Pocket PC and Palm Geocaching

el10t

quote:
Originally posted by Postie:

I wonder how many people use a PDA in Geocaching?

I have a Cassiopeia which I don't currently use for geocaching. I certainly will do once this improvement is implemented though.

-----------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:
Originally posted by Masher:

I use the Geocaching channel on AvantGo and it works pretty well.

I can't find a geocaching channel on AvantGo. Have you any pointers?

-----------

el10t

_mobilis in mobili_

I use a Palm for all my caches (well I would if it wasn't in the menders at the moment). You can create a custom chanel in avantgo from your Nearest caches list or you can use one of

Brians Palmable Geocaching Indexes which are much nicer. I use the UK-London index.

Look here for how to create a custom channel.

The other usefull things palm users can use are the Hint Decoder ,the Logging Tool and (regular viewers know it's coming) My Spreadsheet (sorry couldn't resist the plug nuts.gif )

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I have a Palm m505 with a web browser on it (Eudora web). With that and a mobile phone I can access the cache pages while I'm out "in the field".

Eudora has a cache (pun intended) facility so you could load up the pages at home while on line and then access them in the field without dialing up.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I can't find a geocaching channel on AvantGo. Have you any pointers?

-----------

Chris has answered for me... and typically with more info than I could have provided! icon_razz.gif

(Useful for me actually: as my PC had a coronary a couple of weeks ago, and I had lost those links. Cheers Chris!!) I use an index that Brian kindly created specifically for me, called user-masher. It's updated once a week and contains the 100 caches closest to my home co-ords, but doesn't include caches I have already found. Just how useful is that!! icon_smile.gif (It's listed toward the bottom of the index page that Chris' link points to). I believe he will do the same for anyone, who can prove they have held his Palmable Travel Bug in their greasy mitts at some point.

Oh yes... I use a Vx, for those interested.

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Masher on April 26, 2002 at 11:36 PM.]

quote:
This Clipping App might be of use to some of you

It seems like a great little application, the only problem I have is whenever it's trying to download the information I get "Run time error 76" and no finished download. Has anyone else had this problem, am I single handedly breaking the internet or am I just being particularly dense and doing the whole thing wrong. FYI-I'm using a Sony Clie PDA just in case it makes any difference.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

With Avant-go and a number of channels set up from a website called palmable indices which has cache listings in a format that makes them very presentable on a handheld.

I used this setup on holiday in Europe and found it very useful.

Saves paper as well!!!

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

With Avant-go and a number of channels set up from a website called palmable indices which has cache listings in a format that makes them very presentable on a handheld.

I also used Brian's Palmable Geocaching Indexes on my iPaq whilst caching in the US. (These can be set up as channels through Avantgo as described in Chris' post above).

Excellent. I'd love to use them more in the UK but the few existing channels only cover the South-East (never mind North-South divide, this is East-West)! I've mailed Brian requesting more channels in the UK but sadly no response - if you support the idea then please mail him as above.

Hopefully we'll get the eBook format on the Geocaching site eventually - now that really would be environmentally friendly because I've printed so much paper (still, it does use those trees I hate so much when caching . . .).

Dave & Nicky

Following Chris's link above I logged on to the wap site.

It offers three choices of finding a cache, by state (us only) by country or by zip code (US only). Selecting by country prompts for the first three letters of the country, so I entered uni, but at this point I was unable to progress.

The only action I could get the phone to do was keep editing the three letters!

I'll try on a different wap phone and see if it's any use, but for now it looks like a dead end.

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!