Geocaching Bikers?

I use my gps on my bike. I have a magnetic tank bag with a clear panel on top of it for putting a map in it, is also ideal for the gps as you can glance at it while on the move without any problems at all. I also put my mobile phone in it so that i can see if I have missed any calls when I have been on the move without having to stop and take it out of my pocket!

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

Hmm I wasnt sure at first if the magnets would affect the electronics of the phone and gps but it doesnt seam to have any ill effects. I have not used my bike for caching as It would be too hot clambering about wild places in my leathers icon_eek.gif I also have a 600 Bandit I dont manage 20k a year though, thats pretty good going. I probally manage about 6-8k a year between my bandit and my scooter

Hmm I wasnt sure at first if the magnets would affect the electronics of the phone and gps but it doesnt seam to have any ill effects. I have not used my bike for caching as It would be too hot clambering about wild places in my leathers icon_eek.gif I also have a 600 Bandit I dont manage 20k a year though, thats pretty good going. I probally manage about 6-8k a year between my bandit and my scooter

I've a Honda Transalp. I got my gps for greenlaning then found out about geocaching. I used the handle bar mount for my Legend that sits by the left grip. It's at a bit of an angle but works fine. I have used it to geocache but I usually find wearing biker gear and hunting through bushes for caches looks rather odd!

I know this is the UK forum, and I'm from the states, but I am a female motorcycle rider. I have a Kawasaki EX500, and I love it. I have used it for geocaching, just to get to the general area and have had no trouble with the magnetic tank bag interfering. The only problem I had was carrying my helmet along on the hike. What a pain. Now I have a helmet lock on the bike so I don't have to do it anymore.

If you have a geocaching ride event, I would love to hear about it. If it is successful, maybe I'll try to plan one here.

Happy caching!

Ok, so call me a wimp but I dont like spiders....just imagine locking your helmet up with your bike, trundling off for an hour to find a cache then returning and setting off on your way to the next one.....

After a few minutes your ear gets tickled....

*shudder*

Personally I find that a rucksack with special section works fairly well if you need to walk and carry your lid!

Besides, I dont fancy leaving my lid out there for just anyone to vandalise......

On another note, if someone wants to set a time and date/place for a geocachers bike meet/rideout then count me in icon_smile.gif I am on the hants/wilts border if that helps.

Tiffany

Ok, so call me a wimp but I dont like spiders....just imagine locking your helmet up with your bike, trundling off for an hour to find a cache then returning and setting off on your way to the next one.....

After a few minutes your ear gets tickled....

*shudder*

Personally I find that a rucksack with special section works fairly well if you need to walk and carry your lid!

Besides, I dont fancy leaving my lid out there for just anyone to vandalise......

On another note, if someone wants to set a time and date/place for a geocachers bike meet/rideout then count me in icon_smile.gif I am on the hants/wilts border if that helps.

Tiffany

I dont know how close any of you are to Avebury however, every Wednesday evening there is a bike meet at the Red Lion pub there. Anyone interested in meeting up there? Email me from the contact details in my profile if you are interested in getting together.

Tiffany

(EDIT: Already have some interested people though they will be turning up in one of their 'interesting' cars! Should make the bikers heads turn a little!)

[This message was edited by Rangers of Ithilien on September 14, 2002 at 04:48 PM.]

I've just joined this Geocashing and have yet to get my first one.

But on the subject of GPS on a motorcycle i use an Emap with a RAM mount, which I imported from the US but you can get them here now, Cut's out all the vibration and the positioning is much higher so you can GLANCE and ride, ( I have done on a ride to Bavaria)

well worth it for only about £30., You also get them for other GPS, on the RAM site you get ones for Hand Guns (AHHHH), well it is a US made item.....

icon_biggrin.gif

I've just joined this Geocashing and have yet to get my first one.

But on the subject of GPS on a motorcycle i use an Emap with a RAM mount, which I imported from the US but you can get them here now, Cut's out all the vibration and the positioning is much higher so you can GLANCE and ride, ( I have done on a ride to Bavaria)

well worth it for only about £30., You also get them for other GPS, on the RAM site you get ones for Hand Guns (AHHHH), well it is a US made item.....

icon_biggrin.gif