Event cache Down South - any takers, any ideas?

Guest LazyLeopard

I know this nice little pub near to a Geocache in Finchampstead... icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, how about meeting up in Reading? From the point of view of location it is pretty good for most of the Geocachers in the central south, plus has good rail links for those who don't drive, including an attempt at a rail service (from those lovely people at Virgin Trains) to the north for anyone who wants to come down from further afield. There are a number of drinking and eating places in the town centre.

Date wise I vote we just pick a weekend, and do similarly to the recent event cache in York where we meet up for lunch on the Saturday.

Richard

Guest jeremyp

Speaking as somebody who lives in Reading:

Are you kidding? With all this beautiful countryside about we have to slum it in Reading.

I assume the pub in Finchamstead is the one next to Queens Oak cache which was the first one I did. I still feel cheated by the fact that the promised Steak and Ale pie was not on the menu the day I did it.

Guest kennamatic

Yep, I'd be up for that. Saturday lunchtimes would be fine and anywhere on the M3/M4/M40 corridors would do fine. If I think of a good location which also has good public transport, (that's the difficult bit!), I'll post again.

Reading certainly has the good rail and road links and is fine by me. There are some nice parts if you are prepared to search for them.

Or alternatively, how about Winchester, which is a bit more historic and interesting?

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

Reading... OMG

I'm there on the 4th/5th... blooming Microsoft Workshops. What is the Holiday Inn South like anyone?

I've been in the foyer of the one in Caversham. It's nice in a Holiday Inn chain hotel completely lacking character sort of way :-)

There are two holiday inns in Reading. The Caversham one is closer to the town centre and to Microsoft. It's probably also nicer and backs on to the River Thames.

Guest jeremyp

Datewsie, March is out for me. Most weekends in April are still free and I'm fairly flexible in May.

Do we want to do anything other than just meet? Do we want activities of any sort - related to geocaching of course?

A virtual cache hunt on foot around the historic sites of Winchester springs to mind (assuming we decide on Winchester).

Guest kennamatic

I can make any Saturday in April except the 6th. Winchester's o.k. by me. Used to know of a nice pub just outside the city, The Tichborne Arms, Alresford, excellent food although that's about 5 years ago, but that would be awkward for those using public transport.

Hi all,

Yep, we will vote for Winchester. But then again, we have an ulterior motive because we live there.

Parking will be atrocious (and expensive)as will getting into any decent pubs in town.

The Titchbourne is about 8 miles outside Winchester, though it's not a bad pub. There is one about a mile walk into town (does some dadgum good food) which will accept groups and I'm sure the landlord will let us leave our cars there whilst we all go into town to do some hunting. Free parking Yippee !

June and I would be happy to set up or help set up some virtual caches but if someone else wants to do it, that's fine by us. There are quite a few places of interest. Perhaps meeting back at the pub afterwards or another close by.

Just our tuppence worth.

Tim & June

Hi All,

Just had further thoughts, Saturday in town will be heaving with shoppers.

If Winchester is decided as the venue, especially if a hunt is considered, perhaps Sunday would be better. Free parking in almost all of the Town Centre and (more to the point) plenty of pubs to choose from.

Tim & June

Guest Cacher Jane8276

Last time (but one)I was in Winchester, it was for a wedding rehearsal at the Cathedral. Lovely town. But we got a parking ticket (only 10 minutes late)Next time was for the wedding we used a hired coach!

Can you wait till July for your gathering? we might be able to make that. icon_wink.gif

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Cacher Jane8276:

Can you wait till July for your gathering? we might be able to make that. icon_wink.gif

We can have another one in July - unless having met each other, we decide we can't stand each other :-)

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest LazyLeopard

We're unlikely to find a date everyone can manage, so lets expect we'll arrange more than one event, and go for something soonish (in April?) to get started. Sounds (from the parking point of view) that Sundays might be better than Saturdays. Sunday 7th April, perhaps?

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

ce we have a rough idea of numbers of attendees, as some of the nice pubs around are a little limited on space!

We're a little limited on time on a Sunday, but we should be able to appear for some of the afternoon at least.

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard & Beth (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

Sunday 7th April, perhaps?

That weekend has suddenly been swallowed up by work for me. I could do the 14th or Saturday 13th.

Obviously I'm only one person, so if people want to go through with the 7th I won't get too upset :-)

That is an axcellent idea. If we get the entire population of the planet over there - which apparently will fit on the island - someone is sure to be standing with the cache right under their foot!

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

That is an axcellent idea. If we get the entire population of the planet over there - which apparently will fit on the island - someone is sure to be standing with the cache right under their foot!

I heard that you could get the World's population on the Isle of Wight, but that it would sink under their weight.

So bring a pair of wellies.

[This message has been edited by jeremyp (edited 28 February 2002).]

Guest LazyLeopard

Ok, a quick skim down the dates folks have mentioned they can't make (and adding my own in) leads me to suggest the last weekend in April, 27th or 28th, as being least booked-up. I'd prefer Sunday 28th, but maybe the folk in or near Winchester should pick a date, time and location and create an event cache giving details???

------------------

Hey you guys,

We hope the invitation to attend this meet is extended to ALL cachers, not just those in the South, because we 'Southerners' have always been welcomed to the 'Northerners' meets.

Tim & June

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
We hope the invitation to attend this meet is extended to ALL cachers,

That _would_ be the point of creating an Event Cache, I'd have thought. It also advertises it to cachers who don't read these forums...

------------------

Guest chris n maria

We would be interested - probably stay over the weekend & do some of the winchester caches on the other day.

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

Indeed, always thought it should be open to all, apologies if anyone has felt like they weren't welcome.

It's apparent from the logs on the first UK event cache what a great time those who made the journey had, hopefully we can return the hospitality to those of you who are able to come down here.

From previous experience it's always great to put faces to the names you see on the logs!

Anyway, how about a mystery location? Tim has already suggested doing some virtual caches, might be fun if we have to do a bit of geocaching to find the location?

Richard

Guest jeremyp

Is the 28th April definite then? I need to know and put it in my diary before work chomps up all my time.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest masher

We have a birthday bash to attend on the 27th, but assuming we're not too hungover, the current Mrs Masher and I would love to come down to sunny Winchester on the 28th, and meet our fellow anoraks.

Mark

----------------

I was technical once

Guest krokodile

Krokodile and Tokoloshe from Brighton would also love to attend if someone would be so kind as to confirm dates and meeting places.

Look forward to meeting you all

Guest chris n maria

Looks like we have a date - anyone want to suggest the venue

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

Hi All,

Didn't want to interfere too much with this because we have commitments for the 28th that we are trying to re-arrange so we might not be able to attend.

There is a pub in the city which has been suggested to us because it has plenty of space (though we have not tried it, I believe the food is reasonable) It's called "The Goal House" (pronounced "Jail House") on Jewry Street. Same road as the Public Library and Theater Royal and close to the Station. Loads of parking not far away.

We are still happy to create/help create a series of walking virtual caches in the City as per JeremyP's suggestion. I guess this would have to be just an old fashioned treasure hunt type of thing with co-ordinates.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Winchester is a good place to meet (we my wife and i met there) there was a pub called 'The Cart & Horses' that was far enough from the centre to avoid traffic, also 'Farley Mount' is a great area for goecaching. Please however have a meet before 15th April as we cant come after that date!!!

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by timp:

Hi All,

We are still happy to create/help create a series of walking virtual caches in the City as per JeremyP's suggestion. I guess this would have to be just an old fashioned treasure hunt type of thing with co-ordinates.

Tim & June (Winchester)

As it was my idea in the first place, I guess I had better volunteer to help with this. The format I was thinking of was a number of virtual caches around the city (say 10 or 15) with questions to be answered (for points) at each cache site. As it'll be on foot, the tie breaker will be who takes the shortest time.

Does anybody have any comments / improvements?

As we said earlier in this thread, we are still trying to change our other commitments for that date.

We are therefore unsure whether we will be able to attend so we should not create the "Event Cache", however, we are happy to go check the co-ordinates and report it back here.

Also happy to produce a map or whatever if it helps. I know, I know, who needs a map when you have a GPS and co-ordinates but it might help find parking etc.

Just let us know what you need.

Tim & June

quote:
Originally posted by timp:

As we said earlier in this thread, we are still trying to change our other commitments for that date.

We are therefore unsure whether we will be able to attend so we should not create the "Event Cache", however, we are happy to go check the co-ordinates and report it back here.

Also happy to produce a map or whatever if it helps. I know, I know, who needs a map when you have a GPS and co-ordinates but it might help find parking etc.

Just let us know what you need.

Tim & June

Hope you can make it Tim and June.

It would be helpful if you could digitise some sort of map. We can put it on the event page,as you say just to point out good parking places etc.

I'm looking forward to this!

El10t

Just to confirm the co-ordinates for the pub given by Rob & Lisa were as near as a blind person with a good nose for ale needs. icon_smile.gif

It is actually spelt "The Old Goal House" so I guess Pubworld has got it wrong.

As this is (I'm told) a quiet pub on a Sunday Lunchtime I have telephoned them to confirm that meals are available on Sunday and ask if there would be a problen with a group turning up.

They were very helpful and suggested that if someone calls them (01962 850095) about a week beforehand they will even arrange some tables or an area for us. I have to say, I was impressed.

There you go Jeremy, I think that's all you need to get started and post an event cache. I will create some maps for parking (Winchester is full of one way streets) etc as soon as possible.

If you need any other help, please let us know.

Happy caching,

Tim & June

I'm really looking forward to this.

If nothing else, it'll be a chance for me to learn how ChrisnMaria's spreadsheet works... from the man himself! I'm too thick to figure it out on my own.

BTW, shouldn't it be spelt "GAOL House"... or am I being pedantic?

--Masher

Mental note: "Get hair cut for the 28th"

----------------------

I was technical once