Problems with eTrex Venture?

ThePuddles

Hello all,

I don't know if anyone has experienced the same problem as me, so I'm sort of fielding the knowledge arena if you like icon_wink.gif

I've noticed a few times, whilst walking and driving that my navigation compass (when navigating to a waypoint) tends to point in completely the wrong direction.

Example, I'm walking towards a waypoint. My distance from it is going down, say 400 feet, 350 feet, 300 feet, etc. My direction says 'E'ast, the top of my compass is 'E'ast, yet the direction alarrow is still pointing to 'W'est.

The GPS is a brand new eTrex Venture. Its been doing it quite a lot, getting more frequent as time goes on. I thought of the batteries, but I have only had the unit a week, and the batteries are only about half gone.

Any ideas?

-------------

"I'm really looking forward to finding some geo-cash. Where can I spend it?" - My wife. Bless.

I notice the same thing, from time to time, with my Legend but it's always in conditions of poor signal reception. Once it gets a clear sight of the sky the pointer reverts back to showing the correct direction. It's almost as if the GPSr is using all it's computing power just to works out where it is from the poor data it's receiving, it doen't have time to correct all of the display... Daft, I know but that's the way it seems icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and

ability.

My venture doesn't have its own compass and I can't say I've ever noticed it getting it so wrong unless stationary or under the trees. Usually the driving signal is the best - since the speed seems to keep it on track.

Now, if your car has a heated front screen or a fancy metalic antiglare layer then you might be getting a bad signal even with a relatively clear view of the sky.

OR hope against hope, it might be broke!!

Have you a friendly geocacher near at hand to compare readings in similar settings (it's an old chat up line but you can use it if you like icon_smile.gif )

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

The compass on the Venture only works while you are moving. A trick I've discovered if you don't want to move is to hold the unit close to you then straighten out your arm so the unit is moved directly away from you. The compass arrow will then orientate to the correct direction.

But have you given the unit a good half an hour outside to fully download the almanac? Maybe it is incomplete and requires more download time?

Groover

Its had plenty of time to download the almanac! I did a two hour drive with it plugged into the car last weekend. And then, most of the way it didn't seem to be pointing in the correct direction.

I certainly haven't got a heated front windscreen, and definately not got the anti-glare thing. As for the batteries, they are on 75%.

I think it might be the venture itself going a little bit potty, I'm going to see if I can do a complete wipe and start again. I had an incident this morning where my waypoint which was about 3 miles to the north, was, according to the compass, in the middle of Poole Harbour. Nice! I'm sure my mother-in-law will be please to know she's moved !!!! icon_wink.gif

-------------

"I'm really looking forward to finding some geo-cash. Where can I spend it?" - My wife. Bless.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the Almanac for the 'normal' satellites was pre-loaded in the Etrex units. It was only the Almanac for the EGNOS satellite that required time to download the first time it was accessed with the WAAS enabled.

But then... what do I know?? icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the Almanac for the 'normal' satellites was pre-loaded in the Etrex units.

Yes and no. The data in the almanac tells the GPSr various bits and pieces about roughly where the satellites are so that it can choose which ones to try and get a lock from. The almanac will be invalid if the GPSr moves significantly or the time has changed significantly. So if your GPSr moves by a few hundred miles or some time (several days??) new almanac data is required. This can be got from any of the satellites, but I think it is only transmitted about every 15 minutes.

quote:
originally posted by jstead

Shouldn't the Etrex be stationary while it is acquiring the almanac?

I don't think so. Remember the satellites themselves are moving quite fast. However, I do forsee problems if you are downloading the almanac from one satellite and then it is blocked by a tree or building before the download is complete.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Guys, thanks for all your help but it would appear that it's actually my fault anyway.

The navigation compass is behaving perfectly normal. Normal, that is, if you've accidentally set your GPS compass to a 'Course Compass' and not a 'Bearing Compass'.

I was emailed by a member of staff on the Garmin Support Staff who told me why my GPS was doing the strange things it was.

The 'Course Compass' will always try to navigate me back to the correct course between two waypoints. So, as I set my 'GOTO' command on my waypoint the GPS would draw the line between the two, ie; my Course. Then, as I drove, or walked, and strayed off this course my GPS would try to navigate me back to the course, hence pointing in a different direction to my actual waypoint.

I'm sorry if I've wasted anyones time in posing this question, and too be honest, I feel a little silly now. Had I thoroughly read the manual before turning the GPS on I would've probably found the bit about the two different compasses.

Once again, Sorry! icon_smile.gif

-------------

No problems - I certainly wouldn't feel silly if I was you. In all the perfectly reasonable suggestions on this thread nobody, including the more experienced members, thought to suggest that the GPS was actually doing what it was supposed to icon_smile.gif.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

I bought a USB-to-serial converter cable - about 20 quid I think. Then use the ordinary Garmin serial cable without problems.

The bonus is that you can then use it for any other serial devices you might want to connect, at no extra expense.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

Woops sorry - finger got stuck!

Try Norma Pinkerton, she might be able to help....

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....