Anybody using Memory Map?

dylanhayes

I have been forging ahead with my GPS related website (see previous posting) and have added support for various programmes. I have got the site supporting various file formats, including memory map, as the memory map people were kind enough to send me a PDF on the format. But when I tested the unregistered version of memory map with the track file I had created it appeared to parse the file but it had no map to display it on so I don't know if it works or not.

So, if there is anybody who has memory map can they please have a go at downloading a route and seeing if it works? If you have any tracks in memory map can you please send them to me, so I can develop an import facility for this format as well.

The URL is:

http://paddington.moraine.co.uk/routebankng/

If anybody is using software other than Easy/Expert GPS, Ozi Explorer or Memory Map for GPS management can they tell me what it is, so I can attempt to support it. If nothing else this site will provide a nice way of converting tracks from one format to another!

Don't mention the mushrooms

Dylan,

Tried downloading the test route but the download button would not work, do you have to be registered on your site for this to work?

Tried registering but it didn't like my user name Dave Schofield it said the name was too short and didn't like a four letter password (I use longer passwords but only for secure site's, memory not good enough for too many passwords!!)

If you want to send the file directly that is fine, you can access my mail address through my profile, or let me know how to download it.

Hope this is some help.

Dave

I downloaded the Blakney point walk and noticed a couple of things.

As I registered I used a 5 char password and was told I must use a password of at least 5 chars.

The downloaded file ended up on my machine as filename.txf.txt and so needed renaming to allow import.

After changing the filename it imported fine.

Kev

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Thanks for the comments. Username and password validation is a lot more tolerant, and you should have no problem creating an account.

The file extension thin I'll take a look at, it's all down to MIME types for the file I dynamically create.

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

The downloaded file ended up on my machine as filename.txf.txt and so needed renaming to allow import.

After changing the filename it imported fine.

Exactly the same for me.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

It works on my desk. Honest! To those that had the file renaming problem with memory map can you tell me what browser you have (I have IE6.0 on a PC) and I can see what I can do. To be honest I'm not sure I'm doing something right when I send the file, but it seemed to work for me, so I left it as it was.

I'm having problems with EasyGPS 1.1.9 and GPS Utility 4.04.6. I can download files without problems, and opening them in Notepad shows that they appear to be ok.

But I get a .gpx file whether I choose .gpx or .loc. If I choose .loc then EasyGPS shows me an empty file. If I choose .gpx EGPS only shows the first waypoint.

GPSU shows me an empty file either way.

There was a bug in the .LOC download which is fixed now. With LOC and GPX you should get the route plus waypoints for start and end.

Have not had any trouble with downloading routes, but sometimes for reasons beyond me you might find you have to download the route to your disk and then open it in your programme rather than just allowing it to open automatically if you press open. Different browsers repond differently to being sent a file, but it seems to work OK with IE6.0 and XP or windows 2000.

Will try to test with GPSU next.

quote:
Username and password validation is a lot more tolerant, and you should have no problem creating an account.

I just created an account: whilst it was happy with the name "Paul Blitz", it said that "Paul.Blitz" (same length) was "not enough characters"!

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....