BLACKPOOL CACHE PLEA

OK folks you can relax - it does exist and I found it this afternoon. I am e-mailing the coordinates to Dan right away and it is up to him how soon he publishes it. So, why don't I include them in this reply? Well I thought others might like to have a comprehensive tour of the by-ways near Blackpool over the weekend, as I have this afternoon! I tried four possibles before I struck gold and if I tell you know which the failures were it might spoil it for those perverse enough to want to do it the hard way. I will tell of my adventures and misadventures when Dan has set up the cache site - meanwhile if anyone does want to e-mail me direct I will disclose the co-ordinates - that fair enough?

Oh, and I am setting up a virtual cache nearby for those who think Blackpool is the end of the world and like to do more than one cache at a time.

John

jstead@bigfoot.com

Now Dan has published "Blackpool's First Cache" I will add one or two comments I left out before.

The first two I tries were those suggested by The Northumbrian and The Baron of Basingstoke near Wrea Green with appropriate research into the qualities of one of the pubs suggested (The Grapes)! Although I went to each of the coordinates and took photosof what I found (or didn't find) both of these were footpaths and not bridleways as Dan specified. But they were in pleasant countryside and the pub food was good.

So on to Dan's own suggetion at SD333310 which turned out to be almost exactly under the end of the airport's main runway and the only bridge was really a culvert. Then I headed for the nearest other bridleways - naturally I picked the wrong one first and, after thoroughly picking over the fence bottoms at a right angled fence opposite a bridge (amazing what litter you turn up including a sheet of black polythene covered with enormous snails - left that out for the birds!) I headed back to the car with little time left but on the way saw a bridge over the same dyke as the one I had just been to and on the bridleway on the opposite side of the road I had parked on. After a bit of ferreting round there it was, precisely as Dan had described it in his firt two posts. I think some of us (myself included) had expected to find a kink in the path but Dan did not actually say that, just a right angle in the fence. It is not actually at the right angle but is at the base of the fence near the angle and just away from the path. There I'm not giving any more away except to say that I think good thorn proof gloves may be needed soon!

While finding my way from St Anne's I spotted a blue "conservation" plaque and being curious stopped to look - so it has become a virtual cache "Memorial to a Memorial" icon_cool.gif

Looks like you did the right thing with this challenge Dan - Just got my "repaired" Etrex summit back from Garmin (took 4 working days to repair).

The Bad News: I lost all my Waypoints icon_frown.gif

The Good News: Because they sent me a brand new one in the box & everything icon_biggrin.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net/Index.html

Looks like you did the right thing with this challenge Dan - Just got my "repaired" Etrex summit back from Garmin (took 4 working days to repair).

The Bad News: I lost all my Waypoints icon_frown.gif

The Good News: Because they sent me a brand new one in the box & everything icon_biggrin.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net/Index.html

Just found a link on the forum to this thread.......................

Great reading although evey note is posted TWICE ???

WELL.................................. this is worse than wating for the next instalment of Coronation street

HAS THE *&@+"!? CACHE BEEN FOUND????????????????????

Yours on the edge of his seet

KEV

Edited 2 mins later.....

Oh how stupid of me ..............I only read the first page.

Well done John

a slightly embarssed Kev

Edited by Longfram Kev
I'm sort of tempted to try to find the cache just by Dan's original posts rather than the official page. I like a challenge...

Believe you me - I had a real fun day finding it and you've brought back a lot of memories.

BUT - did you know that a certain well known cacher who now has 1200+ finds actually found that cache accidentally while out walking near his home and doing a bit of CITO, except that he did not then know what Geocaching was about?

He took the container home, read the contents, went on line to find what it was all about, replaced the container - and then found his first 100 in (I think) less than three weeks and 1000 in less than a year! :laughing:

BUT - did you know that a certain well known cacher who now has 1200+ finds actually found that cache accidentally while out walking near his home and doing a bit of CITO, except that he did not then know what Geocaching was about?

He took the container home, read the contents, went on line to find what it was all about, replaced the container - and then found his first 100 in (I think) less than three weeks and 1000 in less than a year!

I wonder who that could be???

I think the UK caching community have a lot to thank Dan and Pid for. Not only did the UKs leading finder start his 'journey with a single (D&P) cache' but one of theirs snared me too!

I'd like to suggest a national Dan & Pid day, but that hardly seems appropriate. Perhaps a national Dan & Pid night?...

SP :laughing:

Edit: Who the hell is Mike? Where was Pid? The bottom's fallen out of my world and the world's...etc.

Edited by Simply Paul
I think we should all club together and buy dan a notebook and a pencil  :laughing:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

Hehehehe! I always make a note of co-ords in my Cache Book (week to a view) when setting one. I dare say UK caching history might be very different if Dan had too, on this occasion. What if John had never located it? What if Seasider hadn't been public-spirited and found the cache? What if there was any point to my meaningless speculation? Eh? makes you think, doesn't it?

SP

Edited by Simply Paul