Home town coordinates

Ive just read a post in the General forum about city coordinates and it got me thinking. Where does it take me if I go to the coords of my home town? I'm going to have a look tommorow night just to find out.

I know this cant be made a cache as there is still a moratorium on placing locationless caches, but then again I dont do locationless caches.

I am just curious to find out now, when I do find out I will post a description of the location here. How about you all doing the same I'd love to know where your gps takes you?

adrianjohn put your trousers on!

Grimsby Lincolnshire UK.

Whatever you do, don't take this as gospel truth, but...

I remember hearing at one point that, in this country at least, the co-ords were for the local post office.

Now, how accurate that is, I have no idea, as I can't remember where I heard it, and can't fathom out what would replace a PO in those towns were they've been shut down.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Logic would suggest that the coordinates would be for something like the Town Hall or whatever other centre of local government there is.

However, since when has the world been logical?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

An interesting question! A complete guess could be that it is the Post Office or more likely the local sorting office.

Usually, the postcode <blah>1 1AA is the sorting office. Certainly true here in Cambridge (CB1 1AA) and one of our neighbouring areas, Stevenage (SG1 1AA). So if the town locations are derived from postcodes, it could well be the sorting office in some cases.

Will check some out - could be a fun game!

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

quote:
An interesting question! A complete guess could be that it is the Post Office or more likely the local sorting office.

Usually, the postcode <blah>1 1AA is the sorting office. Certainly true here in Cambridge (CB1 1AA) and one of our neighbouring areas, Stevenage (SG1 1AA). So if the town locations are derived from postcodes, it could well be the sorting office in some cases.

icon_smile.gif

(Every one needs a bigger letterbox!)

Well I went to my Hometown coordinates tonight and didnt find a Post Office, The Town Hall or even The Parish Church!

The location was even a surprise to me, at first I was heading towards the town centre, but the location was beyond there. I drove on past the centre and was heading in the direction of one of the local parks, I eventually ended up in a cul-de-sac surounded by recently built houses (actually built in 2000) on the site of the old Weelsby St School. Across the road the primary school still stands.

Grimsby Lincolnshire UK.

I used the waypoint in my gps (a Magellan) and went to the place it led me to much like chasing a cache.

As I live near Louth Lincs and I know Louth is on the prime meridian I will check that one out Friday when I go to the office do do my weeky timesheet. Dont expect to find myself standing on the line though!

Grimsby Lincolnshire UK.