GMRS/FRS

GMRS and FRS units will work over here, but as these systems are not approved by the Radiocommunications Agency for use in the UK you can risk a hefty fine and confiscation of equipment if you're caught using them, due to possible interference with other systems such as the emergency services.

Shame really, but it ain't worth the risk...

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

You can buy pairs of FRS type radios for licence free operation in the UK/EU, they dont work on exaxctly the same frequency as those you have seen but the perfomance is the same.

Prices seem to start at around £40 for a pair.

Cool! What units were you looking at? I wanted to get a pair but a little bit of digging turned up the above result...

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

Look out for special offers in Makro - a mate and I grabbed four PMRs for £70, which is far cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere.

They work very well within their range and are great fun. Obviously they have their serious applications, but I usually use mine for playing soldiers with the kids in the woods icon_biggrin.gif. That's my kids - not anyone else's icon_redface.gif

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Omally and I used my PMR radios to communicate whilst placing our joint cache and they made the job a whole lot easier.

The only other time we have used them while caching was to occupy the junior members of the Krazy Kats whilst we got on with the serious business of finding Quantum Leap icon_biggrin.gif

On a more serious note they are handy for letting the kids wander off a little way whilst out in the countryside.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

These radios are also available in huge quantities on EBay - that's where I got mine!

In the US I notice geocachers who have these, generally keep them tuned to channel 2 while caching (unless using them for a specific purpose to communicate with other members of their own party or whatever).

Is this something we could usefully copy? Or am I just looking for an excuse to carry an extra gadget while caching?

Paul

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

What's wrong with using the CB radios that have been around for quite a while. You've got a whole heap of channels, a choice of frequencies and greater range. Now that all the mindless morons use mobile phones, the CB channels are pretty much clear and quite useable.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

What's wrong with using the CB radios that have been around for quite a while. You've got a whole heap of channels, a choice of frequencies and greater range. Now that all the mindless morons use mobile phones, the CB channels are pretty much clear and quite useable.

John

John

I suppose that in my previous existance as a truck driver, I got totally hacked off by CB radio and used to switch it off as soon as I got off the ferry from France.

Too many idiots on there for my liking. Plus you need a licence to use one which you don't with PMR's

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I know what you mean... I got hacked off with it too but as I said, all the idiots use mobile phones now and CB radio is no longer 'cool'. Around here at least the channels are clear and very useable.

Ok, you do have to have a licence but it's only a nominal sum and the extra power and range make it worth while. I've used these little low power things and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The range was very rarely what was claimed, no more than a few hundred yards and often less than that. Still, they are cheaper and a lot easier to get hold of than CB's.

This is the Pharisee signing off. 10/4 good buddy. (hee hee)

John

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G0TLG:

In the US I notice geocachers who have these, generally keep them tuned to channel 2 while caching (unless using them for a specific purpose to communicate with other members of their own party or whatever).

Is this something we could usefully copy?

The FAQ encourages use of ch 2 over here on PMR 446 too, with ch 8 as a backup. I think the chance of a random contact is remote, but still! I'd just be scanning all channels anyway if I took one along.