Footy!

el10t

Hi all,

I thought it was time to ressurect an old(ish) game.

Things seem to have stagnated on the Travel Bug Football game. In fact the game is now more boring than snooker on the telly. Sooo, before Alex from Slytherin says "I told you so" perhaps now that we have some new geocachers we should look seriously about getting this going once more icon_smile.gif

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't heard of it, there is a travel bug that was released somewhere in the middle of the county a while back. If your birthday is on an even day of the month then you are trying to get the bug South to a specific cache. If you have an odd day for your birthday then you are kicking northwards. There are limitations on the distance you can move the bug.

Relevant threads are this one describing the concept of the game, this one for all you strange oddies, and this one for all us cool evens.

There are almost certainly more threads but the forum search is currently "under maintenance" and I had to sift through a few pages to find just these. Someone else will no doubt post more relevant links, including the one to the travel bug page, and one to where the rules are.

So come on everyone, lets make this a spectator sport again!

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Sooo, before Alex from Slytherin says "I told you so.......

TOO LATE....... I told you so!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

The concept of Travel Bug Football is fine, but the 25 cache rule was basically flawed. A lot of people would find that they had already done the 25 nearest caches and from my own point of view, if I have time to go caching, then I'm not about to waste that time by visiting a cache that I've already done. Hence, I haven't bothered participating in the game.

I would at this point propose a rule change. Instead of the nearest 25 available caches, we are allowed to place the football in any cache that we HAVEN'T ALREADY VISITED that is on our list of 30 available caches in the direction of travel of the ball.

In other words, if I went and picked it up today from Hermit's Hole, then I could place it in any the first 30 caches on MY available list to the SOUTH of Hermit's Hole. This would mean that Icould move it to... "Spinning a Yarn" by Andy Carr" which is 47.6 miles South. Under the existing rules the best I could do would be 16 miles.

That should get the bugger moving.

All in favour - say AYE.

Alex.

[This message was edited by Slytherin on February 05, 2003 at 04:41 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

As one of the few players to have kicked the thing I just got fed up with being the only player for a while. I will kick the ball this weekend a bit further south. But for the life of me I cant see the Odds winning the game as they will never get it north going on past performance.

I thought the odds had to get it South?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

The static goal idea just doesn't work. The ball will just get nudged back and forth.

What about having a random goal or goals that regenerate every day/couple of days/week?

It just needs someone impartial to generate the goals.

This is how it would work - using the G:UK cache stats, you look how many caches there are (1283 today). You then use a random number generator to generate a number between 1 and 1283. The corresponding cache then becomes a goal, say for a week, and this info gets posted in a dedicated thread.

I would recommend using more than one goal at a time, and either team could score in any goal.

The benefits are:

1. this will keep peoples interest. If I know the ball is nowhere near me, I don't check the game for weeks, and then forget about it. If I knew the goals changed every sunday, I would check every sunday and stay interested.

2. Everyone has a chance to score. I've no chance of popping up in the south of England just in time to score a goal at the moment.

What do you think?

I'm not sure this will work. It would make it very difficult to work out any sort of strategy (like the fail-proof genius strategy us evens have finely tuned at the moment), and the ball will end up blipping around following something like Brownian motion, only on a much larger scale.

I think we should keep it as is, with the modification already suggested by Alex, and see what happens before adding any further complications.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

Good point.

I am finding the game a bit dull at the moment, though.

Absolutely - I didn't want to stifle anyones new ideas with my rather negative opinion.

Your idea is intriguing, though it might work better for some new form of travel bug ("Travel Bug Pinball") than the footy game.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

What a great idea! Random goals and perhaps more then one ball would really liven the game up a bit. I'd say change both ends randomly every fortnight. Best day to change goals: Monday. What do you think.

MarcB

Come on Evens! icon_biggrin.gif

"We searched for hours in the cache area but all we could find was an ammo box in a little hollow. Suggest you archive the cache..."

One other suggestion for speeding progress up a bit is to play the game in an area densely populated with cachers and caches. I know this would exclude many people as a likely area for this would be London to Birmingham which seems to have the greatest concentration of caches.

I would agree about the idea of widening the criteria about which caches a ball can be placed into, but if the distance between goals was smaller it might result in the ball travelling straight from one goal mouth to another.

We have been in a position before where we thought we might be able to pick up the ball but didn't really understand how far we could move it. So may I suggest the following change to the rules to speed things up:

Travelbug Football Offside rule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ball may be moved as far as a player chooses in one move. Thus allowing the "long ball Game".

Shots at goal can only be made from the closest 25 caches - thus preventing the "Very long Ball Game".

Waddayafink?

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Mark - you are DEFINATELY the non-transferable member of the Evens team.

For this game, how about we relax ALL rules and just see where the ball goes.

If it turns out rubbish then we could start imposing rules again one by one, but at the moment it looks like play rules are unneccessary.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Errr, so are the rules totally relaxed now? Could I just pick up the ball and put it in the goal?

Alex's idea fails abysmally on the "easy to check" criteria. It's hard enought to figure out which the 30 caches in the right direction that I haven't visited are, let alone for somebody else.

It also means that people who have been to lots of caches can kick the ball further.

I would say, drop the "haven't visited" bit and extend to say 50 caches in the right direction.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Alex's idea fails abysmally on the "easy to check" criteria. It's hard enought to figure out which the 30 caches in the right direction that I haven't visited are, let alone for somebody else.

It also means that people who have been to lots of caches can kick the ball further.

I would say, drop the "haven't visited" bit and extend to say 50 caches in the right direction.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

The main reason I took the ball down south was to give others a chance to play the game.

Well, I gave it a little kick today after your long boot upfield Mark.

After picking up the ball I got a call from a disapointed jeremyp who had arrived to pick up the ball at the cache shortly after I had grabbed it. That's two people going for the ball within half an hour of each other - maybe the game is hotting up now icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

For the amusement of others

Having taken possession at Down to the Wood and dribbled the ball at lightning speed down dual carriageway and across the water, the ball came back off the post at the first attempt. Got home started to log the goal and discovered – ah the TB reference – that would be nice. (TB virgins what can you do with ‘em!) Felt I would not be able to face the media pressure if my poor performance resulted in a dressing room row with the manager (who he?) and a boot kicking incident, stitches above the eye etc etc. So back to The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea to note the number. By then I felt I had earned the pint in the Bankes Arms. Then while contemplating the moment of glory realised that such a momentous occasion really warranted a photo. Cap and boots on again, back out to the goal - digicam in hand for the photo finish. That’s three visits to the goal cache in one day – and folks, for those of you not familiar with the geography – it’s NOT a drive up! And to top it all how many caches have you done that require you to catch a ferry? Not three in one day that’s for sure!!

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go etc

Stephen (Sandstorm) icon_cool.gif

---

Are we nearly there yet?

What happens next? How does the ball get to the centre spot? Or are we going random single goal? I think I might retire while ahead!

And the pic I uploaded is not up to scratch - don't know why. I have a 470K file which I just resized and the result is not as desired! It was taken after dusk - no flash. Any suggestions, otherwise I'll take it down.

Stephen

---

Are we nearly there yet?

Well done sandstorm but we have to give a huge rraaaaahhhhhh for The Cat. It was his superb sprint down to the byeline that allowed the cross to go in for the goal.

1 nil 1 nil 1 nil 1nil (to the tune of amazing grace)

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!