up another Trigpointing site. And, as I have said in the G:UK forum, personally I would not want to have to re-input my logs to another site anyway.

--... ...--

Morseman

Me neither. I would much rather continue using the site I started off with. When you start off logging things on a site such as this you do it (rightly or wrongly) in the implicit understanding that the site is going to be permanent. What is the point, for example of doing all our logging that we do on GC.COM if we thought for a moment that it might not be here in three month's time. But of course, it might not. Just like Jeremy's isn't going to be.

It seems a shame to have to re-input all the work I have done so far somewhere else.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....