Best cache in the UK

I was recently asked what my favourite cache I have ever done is and after much deliberation it came down to 2 caches:

Mission Impossible by Msher

and

Dance of the Dead by SimonG

In the end I was unable to pick between the two. As we don't have a system for rating caches I thought it would be a good idea to create a list of "must-do" caches in the UK. So please nominate what you think is the best cache you have ever done below (with reasons ideally). If you can please limit your choice to a single cache.

N.B. is not a place for blatent adverts of your own caches.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

My favourite is Fossil Transfer by Kevin.

Fossil Transfer

The cache is located in a rock face high above the wonderful Monsal Valley in Derbyshire.

Kevin was economical with the terrain rating - it involves a very steep initial ascent from the valley up a dirt path and then continues up a steep grass path to the top which is a nice surprise for most cachers (unless I missed the correct way up)!

There are lots of hiding places in the fissures and a fair percentage of cachers fail to find the cache - Hmm actually the difficulty rating of 2 is economical as well!

A must do cache.

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

Depends on what you want from a cache...

A Waterfall Experience (Lake District) was top for scenery.

Quantum Leap 1 (Hampshire) was top for the way it was set, the different parts to it.

Cache in Hand (Dorset) - now unfortunately gone was the most ingenious location as could be said for ‘The Lord Palmerston (Isle of Wight)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Having successfully completed both the caches Chris and Maria like, I have to say that they really are both superb (nice to see M.I. back, Mark) but if I have to choose just one cache then I’m in trouble because I can’t. There are two that I just couldn’t choose between, both in Scotland.

The first is Pooter’s A Midsummer Night's Dream. I’ve chosen this one because Puck’s Glen, the setting for the cache was so stunningly beautiful. It’s an absolutely magical place and anyone who gets a chance to ‘do’ it will, I’m sure, be totally ‘gobsmacked’.

The second is Scotland's First. I’ve chosen this one because the sense of achievement I felt when I actually found it was... well... it was emotional. This cache was the first to be placed in the UK yet only 3 people had logged it before me, the last one 7 months previously. I didn’t even know if it was still there. It was hard work but even if I hadn’t have found it, the view from 2,500 feet up Ben More was well worth the effort.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

Thank you John. My favourite is also seldom visited due to its daunting distance from civilisation, as we know it. In fact Puffin's Trove I think was once mentioned in the forums as holding the record for the longest time period unvisited.

Once you’ve braved the drive up to Cape Wrath and paid the speedy ferryman £7 to shoot across the straight, if you’ve any interest in wild birds, you’ll be rewarded with one of the most extraordinary sights on the planet.

The cache is easy to find and not much of a challenge, but the location is life affirming.

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

I love threads like this...

Out of the fifty-six caches I have done so far (55 of them being in the UK) I would pick...

Ring Around the Castle

..My third cache. It was at the time I was doing caches without a GPS, we had been there at least 45 minutes matching up the hint picture and clue- we were just about to give up when I looked at the picture, looked a foot behind me and there it was! Not to mention the views of cannock chase as the sun was setting towards the end of summer were amazing.

These favourite cache nominations do depend on the day you go- some cache sites may look much better in summer or as the sun is setting.

MarcB

Took Log Book, Left Nothing

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider:

Kevin was economical with the terrain rating...

I'll second that. An excellent cache but the terrain rating!!! Oh boy, it ain't a two.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
That's easy - our favourite was Wildcat - a 5/5 with something for everyone. We hit it for our 200th so it was particularly special.

That looks really good. Think I will drag the rest of the team there when we go to my nieces wedding in September.

My favourite cache is still Florida comes to Findon, because of the amazing view, challenging hill and Cache guardian!

====================================================================================================

This message may have been posted by Hydroman or his wife. If it is pedantic it is the former!

(Hydroman's hands well and truly rapped)

The two caches (yes, sorry, two) I've most enjoyed were probably In View of a Hillfort and Cherhill White Horse.

In View of a Hillfort was the first cache I did after three weeks in hospital and two major life-saving operations. I did it as a cache and dash, and the two hundred yards or so to the cache was about as far as I could walk at the time, but it's a lovely remote and tranquil location and it was marvellous to be out in the countryside again on a beautiful late spring day.

Cherhill White Horse was the third cache I did, and I was still doing them without a GPSr so I'd decrypted the clue as a matter of course. But I spent an age searching, and found any number of things that seemed to match the clue. Then when I'd almost given up I spotted what had to really be the clue. Whilst I was searching there TJ the border collie sniffed it out, though I thought he'd just found a rabbit hole or somesuch until I got to that particular spot. It was a warm but cloudy afternoon in September, but then as I sat down and opened the container the sun came out for the first time. A perfect moment in a superb location!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

how many times have I said this now, its probably getting boring but Lead Mines by the Carney Family, loved every second of it, brilliant locaion and views probably aided by the nicest sunny day i've whitnessed in a long time & the huge reservoir which I really fancied taking a dip in. Thankyou so much to the planters. I love you - but in a non sexual way.

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider:

Kevin was economical with the terrain rating...

I agree with seasider and slytherin, i'll go with this one too.

My Dad (kevin) is a real pain in the arse when it comes to rating caches :-) a 3 is a 5 and so on..... Some of his caches i did when i was over in Australia are just silly.

Check this one out, All Day Sucker I'm sorry to say i failed but it is real hard trying to look at the gps whilst clinging on for dear life above a 200ft drop :-)

Tip of the day : Always be nice to your mother and don't eat yellow snow :-)

If all the elements are present ie. Nice day, great company, fabulous view, challenge etc then that to me is a truly memorable cache.

At the moment the one that totally fills that criteria has to be The Vectis series by RCWIOW which I did with Omally, Keith from the Motley Crew and the ledgend that is Pharisee icon_biggrin.gif

It was a lot of hard work but was a truly memorable day out on the little visited Isle of Wight.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

I was recently asked what my favourite cache I have ever done is and after much deliberation it came down to 2 caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37080

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54486

I think mine (so far) has to be my most recent - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=13920. Not because it's particularly difficult (though I did screw up the numbers in teh field), but for pure interest.

I'm glad someone asked this question, though, because there doesn't seem to be anything particularly challenging in this neck of the woods. I guess it's time to start planning some expeditions further afield.