The Great Yorkshire Cache Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

But, I plan to add "Son of Mushroom" so you all can take the p*ss out of me in the log book.

Gee Dylan, you're a fungi - when they made you they broke the mould - or at least they should have icon_wink.gif

There might not be too mushroom in a standard logbook - I'll probably stop at home and listen to my hyphae instead, although I might pop over to log it when you yeast expect me to, perhaps when I get a spore hour or two icon_biggrin.gif

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

If there is anybody who has yet to log them, and wants to, better get on and do it as Chris and myself would like to archive the GYCH caches shortly.

Due to my total ineptitude this weekend I have yet to visit the bridestones and sort out the missing mushroom cache, but hope to shortly in order to add 'Mushroom v1.01'.

If anybody wishes to upgrade Blacky Topping by adding a logbook I'm sure Chris would be very happy, as it's a real pain to find time to get up there and take it down. I think that both myself and Chris are a little bit cached out for the moment.

Don't mention the mushrooms

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Due to my total ineptitude this weekend I have yet to visit the bridestones and sort out the missing mushroom cache, but hope to shortly in order to add 'Mushroom v1.01'.

I found the Mushroom cache last Thursday (and helped myself to a few packets of sweets!!)

It helps when you know where to look!!

Watch out when you go back,because we saw an Adder basking near by! icon_smile.gif

(Every one needs a bigger letterbox!)

quote:
Originally posted by page28:

I Don't think my little Blue Skoda would get up there, ECM's Frontera could get close though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure you could get it most of the way there - might not get back but hey, isn't that half the fun icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Actually most of the caches in the forest were acessible by car if you had a complete disregard to your cars suspension and a creative attitude to what was and wasn't open to traffic. I know I did when planting some of the caches. 'Tower' was quite interesting to drive to, in fact it was probably more of a challenging drive than it was a walk.

But they have been archived now, as most have been removed from the area due to landowner permission issues, although some have moved into being 'real' caches. To be honest I'm not sure if caches placed for an event deserve to be credited towards a playerstotal, but I relented to pressure from the attendees and added them on the understanding we would archive them shortly afterwards.

For a future event I'm not sure what the best solution would be. My own feeling is that any cache used on the event that had enough merit to become a permanent cache should be added, and teams allowed to log it during the event and afterwards. That way teams who attend can gain some numbers, but those who couldn't make it to the event are not excluded from finding the caches at a latter date. Also regarding the thorny matter of what does somebody have to do to claim an event cache can be best dealt with by stating up front what the criteria are to claim the cache, just like with a virtual cache. I hate making rules, but one of the lessons I did learn from the cache hunt was it is better to have them in place first as it prevents difficult situations, for example one of the GYCH teams did very well in caches found and points scored, but came in significantly latter than the allowed finish time. I had to make an on the spot choice as to where they stood in the rankings for the event, but it would have been better to have decided upfront on some penalty system where a set amount of points were deducted for each 15 minutes past the end time a team arrived. That would have been fairer to everyone concerned. In retrospect I think the staggered start and set allowance of time worked well as it makes the players have to plan carefully what caches they attempt rather than just go out and keep looking until they get bored and come back to the pub.

Hey guys, I've been meaning to post in order to say thanks to everyone for such a great time and a warm welcome. Dylan, Chuffer(?) you guys did a really good job on this, don't take the mushroom incident to hard. Tim, Erla thanks for the company, the ride, and the beer, as I see in I owe Tim a solid night of drinking icon_biggrin.gif And a big thanks to Mosstrooper for partnering with a unknown American lad. I enjoyed it more than you can probably believe. I even enjoyed the weather, well for awhile icon_razz.gif I hope everyone reads this, take care guys.....

icon_smile.gif -Krashlandon- icon_smile.gif