Winchester Event cache

jeremyp

Do people want something to do at the Winchester cache meet? I was thinking of an on-foot treasure hunt around Winchester based on GPS coordinates.

If the answer is "yes" I'll be out on Sunday putting it together. If the answer is "no" expect Winchester to be saturated with virtual caches very soon icon_smile.gif

If anybody happens to be in Winchester on Sunday and sees an idiot wandering about with a GPS, please feel free to volunteer your help icon_smile.gif or just say hello.

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Four responses, all for an activity. Thusly I spent three very enjoyable hours today slogging around Winchester putting the quiz together. (Hopefully it'll take less long for others to do it). I really envy the cachers who live there now.

Anyway, if you have a data cable for your GPS I'd recommend bringing it along because I'll bring a laptop with EasyGPS and the coordinates for the waypoints on it, so people don't have to type them in.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Coordinates of this event have been updated in the cache page to reflect the "on-the-ground" readings recently obtained.

El10t

Okay,

Don't want to split ends here (or should that be 'Split hairs')

I could not understand how we, and Mapsource had managed to get the coordinates so far out and went back to take a look (especially when Mapsource put the pub on the corner opposite with the new coordinates).

The new readings take us to outside 'Toni and Guy's' unisex hair salon anout 130 feet away (on the other side of the road) and the coordinates we confirmed take us to about 20 foot from the door. Hence my comment that a blind man with a good nose for ale will find it.

I guess the new meeting place could be 'a cut above the rest', or perhaps the drinks there are a 'snip' I do hope so because by that time we will be 'dyeing' for a drink though June says she will 'trim' down her drinking but above all meeting the others will be the 'highlight' of the day. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Of course, June had to put her thoughts to verse :

Instead of having a drink

you'll end up with your head in a sink

It's a salon not a saloon

where we're meeting at noon

The coordnates are wrong wink wink wink

Oh no! I hear you all cry

all I wanted was a pint and a pie

but we can still have a natter

the place doesn't matter

and we'll end up with a cut and blow dry.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Hmm, well I was on the other side of the road, but directly opposite the Gaol House and the road is not 130 ft wide.

The coordinates I had were actually in the next street (St Peters). I have to go back anyway to check the quiz, so I'll get another set of coords then too.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Coordinates of this event have been updated in the cache page to reflect the "on-the-ground" readings recently obtained.

El10t

Okay,

Don't want to split ends here (or should that be 'Split hairs')

I could not understand how we, and Mapsource had managed to get the coordinates so far out and went back to take a look (especially when Mapsource put the pub on the corner opposite with the new coordinates).

The new readings take us to outside 'Toni and Guy's' unisex hair salon anout 130 feet away (on the other side of the road) and the coordinates we confirmed take us to about 20 foot from the door. Hence my comment that a blind man with a good nose for ale will find it.

I guess the new meeting place could be '_a cut above the rest_', or perhaps the drinks there are a '_snip_' I do hope so because by that time we will be '_dyeing_' for a drink though June says she will '_trim_' down her drinking but above all meeting the others will be the '_highlight_' of the day. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Of course, June had to put her thoughts to verse :

Instead of having a drink

you'll end up with your head in a sink

It's a salon not a saloon

where we're meeting at noon

The coordnates are wrong wink wink wink

Oh no! I hear you all cry

all I wanted was a pint and a pie

but we can still have a natter

the place doesn't matter

and we'll end up with a cut and blow dry.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Hmm, well I was on the other side of the road, but directly opposite the Gaol House and the road is not 130 ft wide.

The coordinates I had were actually in the next street (St Peters). I have to go back anyway to check the quiz, so I'll get another set of coords then too.

jeremyp

Ok, I will accept that Mapsource, Pubworld and both my and Junes GPS recievers are all wrong. And yours is correct.

The Gaolhouse is to the west of St.Peters Street. Therefore your readings should have been to the West of the reading which we confirmed. But in fact your readings were further East ! Easy to confirm using the coordinates.

Our post was sprinkled liberally with smileys.

Must you always be quite so controversial ?

Have a nice day

Tim & June (Winchester)

[This message was edited by Tim & June on March 18, 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

In view of the fact that Tim and June are more likely to be correct than jeremyp given the number of readings they have taken I shall change the coords back to what they were - I hadn't realised they were actual measured coords because of all the discussion on pubmaster etc. Apologies to all.

jeremyp - it must have been a bad reception day when you took your measurement. It will be worth rechecking the coords you have noted for the tresure hunt when you go back and test it. I will give a hand if you like.

El10t

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Our post was sprinkled liberally with smileys.

Tim & June (Winchester)

[This message was edited by Tim & June on March 18, 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

I'm sorry, my post wasn't intended to be critical of you in any way. I did say I'd go back and check. In fact you've got me a ittle worried about the quiz. If I had the wrong datum, it's going to be quite hard icon_smile.gif

There is another possibility in that we took some more coordinates off Autoroute. In fact I can't remember the source of the coordinates I put into my GPS or pehaps I mistyped them (or was holding my GPS upside down icon_smile.gif )

-------

jeremyp

Well I don't know how it happened but I checked the position I had marked for the Gaol House in Autoroute and it was in St Peters Street. I must have typed the coordinates wrong. The position I posted on this thread was much better but still inside a building on the opposite side of the road to where the Gaol House actually is.

The good news is that I checked the position of some of the locations in the quiz and they seem to be about right icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Jane8276:

Could you post your treasure hunt here or somewhere. So that people who are unable to come on the day of the meet could "follow your footsteps" when they get to visit Winchester on holiday!

We have family in Winchester.

Thanks

Pereginus

Yes, it did cross my mind to post it as a virtual cache. Obviously, I'm not going to do it until after the meet icon_smile.gif And by then it will have been fully road tested by several caching teams.

-------

jeremyp