Virtual Caches

I have recently placed a virtual Cache on the border of Bucks and Herts.

However this Cache doesn't require one to even leave the car, would anyone say this is cheating?

The landmark in question is on private property and is visible from the road legally.

Does anyone disagree with me placing this cache? icon_confused.gif

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

I'd say it is up to you if you want to set a virtual cache. I've enjoyed a few others have set where answers have to be found and where it has taken me somewhere worth visiting or told me something I would not have known. I've twice converted real caches into virtual when they were got at and pending restoration and left a note on the website to explain why and two are near others which are some way off the beaten track to justify visits, e.g. the second one at Blackpool, i.e. Memorial to a Memorial, but noones been to Blackpool yet, so perhaps it was not such a good idea. I just saw it and it appealed to me odd sense of humour.

What I do think would be wrong is setting up a virtual cache, just to get your count of caches hidden up.

A virtual cache is more appropriate in several situations but definitely less popular. Of the 15 caches we've hidden, the 2 virtual ones get less visitors.

We've only set them because a physical cache was inappropriate (16th Century Pub because I couldn't find a good/safe location for a film canister and Avebury Stone Circle because the original was stolen).

In both cases I felt the locations were interesting enough to warrant a cache so made them virtual.

I'd certainly endorse a virtual cache at a security sensitive location - Paddington is an excellent example of this (thanks Chris & Maria).

Personally I prefer physical caches but will still visit virtual caches if they're of interest, for example I'm planning to visit the virtual caches along Washington DC's Mall next month.

As to your cache, I'd say that its being virtual is fine if its an interesting location and its proximity to the car doesn't matter, it'll encourage disabled people to try caching and people who want a challenge will simply not try it.

I'm all in favour of making our sport varied and all inclusive.

quote:
noones been to Blackpool yet, so perhaps it was not such a good idea.

It's a long time to wait but I'll be there the middle weekend of October, although whether I'll be in a fit state to find my way to the hotel let alone a cache God only knows!! icon_biggrin.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

It rounded off a great days caching in the Avebury area. I think if you are going to place a virtual cache then make sure there are some normal caches in the same area. That way they will be visited to 'tick them off'

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

If a virtual cache takes one to an interesting area or one has to work to find the site, then I say that is part of the game.

I have just set 7 virtual caches which are the clues to a final lunchbox cache. ( The London rainbow cache) Advertising? Why I have done this is because the one vurtual that I have already set has had many visitors from other countrys. So I am hoping that this new set will attract the geocachers when they visit the capital.