Space Shuttle Tragedy

WB Dodgy Daved!

I have to say it, I mean obviously condolences to the family of the shuttle disaster and all that...BUT

at the end of the day if they hadnt died in a space aircraft and had died in a bus down the M1 no one would have mentioned it.... I mean apart from a shuttle that has pioneered the last 30 years of space exploration and blown up there isnt really an awful lot to think about. Like I say condolences and heart felt wishes but I cant see why theres so much fuss.

I dont want this to appear mean Im just airing views.

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

WB Dodgy Daved!

I have to say it, I mean obviously condolences to the family of the shuttle disaster and all that...BUT

at the end of the day if they hadnt died in a space aircraft and had died in a bus down the M1 no one would have mentioned it.... I mean apart from a shuttle that has pioneered the last 30 years of space exploration and blown up there isnt really an awful lot to think about. Like I say condolences and heart felt wishes but I cant see why theres so much fuss.

I dont want this to appear mean Im just airing views.

_One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!_

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Pid, can't agree with you on this one.

The unnecessarily high level of accidents on our roads are certainly tragedies on a personal scale but are not on the same scale as the attempts to further mankind's knowledge (the experiments on the space station), technology and reach.

I am grateful for their acceptance of the high level of risk which went with their chosen roles, and for their attempts to improve our children's children's lives.

Our heart-felt sympathy to their families and the extended family of NASA, several of which are personal friends.

Dave

Sort of agree with Pid on this.

I was shocked and saddened to see the news yesterday. It took me all the way back to that long night back in 1969 (before Pid was born) when I watched those blurry images of Neil Armstrong climbing down onto the moon. I've been a keen follower of the space programme for as long as I remember.

I remember the sense of relief when Apollo 13 splashed down (for real, not on the film), I remember the numb feeling when Challenger exploded on takeoff and I felt shock again yesterday as I said.

BUT

Seven brave people died in an extremely risky adventure. Space travel is NOT routine, even in something as routine sounding as a 'Shuttle'. It is a risky business. Over the centuries thousands of people have died in their and mankind's quest for knowledge. It is part of the 'job' I could never do it and I admire those that do.

However their families' loss is no more serious than the family of that poor little girl that died when a tree fell on he in her school playground last week. Nor the family of the driver who died when a lorry crashed into him on the M1 last week, nor the families of those who died in the train crash in Zimbabwe last week and I could go on. I disagree that because the searchlight of publicity was on them and their poor families that their death is somehow more important.

ALL violent and unexpected death is awful, but it is part of 'life'. Why do we feel the need to write here on a Geocaching forum about one death and not another?

This is not meant to offend, just to express a genuinely felt concern.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

However their families' loss is no more serious than the family of that poor little girl that died when a tree fell on he in her school playground last week. Nor the family of the driver who died when a lorry crashed into him on the M1 last week, nor the families of those who died in the train crash in Zimbabwe last week and I could go on.

Agreed. The personal tragedy felt by the families is no different and will be heart-felt in every case.

Seven brave people died in an extremely risky adventure. Space travel is NOT routine, even in something as routine sounding as a 'Shuttle'. It is a risky business. Over the centuries thousands of people have died in their and mankind's quest for knowledge. It is part of the 'job' I could never do it and I admire those that do.

I wanted to draw the distinction between people who take risks because of an altruistic purpose as opposed to "accidents".

Dave

It seems to me to be human nature that when things become routine they don't make "important" news. Accidents on the M1 are routine. Space Shuttle accidents are not. When the day comes that there are as many space flights as there are Boeing 737 flights, space flight accidents will be reported with a similar importance that any Boeing 737 accident will be reported on now.

Groover

quote:

I wasnt aware Boeing 747 acidents were common place though....

That would be 737 accidents icon_smile.gif

They do come down fairly frequently in aviation terms (i.e. not that often really) mainly because they are so common. Of course now 50% of the Space Shuttle fleet has crashed so in one respect, space shuttle accidents are far more common than 737 accidents.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Edited out in case anyone ("?") was offended by the purely factual points I made regarding the shuttle fleet and airbus.

Apologies.

[This message was edited by el10t on February 05, 2003 at 07:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by el10t on February 05, 2003 at 07:17 AM.]

quote:

What does NASA stand for?

[ edited out Pid's TRULY tastless joke ].

About as funny as when Princess Di died.

Yup

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on February 05, 2003 at 06:55 AM.]

quote:

N***. A****. S****. A*****.... ****.

anything to do with caching?

Grow up you stupid little boy, Do you not think you and your mate's caused enough trouble on the list without coming out with a remark like that, Perhaps you could get your self on the next shuttle , and dropped off somewhere out of the way of decent people, why not LEARN to keep your childish and idiotic remarks to yourself, but as as captain mainwaring would have said"stupid boy"

Nige

_One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!_

[This message was edited by Moss Trooper on February 05, 2003 at 06:46 AM.]

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N* A*. S*. A*.... *.

anything to do with caching?

Grow up you stupid little boy, Do you not think you and your mate's caused enough trouble on the list without coming out with a remark like that, Perhaps you could get your self on the next shuttle , and dropped off somewhere out of the way of decent people, why not LEARN to keep your childish and idiotic remarks to yourself, but as as captain mainwaring would have said"stupid boy"

Nige

Oh dear Pid, you really have got them going now, one slip of the keyboard, a little tasteless joke and you are now outcast to the wastelands that was once Geocaching heaven.... is this why you cache in the dark - away from the creatures that habit the daylight hours?

[This message was edited by Moss Trooper on February 05, 2003 at 06:55 AM.]

Time to offer apologies from the UK forum to those affected by the Shuttle disaster for tasteless and ill concieved joke .

This is no time to make light of a tragedy. I'm sorry we were off line for a while and missed the posting or it would have been deleted immediately.

This thread is for the offering of condolences from the UK to our American cousins and it will stay that way.

A rather embarrased,

Tim & June (Winchester UK)

Ok fruitless.

I apoligise. I just dont see the need for a discussion about something irrelevant to geocaching.

I shouldnt have made the joke. I shouldnt have touched a rather touchy subject in a rather tasteless way. I am sorry and I wont be so fruitless again...

I think its time I took a break from the forums.

See you in a few weeks guys!

Pid

*Head hung low and tip toes away quietly*

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Well, I didn't see the joke, but I can guess what it was since it i saw it published in the New Scientist at the time of the last shuttle disaster along with a couple of others that were equally tasteless and yet funny (to those of us who were not affected by the tragedy in any way).

Humour is one way of dealing with the shock of something terrible so don't lynch Pid too hard - delete the offending post and move on.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Humour is one way of dealing with the shock of something terrible so don't lynch Pid too hard - delete the offending post and move on.

I didn't see the joke, but I agree. In the work place jokes are usually heard within three days of even the most horrendous of events. Some may tsk tsk the joke, but end up passing it on.

I don't much care for the "move on" phrase. This was used by the crooks who stole our last national election, but I'm almost getting over it.

Pid is wrong to leave the forum even if it is only for a short time, as he is already beating himself, a worse punishment you can not find.

I started this topic because the loss of the shuttle directly efects Geocaching. One of the tasks carried out by the shuttle, is to repair and re orbit satellites. in future they will be placeing the new generation of GP satellites, which will provide a civilian signal giveing us a Deci- metre signal.( thats the official description) 10s of cm Mancunian

I camp to cache!

Quote------------------------------------------

Edited out in case anyone ("?") was offended by the purely factual points I made regarding the shuttle fleet and airbus.

Apologies.

----------------------------------------------

el10t my comments were not because I was offended by your statement but rather the way Moss Trooper decided to edit this thread by "sanitizing" selected parts. This thread started as a tribute/book of condolence to the astronauts and turned into something else (a philosophical discussion on the value of life I think!). Pid used humor which is often used to come to terms with terrible events - tasteless or otherwise.

If this thread is so offensive then it should have been removed completely and not partially cleaned according to one persons sensibilities - the joke was as valid as any otehr comments (cras or not - a warning at the top of the thread my have been better).

Back to Pids argument - I disagree the reason the shuttle disaster hits us so hard is the more to what it represents than to merely the deaths of 7 people. If (god forbid) Pid you were to die in a horrific accident (even on the M1) I am sure it would hit the Geocaching community very hard as you too have become an icon of UK Geocaching and as such like the astronauts would generate posts such as this (and maybe even a sick joke or too).

quote:
One of the tasks carried out by the shuttle, is to repair and re orbit satellites. in future they will be placeing the new generation of GP satellites, which will provide a civilian signal giveing us a Deci- metre signal

For some time now, the shuttle has NOT been doing satellite launches. After Challenger, they were instructed to concentrate on things that needed human intervention... ie building ISS, repairing Hubble, doing experimants.

As for the GPS satellites (and the soon-to-be launched European version), their orbit is WELL beyond Shuttle's low-earth orbit, so whilst the shuttle COULD launch a sat/booster combi, it's cheaper to just use a rocket.

And for repair by shuttle.... sorry, no can do, no way to get them back low enough!

Paul

Team Blitz

("let the woman drive"?)