ETREX CAMO......

I am going to buy a GPS this coming Friday, because my Sidekick Dan's one broke icon_frown.gif well I did want one anyway but now I have an excuse to buy one.

I was thinking of the standard ETrex yellow one but then I saw the ETrex Camo-the one above,,,just wondering if anyone out there with one could shed some light to me on what extra this actually does to the yellow one? icon_confused.gif

I see it does give Hunting times and Fishing times but what use is this to a GeoCacher?

Please tell.................

Ben xxxx

WESTSIDE RESPEK! Lets get the party started! xxxx

Can't really see any point in the camo. Having recently gone from a Summit to a basic etrex I would say the extra for the summit is worth it for the mag compass as it makes finding a lot easier (it maintains the pointer even when you arn't walking).

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net/Index.html

Good Stuff.....Havent got the extra 70 smacker though Im afraid....150 was about my limit....189.99 for the Blue one would have ben good too....loox like its gonna be the yellow....nowhere sells Maggellan in Aylesbury icon_frown.gif

WESTSIDE RESPEK! Lets get the party started! xxxx

I saw this on holiday in the States and it is for the hunting fraternity, particularly deer hunting, and it is a matter taken very seriously, the camo is not just for fun, deer have a very good visual acuity and a flash of a bright yellow etrex could ruin a hunt as the animal is spooked.

I wanna know how you use a GPS for deerhunting. Are there some extra signals being broadcast from the satellites that we non-deerhunters don't know about? I've been looking through the menus on my GPS and I can't find the "Venison" option in any of them...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

I was thinking of the standard ETrex yellow one but then I saw the ETrex Camo-the one above,,,just wondering if anyone out there with one could shed some light to me on what extra this actually does to the yellow one? icon_confused.gif

I had heard the camo had the 'moon table', but didnt know if that was true. So I went to the garmin site, the comparison chart wasn't very helpful, but the camo page says

quote:
all of the features of the original eTrex, plus a hunting and fishing calculator that provides optimal times of day to plan your sporting excursions.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Would just like reiterate how old this thread is. I started it in April and have now had my Yellow etrex for over 9Months.....

But yes apart from being a Huntsman dont see the point in getting the Camo.

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

As a self confessed tupperware hunter, I feel feel I'm qualified to add a bit to this thread.

Camo versus Yellow... I can catagorically say that no tupperware I've been hunting has ever been 'spooked' by catching a glimps of a yellow Etrex. They have very poor eyesight, an equally poor sense of smell and what's more, they are totally deaf. All in all, it's an evolutionary mystery how they've managed to survive this long. Most hunters agree that it's because they have an amazing ability to remain absolutely stationary in the most ridiculous of habitats for extended periods of time.

Add to this, the fact that they have no resale value, taste terrible and make lousy pets, it's a wonder anybody bothers to hunt them at all.

Oh.. and as far as compasses are concerned... a 'proper' compass from any good Tupperware hunting equipment supplier will beat one of these expensive Gamins jobbies hands down, at a fraction of the cost and you don't have to ritually walk round in circles every time you change the batteries icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Most hunters agree that it's because they have an amazing ability to remain absolutely stationary in the most ridiculous of habitats for extended periods of time.

Add to this, the fact that they have no resale value, taste terrible and make lousy pets, it's a wonder anybody bothers to hunt them at all.

Don't forget that according to the other thread they are also extremely toxic, which must act as a good deterrent for any potential predators.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

As a self confessed tupperware hunter, I feel feel I'm qualified to add a bit to this thread.

Camo versus Yellow... I can catagorically say that no tupperware I've been hunting has ever been 'spooked' by catching a glimps of a yellow Etrex. They have very poor eyesight, an equally poor sense of smell and what's more, they are totally deaf. All in all, it's an evolutionary mystery how they've managed to survive this long.

Have you never been "nipped" when trying to replace the lid? They can give a nasty bite let me tell you!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I don't know how much you're going to pay for your GPSr, but I did find the following company to be considerably cheaper than the high street.

GPS Warehouse

I have made a number of purchases from them and found them very good.

Also, If you are getting a yellow eTrex,

eTrexSMALL.jpg

consider getting an eTrex Venture instead.

eTrexVentureSMALL.jpg

The yellow is £115 and the Venture is £155, however you'll probably need a PC cable for use with Easy GPS etc. With the yellow, it'll set you back a further £35 or so. With the venture, it's supplied. Worth a thought! Plus the Venture has the 'click stick' which is great for map panning and menu navigation. And it's WAAS enabled.

(Please forgive my little pictures, I know everyone knows perfectly well what a yellow eTrex looks like, but I just figured out how to add pictures to my posts and so I'm gonna!)

"The sooner all the animals are extinct, the sooner we'll find their money"

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

Would just like reiterate how old this thread is. I started it in April and have now had my Yellow etrex for over 9Months.....

Sorry icon_frown.gif I just seen it 'pop up', so I replied.

But hey, a late answer is better than none at all, right? icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

As seems to be the case, I shall also respond to this very old topic, and for a very good reason.

I've just taken delivery of my nice new eTrex Venture!! Only £158 (inc vat & p+p) from tracklogs.co.uk.

I'm currently reading through the manual as there isn't a lot I can do with it at the moment (its far too windy to stay outside for anything more than 2 minutes!) My car charger should arrive tomorrow and I hope that I'll be able to do more with it then. (Drive to work etc.)

I've already connected it to the PC using the supplied cable and added waypoints. I shall add some nearby caches in a minute I think, but I thought that I could read the forum whilst listening to Saints vs Sunderland on the wireless.

Ho hum.

-------------

"I'm really looking forward to finding some geo-cash. Where can I spend it?" - My wife. Bless.