Degradation of cache contents

That's not uncommon, unfortunately. All you can do with caches you find is follow the rule 'trade up or trade equal', in other words leave something that's as good as or better than what you take.

With your own caches, you can restock them occasionally. But if everyone did trade up or trade equal then it wouldn't be necessary. Ah, well, that's life...

Bill

Seems to be all too common.

Some owners may never revisit the cache to tidy up or restock and a look through the logs will show that people don't always trade equal eg "took x, y and Z left a bottle top" As this is freely admitted , these people must be unaware of the etiquette of trading.

The solution is too give more than you take, if you feel up to it.

When not actively caching, I enjoy the hunt for items to trade with. Finding something not too expensive, not worthless and hopefully interesting and/or useful is quite a challenge.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

I know what you mean, I took a lot of care selecting items to leave in a cache and to place in my own placed cache, and then you go out Caching in January and find a load of tat that has been obviously hoovered up from the Christmas dinner table as the naffest Christmas cracker contents and other cheap detritus!

Conversly, I have been touched and impressed by some handmade simple items that have had a lot of thought and effort put into them.

It's a microcosm of life, some people will float by doing a makeshift and shoddy job of it and others will put in the effort.

This topic has been extensively discussed on the U.S. sections of the board.

God bless all our service men and women in the middle east.

quote:
When not actively caching, I enjoy the hunt for items to trade with. Finding something not too expensive, not worthless and hopefully interesting and/or useful is quite a challenge.

My Wife seems to have taken shopping for cache contents to an extreme. We now have bags & bags of stuff lying around the house.

I wouldn't mind but I have to carry far more then we are going to use in a day around in the rucksack every time we go caching!

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

My Wife seems to have taken shopping for cache contents to an extreme.

When I go shopping for bits and pieces to go in the 'cache box' I'll go to places like B&Q. At the moment they have some nice stuff like torches and screwdriver sets that are cheap & useful. I think that's all I need but my wife will come back with a bagfull of 'girlie' stuff that I have to carry round and leave as well icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

We try to trade equal or more for a cache and when we find a cache that is a little poor in contents then we take one thing and leave several.

We have found that you can by good items for around the £1 - £2 mark, and it makes all the differents to thew cache contents.

Wood smokes a good example to Geocaching has Items are exelent.

I know we are fairly new to caching but I hope that our Items well always be of as good quality and set an example.

Kids Caches and Mayhem what a day in the celtic tribal city.

I revisited my own cache today to check on it and fortunately everyone does seem to be trading well. Having two small children, they really need to find something suitable and fun and it makes all the difference when they come away with a new friend or toy as my two did tonight with a T&J Bear and a Dalmation Puppy (not a real one!).

There does seem to be a great variation though and some people place their caches with very little in in the first place. Obviously to some it doesn't matter but I will do as the Targett family and if the contents are naff, leave a couple of good things.

Any yes, my shopping has now been taken over by the search for suitable swaps! I'm even considering occupying a spare drawer in my husband's chest of drawers to keep all the goodies ready - but I think he might consider it the final straw!!! icon_wink.gif

We rarely trade these days though we make an exception for T&J bears obviously icon_wink.gif

If something does catch our eye we usually try to deposit items of greater value (though what could be more valuable than a T&J bear - I rally can't imagine. We like to leave books (only read once) but there is rarely room in most caches, so we do have some other goodies that we cary with us for such occasions and when caches are looking a little empty.

Of our 4 oldest caches that have been out for nearly a year, recent checks have shown that 2 were still full and very well stocked with such goodies as CDs etc. The 3rd was looking a lot more sorry for itself so we repacked it with lots of goodies, the 4th need a couple of items adding so was still well stocked.

It could be luck of the draw - though we have noticed that you need to put a lot of stuff in an ammo box to make it look full!

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
It could be luck of the draw - though we have noticed that you need to put a lot of stuff in an ammo box to make it look full!

Yes, that IS a problem with using larger ammo boxes!!

We just placed a "virtual" cache in a Hornet ammo-box: there's LOADS of space in there!!! I believe someone just added some tickets for the Southampton vs Arsenal Cup Final in there :-)

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

. . . though what could be more valuable than a T&J bear - I rally can't imagine.

To get our latest bear we swapped him for a rather cute M&S Bear bookmark as we'd been SO disappointed to miss 3 T&J Bears recently that we had something really special ready to swap when we finally found one - and hopefully to go in some small way to counter the disappointment of the next person who finds the bear gone

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Codd:

..........and hopefully to go in some small way to counter the disappointment of the next person who finds the bear gone

That's not half as bad as coming back from checking on one of your own caches, only to meet T&J on their way out to it. You just know they're going to leave a new bear BUT YOU CAN'T GO AND GET IT WHEN THEY'VE GONE icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Whilst T&J bears are important to GoeC and we would loveto own one two or event three, it still seems to me that trqade items are note up to scratch. |t is rg8 to hear of people takeing more than one item to a cache site (even if it is because the missis says so. We find taking more than one item not only give our boy a choice of what he is going to replace what he has taken but also the chance to upgrage sites, or even leave something 4 everone.

4 instance food in caches is frowned appon yet we found some in a cache latly. We took it out left a swap in it's plce and left a swap too. if you only take 1 item you don't get the choice to do this.

Kids Caches and Mayhem what a day in the celtic tribal city.

quote:
We just placed a "virtual" cache in a Hornet ammo-box: there's LOADS of space in there!!! I believe someone just added some tickets for the Southampton vs Arsenal Cup Final in there :-)

Yeah, me! Not that I'd dream of giving up a *real* ticket of course... icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, back on topic [ahem]: I seem to have collected an awful lot of odds and ends that I like to swap, but I do try to make what I put in useful to a finder. I too dislike finding nothing but cracker contents in a cache! I did start off by taking something and then placing that something in the next cache, but this changed when I raided the loft! I also put quite a few goodies in caches I've set as I'd like folks to take away summat good when they pay a visit. It's worth it just to see the nice piccys that folks take... icon_biggrin.gif

Neutiquam erro.

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Codd:

Obviously to some it doesn't matter but I will do as the Targett family and if the contents are naff, leave a couple of good things.

Please take a look at this cache.

Particularly look at the log entries for Feb 20, 22 & 23 Liz had done us all proud!

The owner of the cache was so chuffed, he said "I have rededicated this Cache site as a JOINT site."

Do I hear a round of applause or a standing ovation ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

Yes it's terrible the rubbish people put in caches, I almost removed it this afternoon icon_wink.gif

Mark

"Keep the Blue flag flying High!"

I’ve just spent three weeks in Cornwall and have 11 logs to enter at some stage but have been requested by various members of TeamS-J to mention the quality or rather the lack in quality of some of the caches. Grandma S-J complains that the stuff I put in is far too good compared with the stuff the kids take out. I’m starting to see her point. One cache had a half a crab shell in it, or it would have been half a crab shell but by the time the lid was pressed down it was lots of bits of a crab shell. Another example was a series of post cards with a peg attached. I have also come across countless breakfast cereal plastic tat or half broken toys. On the other hand, another cache had a Mighty Bean in it, this was small cheap but oh so desirable to a six year old. It’s the “hidden (geo) treasure(cache)” that gets the kids out there, I just wish it didn’t involve so much tat.

For tat also include broken, dirty, used, copied(tapes & cd’s), cheap, useless, pointless, out of date, contrary to guidelines.

Well Mrs H and I, like to trawell round the Charity shops looking for items to swop. You can get some nice items quite cheaply.We get most of our Hedgehogs that way, or via car boots.

We are pleased by the number of times a cacher visit a cache immediatly after us and they take the item we have left. Shows that our swops can't be that bad icon_smile.gif

We are also glad that in the complaints about stuff in caches, no-one has said... 'and there's too many hedgehogs in the caches' icon_biggrin.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Yes but - how often do we hear that?

I am not too bothered about trading myself though fully sympathise with those who take children and hope to find something they like.

BUT in providing good swaps I think care should be taken not to overfill the box. At least two of my caches (admittedly small boxes as there was no room for anything bigger) were spoiled by cachers stuffing in items too big and not being able to seal the lids properly. Result - all the nice goodies soaked and mostly useless and perhaps more importantly also the log book in spite of being in its own bag. And there was one where someone found there was insufficient room for something and left it in its own bag beside the cache - next person stuffed it in and the camera was rendered useless!

Member Geocaching Association of GB

We've just returned from the North East and found the caches there rather disappointing for the children. Most were virtuals, others were micros and we only found one actual box with a few goodies in it (in fact we left two things and took nothing there). It's not a critism as those who cache op there obviously feel the hunting is the aim rather than the contents of the box but it did make us all realise the quality of boxes in the "Winchester Oasis"!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

Have been meaning to post to this thread for a while now, not really knowing what to put. And still not sure!!

Hazel and I enjoy the planning, drive, walk, search, find and filling in the log book. But also the 'exchange' of 'treasure'. We make an effort to place into the cache something that we feel may be of some use. This maybe for adults or children. Although we have found some well stocked and cared for caches, we have also found far more with absolute tat in them. And when I say 'tat' I mean that no effort has been put into the selection of the item at all!! Most likely whoever placed it was glad to be rid of it?? It does not take a lot of effort, and does not exactly break the bank buying a nice, useful item to place into a cache.

When a cache is first placed, someone most likely has gone to the trouble of sealable plastic bags, items in each and log book etc. Surely it is just the correct thing to do to keep the contents clean, tidy and replace the 'treasure' with a similar value and useful item?? Or possibly do not exchange at all!!

Thinking back aver the caches we have done, there has been a couple of times that even our 5year old granddaughter has turned her nose up!! And thats saying something.

Hey guys!! It's just the way I feel about it. It will not stop me caching in any way. And I will still continue to try and always exchange for equal or better value.

Guess I am just saying - Lets play fair' ??!!

icon_smile.gif

Sorry for ranting icon_smile.gif

Bob....

http://www.bobh.co.uk

'Life, it's a game with one serious bit - geocaching!'

This thread seems to have disappeared off the current list so I searched and, hopefully by posting it will bump it up the list . . . but then maybe it won't - weird things have been happening recently!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

We have just returned from a couple of weeks holiday in Northern Germany. Sadly, due to a lack of time to prepare, we only tried for 9 caches (found 7, 2 others "not found"... one we suspect is lost).

Of the 7, 5 were wrapped in plastic bags. One contained a small bottle of alcoholic "bitters" and a large penknife (we removed the alcohol). As for the contents, Michael was heard to say on several occasions "ah, more cheap cr@p"... often maybe just 2 or 3 cheap kiddy bits.

In most cases it was "took nowt, left one of our keyrings".

So, whilst the locations were reasonable, the cache boxes themselves were very uninspiring.

(The good news is that the North of Germany, up near Bremerhaven etc is lovely and flat, and great for cycling!)

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

quote:

So, whilst the locations were reasonable, the cache boxes themselves were very uninspiring.

Paul

And after your visit they improved dramatically (A Key Ring WOW)

Why not a Gold watch or a diamond ring.

If YOU had put something in worthwhile I may have sympathized with you.

I've noticed in the few I've found so far that some of the containers aren't completely water tight. This will obviously effect the contents. Even if the containers are water tight sometimes the lids aren't very good and so are difficult to put back right. I have tried to use very good containers on the caches I have hidden so as to protect the contents. The best one I have found to use so far is an ammunition box, roughly £2,50's worth.

HI 'makerofthingsup',

And there lies the problem. Some people are reluctant, for whatever reason, to part with any money. I have found it quite easy to get hold of ammo boxes etc. Just needs a little effort.

Also, and I am not sure why, plastic containers seem to sweat a little. And the contents therefore get a little damp??

Bob....

http://www.bobh.co.uk

'Life, it's a game with one serious bit - geocaching!'

quote:
Originally posted by L8 Ed:

quote:

Paul

And after your visit they improved dramatically (A Key Ring WOW)

Why not a Gold watch or a diamond ring.

If YOU had put something in worthwhile I may have sympathized with you.

Good advice from an experinced Geocacher?

Extract from L8 Ed's only find.

<Quote> January 27 by L8 Ed (1 found)

Easy found. Logged to show up in GUK

TNLN <Quote>

One cache done TNLN and you're an expert are you?

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

So you have to be an expert to see that complaining about something without doing anything about it is not improving things.

Please accept my profound apologies.

quote:
Originally posted by L8 Ed:

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

So you have to be an expert to see that complaining about something without doing anything about it is not improving things.

Please accept my profound apologies.

How is taking nothing and leaving a signature keyring not improving the contents of a cache? I personally love finding signature items and I would think placing one in another country makes it an even more interesting find for someone.

What is caches precious?

So there you go. We are all different. Good job too. I forgot when I posted. One mans meat is another man poison. Some like the walk, some like the logbook, some are more interested in the contents. So a bad walk to a rubbish tip that has a cache with £20 pound note in would have some people in heaven. Whereas a beautiful walk to a fantastic location with a cache full of Mctat would give pleasure to others. Mind you a Good walk to a fantastic location and a 20 pound note? Any takers.

Obviously there are some out there who like sig key rings and the like. I stand corrected.

I myself love the walk through a park, in the woods by a stream. the satisfing feeling of the find, but I am normally disappointed with the mostly less than token crap that is in most caches.I don't place $$ or exspensive things but a Bolt, a nut,a cocktail umberella,business cards,pennys ect... these is just too bad these people don't or won't spend a .50-1.00 for an item that is a little nicer. give me a break. I just started caching and find this is a big problem, Thats a shame but I still leave my things (mostly) and go away the 1 more cache to the list. I know people can't afford to do hunreds of these and place real good stuff but really quit the bull #*#*! Or don't bother taking or leaving.

I did a couple caches this weekend to find more crap and claen up caches after 2-3 other people were just there a did nothing to improve the condition of the cache when wet or not covered well. sorry it just ticks me off.

Maybe I really don't enjoy it that much or maybe I hope I find more in GREAT shape compared to most I've found so far.

Thanks for the vent

Doglady