Best UK cache for US visitor? Get together?!

We're planning on vacationing in the UK next week and would love any recommendations for a cache or two while we're there (July 1-5). I've never been to England before so we thought geocaching may be a good way to explore a bit. icon_smile.gif

Any cache recommendations that would show us the sites or take us somewhere interesting would be great. We are also limited to tube transportation, so I guess any recommendations should be accessible with public transportation.

Also if anyone would like to meet in person for a cache, that would be fun. Let us know!

John and Carrie

The Robot Family

quote:
Originally posted by The Robot Family:

We are also limited to tube transportation, so I guess any recommendations should be accessible with public transportation.

John and Carrie,

Think you'll be in the London area, as you're using the Tube.

Here's a good postcode search to use from Central London:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=sw1a+1aa&submit1=Submit

Hope this helps...

Derek

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

I'm from the US and spent 3 weeks in the UK and did some caching while I was there. I'be been planning a return trip, but not sure it's going to happen now. Anyhow, check out

this thread. I never really got the hang of caching in the countryside there. But I (virtually) met a lot of nice cachers over there (in the UK). I always wanted to go over to Wales and check out the caches there and all the stone circles.

I suggest figuring out where you want to sightsee and then look for caches around there instead of sightseeing around your caching trip.

Have fun!

quote:

We're planning on vacationing in the UK next week and would love any recommendations for a cache or two while we're there (July 1-5).

Shame you aren't available on the Sunday (6th), as we are having a cacher's picnic just outside Winchester (heck, why don't you just catch a later plane & pop by?)

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

Yes... we'll be in London. I was a bit vague with just saying we'd be in the UK, eh?!

Thanks for the postcode starting point link.

The other thread seemed more just to talk about the private land issue about caches, but didn't really recommend any specific ones.

What are some people's favorite caches in or around downtown London? There are so many to choose from and so little time. icon_eek.gif

Thanks.

John

The Robot Family

Thanks for the plug DD,

just to let you folk know - I am currently talking to Teasel with regard to creating a fully interactive tube map that links to the GCUK search engine. When we have it working we should have a version of the tube map that is always up to date (and on GC:UK not our page).

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Are all the Sherlock virtual caches (1-6) and the final physical cache locations easily accessed off the tube?

How long would people guess it takes to complete the series and find the final cache?

And for the dumb yank... supposing that we actually found all the virtuals, how do I know where to go for the final cache? icon_confused.gif I know I'll have the coordinates, but being totally unfamiliar with the tube stops.. how do I know which one to get off to get close to the final cache locaction? Or is that part of the game? icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a great series to try while we are there. I hope it's all tube-friendly!!

John

The Robot Family

quote:

Are all the Sherlock virtual caches (1-6) and the final physical cache locations easily accessed off the tube?

How long would people guess it takes to complete the series and find the final cache?

Having recently done that series, although not by tube, I know that it could be done by using the closest stations. I would allow half a day to do them all with the travelling time added in, maybe even a bit longer. It will take you to bits that are both well known and not so well known on the tourist routes.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

Sherlock 7 missing AGAIN? Oh dear... not too much of a mystery to solve if the final solution is missing. Drat those geomugglers!

How do we know if the physical cache is in place or not? The logs say the cache was not found by the last visitor (although they logged a find) which was over a month ago, but noone has really confirmed if the cache is gone or not.

Still sounds like a worthwhile series to do even if we can't go to the final cache.

The Robot Family