black bags

i just read of a new geocache site where the owner says will the the first person to find it please remove the plastic bag around the tupperware box, as he has now heard this is something you must not do. my box is also inside a black plastic bag so do anyone know of this being wrong. i am still new to this but willing to learn . ken "the cachman"

k. j. picton

I dont like finding caches in black bags or other plastic bags, they tend to trap water around the container and it becomes somewhat stagnant. The nasty smell it leaves on your hands does not go away even after washing your hands.

Looking at the recent guidelines for placing caches on HCC lands discourages the use of plastic bags also.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

As approver I do not condone plastic bags.. Not good for the enviroment.. Even now it seems that farmers are realising that wrapping there bails in plastic isn't such a good thing.. ( nige will either shoot me down or back me up on that)

Also they do keep moisture in.. tend to end up very tatty quite quickly too..

Nope don't use em.. yachy things.. best use is carrying vino from offy icon_biggrin.gif then the bin icon_smile.gif

Moss the Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Is this thread seriouse? If I wrap my cache in a garbage bag and ask the first finder (whenever that might be) to take it off so be it.

They can fill it with trash on the way out. This should be a non issue.

Don't get down here much, do you? frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

I dont like finding caches in black bags or other plastic bags, they tend to trap water around the container and it becomes somewhat stagnant. The nasty smell it leaves on your hands does not go away even after washing your hands.

Looking at the recent guidelines for placing caches on HCC lands discourages the use of plastic bags also.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

Wholly agree - plastic bags can be harmful to wildlife also.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by Skigirl43:

Spend a few dollars for a decent waterproof container and you don't need the bag.

Typical Yank. Skigirl43, this is a UK forum. In the UK we use pounds not dollars.

Oh, yes - plastic binliners really suck. Please don't use them.

<sig line censored!!!>

I think the reason that some cache-placers wrap their caches in plastic bags is simply because they KNOW their container is not REALLY up to the job as a cache: it is probably NOT waterproof.

The solution in these cases is to spend the extra time (ok, and money) to buy a decent box to start with. Then you don't NEED the bag. It is for this very reason that many of us choose to use Ammo boxes.

I will admit to having put a (close fitting) bag over one of my caches: I did that NOT for water-proofing (besides, all contents are in zip-lock bags), but to try and make it less visually intrusive in the place it is hidden. Maybe I ought to review it.

Paul

Just a little heads up...the stuff you may see baled in plastic in farmer’s fields is NOT hay. It is haylage (or a type of silage). Although they are in the simplest terms all ‘cut grass’, they are completely different and are produced for a different market. Hay production can often be difficult and result in poor quality with our typically warm and wet British weather. A farmer’s profit margin can literally melt before their eyes if they don’t have the right conditions to dry the grass adequately – haylage can be produced in less than 24 hours.

I’m sorry Moss, but far from being phased out, haylage is becoming ever more popular, particularly for horses mainly due to its high water content which prevents and/or manages a number of respiratory diseases. I probably could go into the nutritional values but you’d all be bored to death.

Anyway, with regard to the plastic bag debate (which I think has already been done to death before) I don’t really care. I’ve used black bin liners, though they are more for camouflage than as a protective layer and I don’t have any problem with it. That said, I do tend to split the handles on any carrier bags I find but I wouldn’t remove them.

OK Wassa

Lets see.. 14 posts.. nothing found or hidden..

You have less right here than anyone .. basically due to yer stupid ignorant and totally illconcieved remarks.. now either you be a good little hubert or every post from now on you make I will check and censor..

Don't worry.. we don't like flamers here.. And belive me I will do it.

Moss the Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

I don't think anyone's actually answered the original question yet.

No, there's no rule against wrapping your cache in a binbag. But it's generally not a good idea, for the reasons already given.

It might be worth pointing out that the HCC guidelines, as adopted by GAGB, and thus likely to be adopted by other landowners, does include:

"Cache containers must not be placed inside a polythene bag."

I believe the background behind it was simply the potential danger to wild animals.

Paul

When i find a cache i like the leave it as i found it so even if the plastic bag around the cache is a complete wreak, i will replace the bag and hide the cache as i found it. I myself though will never place one of my own caches in a plastic bag because black binliners and plastic bags are used as rubbish bags and so an unknowing member of the public could find it and assume it was rubbish thus throwing it away.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

It might be worth pointing out that the HCC guidelines, as adopted by GAGB, and thus likely to be adopted by other landowners, does include:

"Cache containers must not be placed inside a polythene bag."

Black refuse bags aren't made of polythene AFAIK.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

Originally posted by Slytherin:

Black refuse bags aren't made of polythene AFAIK.

QUOTE]

Not too sure I get the point you are making.

Surely nobody would be stupid enough to suggest that because the bag they are using is made out of polyvinylchloride instead of polythene, then it's ok to use it.

That's like saying "I'm not allowed to dig a hole to hide my cache at that Ancient Monument, therefore I will take a JCB and excavate a ditch instead".

Perhaps the HCC should have got their lawyers to draw up rules (50 pages of A4 closely typed) which could be passed into bylaws just in case somebody was silly enough to just look for loopholes in order to evade the sensible guidelines they have offered us.

Wish I was as smart as you !

Reading back through it, there does seem to be a history of stupid comments on this forum ruining this passtime.

quote:
Originally posted by The Land Ranger:

Reading back through it, there does seem to be a history of stupid comments on this forum ruining this passtime.

Nah! Stupid comments here in the forums only make the forums a 'lively' place. The short fuses of some readers can spoil the pastime for themselves. It's a case of 'sticks & stones', I guess icon_smile.gif

P.S. For the record, I'm against plastic bags too.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

In case anyone has forgotten, the topic is "black bags" not "plastic bags"

I have nothing against black bags, as long as they are biodegradeable, and not made of plastic.

So I want to start a campaign for using black bags, nice hessian ones, to place all new caches in...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

So I want to start a campaign for using black bags, nice hessian ones, to place all new caches in...

I would definitely think twice before starting that particular campaign. Have a read of the logs for Mirkwood (GC3840). The bag just gets worse and worse. Slightly off-putting.

I've mailed the owner (with no reply) and we're hoping to solve the bag problem when we finally find it. Maybe camoflage netting? Is that worse? Maybe change to box to a camoflaged one... but definitely no stinky mouldy bag.