Who gets a cache credit?

MCL

Question for anyone who knows please...

When you plant a cache and you do it as part of a team, only one person can actually log themselves as the planter. So what about the other person? Can they log it as a find? or a note? or what?

Whats the rules?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

F-Stop and I do almost all our caching together but we plant our caches under our own names... the one cache we did plant as a team F-Stop was named as planter.

I think you just need to accept that one of you will be the planter unless you create a user that is the team and do all the plants under this name maybe?

Thats not quite what I was asking, Monz. What I want to know is if the other person can claim the plant as a find under their own name, assuming they have not chosen to create a team name for that purpose.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

you can credit the cache to who ever you want, but the profile attached to the page will only be to the account that summited the cache.

hope they explains it somewhat....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

Thats not quite what I was asking, Monz. What I want to know is if the other person can claim the plant as a find under their own name, assuming they have not chosen to create a team name for that purpose.

whack.gif

quote:

Why would you want to claim a cache that you have planted as a find? icon_confused.gif

Surely that is just playing the numbers game?

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

Why? Well people are doing it and I wanted to know if it was OK.

The problem would appear to be that if you plant a cache with someone else, and they take the plant then on your page of "unfounds", that cache will apear. The only way to get it off you list of "caches not found" is to log it as a "find". A "note" will not do, it must be a find. Which seems daft to me. What we really want is a facility to "hide" or "ignore" caches that we are not going to do, to keep the list tidy.

That why I was asking. Its got nothing to do with who takes credit for the plant, its about whether the other planters get a credit for a find.

quote:

That why I was asking. Its got nothing to do with who takes credit for the plant, its about whether the other planters get a credit for a find.

It depends if he helped you plant the cache. If he knew where the cache was, then he can hardly claim a point for finding it.

On the other hand, if he just wants to just get it off his unfound list, then log it. Who cares - the numbers are your own business anyway.

This has been a bit of a problem for me and Pid seeing we have hidden 90% of our caches as a team and we have to split them down the middle but you just have to grin and bare it. I agree with Slytherin, who cares if you claim it, its up to you, theres no prize for most caches. Maybe one day Jeremy Could make an option for two or more people to have the same cache under their names but thats upto him icon_wink.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Wilson:

I agree with Slytherin, who cares if you claim it, its up to you, theres no prize for most caches

OH MY GOSH! I cant believe how unbelievebly wrong this is.

I think it sucks that people think the numbers game is a hoax and its all about the finding,,,Dan is such a hypocrite sometimes. He really worries about getting his numbers up and talks about it all the time but when it comes to talking about it on here he says its ok and the numbers are your own business and its ok to log caches planted by your team memeber...I think hes just trying to get his numbers up...I dont count finds that he plants...he does with mine though. ok fair enough he found it without help but even so I wouldnt log it because I think its unfair to find a cache that your mate planted, for the simple reason in the eyes of other cachers it looks like cheating, and its just plain unfair and wrong.

Maybe I just take this game far too seriously but numbers are numbers and I reckon they count in this game. Its the whole pride in the find!

Have you noticed why Dan has 2 more cache finds than me icon_wink.gif ???? (not including Glorious Gloucesteshire Badger!)

Pid

Ben Piddington www.buckscaching.co.uk

Well, I think it's perfectly fair to log a cache that your mate planted as long as you didn't know where it is before you found it. It's probably not fair to log a cache that you planted as part of a team, but as there are no prizes (apart from TandJ bears) it's not that big a deal.

Having said that, there seems to be a tradition of people posting congratulatory messages on the forum when you get to 100 caches. I think I would have felt very uncomfortable if any of those had had been merely because I wanted my unfound cache list to be tidy.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I think the whole unfound list being tisy thing should not be a issue at the end of the day if you know its your or a team members cache then it doesnt technically matter. As regards to the getting to the 100 thing I don't think its fair that people get congratulated when they havent really done the 100.

Recently on one of our caches a person logged the find without any comments on the page. I think this is just arrogant not sharing any thoughts with others. I am seriously contemplating deleting his log. What do you guys think?

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Recently on one of our caches a person logged the find without any comments on the page. I think this is just arrogant not sharing any thoughts with others. I am seriously contemplating deleting his log. What do you guys think?

It does seem a shame that someone finding a cache you took the effort of placing doesn't take time to share his thoughts with you once found, but having said that it is really up to the individual how much or how little they write in a log.

I honestly wouldn't delete the log in question - this is only likely to invoke bad feeling and achieve a local cachers feud (something similar happened in the States recently where two active cachers took a dislike to each other, resulting in log deletions).

Why don't you send the person an email politely asking what they thought of your cache, what the challenges were etc and when they write back ask if they could add those comments to their log.

It looks as though the person is quite new (6 finds I think) so they might just need a bit of encouragement. Deleting their log might put them off for life.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Well, I think it's perfectly fair to log a cache that your mate planted _as long as you didn't know where it is_ before you found it.

probably not fair to log a cache that you planted as part of a team, but as there are no prizes (apart from TandJ bears) it's not that big a deal

-------

jeremyp

I agree with you Jeremy, To me, logging a cache that your mate planted that you seen him/her hide, or you do it as a team effort to hide it , then one of you or more logs it as a find , Terribleway to go about the hobby, cheating just to get your numbers up, even worse is logging a cache before it comes on to geocaching .com. so others dont get the chance to be first,

But some are born like that, doesn't matter where you go in this world , there will always be the cheats icon_mad.gif

Nige

Yes, i do think you are taking this way too seriously. Sometimes i wonder about certain people, some replies on these forums would hardly promote the sport as a happy family type accivity icon_wink.gif When it came to claiming your caches I have never known their locations beforehand and as i think you will see from responses on this forum - logging a mates cache (provided you are unaware of its location and didnt help with the planting) is perfectly acceptable, why shouldn't it be? afterall the game is to find caches, and caches i found. Can i also add that the caches in question were Pid only caches and had nothing to do with me.

My view on other people logging their own caches - No i wouldn't do it, but i wouldn't go off my head if i saw MCL had logged his own. Why bother there really is no prize.

So all explained I don't feel like i am being hypocritical in the slightest. Lighten up mate- go and find some lunch boxes icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

But some are born like that, doesn't matter where you go in this world , there will always be the cheats

YEP and Cheats never prosper icon_wink.gif

Whatever way you look at it seems I am the one taking it a little too far but even so its just the way I feel and I take the numbers game the most serious thing in caching don't see it fit to log your friends cache regardless of whether you saw him plant it or not.

MY OPINION NIGEL

Pid

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

I don't think you should delete the log for the following reasons:

- It would affect his numbers. If he is someone who values his number score (and some of us do, some of us don't) then you are "stealing" a legitimate point back off him.

- Since the object of the geocaching game is to find caches, (ultimately), then by deleting his log you are effectively saying he did not find your cache, and that he is lying. To call someone a liar by implication when it is not true is very bad.

- He may have absolutely hated your cache, but is too polite to say what he thought of it in public. In which case he is better off saying nothing, to save everyone's feelings, his and yours.

So, I agree with the idea of emailing him and asking him what he thought of your cache and then asking if he would like to put those comments on the cache page (or offer to do it for him perhaps).

[This message was edited by MCL on November 11, 2002 at 10:17 AM.]

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

But some are born like that, doesn't matter where you go in this world , there will always be the cheats

YEP and Cheats never prosper icon_wink.gif

MY OPINION NIGEL

Pid

Ben Piddington [url=http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk[/quote[/url]

Yes Pid , thats the good thing about this country your opinion counts, The other good thing is if you voice your opinion on the forum , No one's going to have a shot at you icon_biggrin.gif

Nige

A shot?? hehe....out of a gun perhaps? icon_biggrin.gif

Yes I do agree with MCL in everything he quotes in his post, I am not going to delete the post really, never was but was seriously contemplating it at one point.

I don't think anyone that posts on these forums would even think about not writing a word after finding a cache, the fact that this cacher in question doesn't post on these forums either says to me that he is a truly boring cacher who doesn't have any bit of faith in the sport...the main thing about Geocaching (apart from the numbers of caches you find!) is the whole ONLINE COMMUNITY spirit, counts for alot if this sport is going to go places, we could do without people who don't really want to take part.

Pid

quote:
Originally posted by Team D&P:

Oh dear Pid, now your not logging any caches by firends you better remove all of P.Howards and any by anone else you have met and liked, i mean we can't have that can w, its blatent cheating icon_wink.gif

Dan Wilson - http://www.Buckscaching.co.uk

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to come up with that argument in favour of being able to log friends caches. Perhaps he should delete a few of your logs on his caches after which you'll be enemies and be able to log each others caches legitimately. icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:

I don't think you should delete the log for the following reasons:

- He may have absolutely hated your cache, but is too polite to say what he thought of it in public. In which case he is better off saying nothing, to save everyone's feelings, his and yours.

That depends on why he hated the cache. If there was something wrong with it, it's better that everybody knows. e.g. if the cache was in the middle of a landfill site or other unpleasant location, even if it does hurt the feelings of the cache placer.

In this case, I think it's more likely that he just couldn't be bothered and so a polite e-mail might do the trick here.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Team D&P:

Oh dear Pid, now your not logging any caches by firends you better remove all of P.Howards and any by anone else you have met and liked, i mean we can't have that can w, its blatent cheating

Dan Wilson - http://www.Buckscaching.co.uk

HAHAHA, NoNoNo!

I met Peter Howard off of Geocaching.com and only through the internet so I see that as ok to log his caches, because I didn't know him for several years and discover Geocaching with him.

The whole reason behind me not logging Dan's caches is about me knowing him for so long and discovering caching with him,, going to every cache with him finding PHowards caches with him, I make my own caches and you log them....don't think its fair or right to log not only your mates cache but your "Team member's" cache either.

We obviously have a difference of opinion on this, I have said my mind now so I don't see the point in me explaining it any further. You log my caches mate, just don't expect me to log yours!

Pid

quote:

the fact that this cacher in question doesn't post on these forums either says to me that he is a truly boring cacher who doesn't have any bit of faith in the sport...

That's a bit harsh... innit?

There must be very many geocachers out there that have never posted a message on the forum. To imply that they are all boring and have "no faith in the sport" is just a bit unfair, don't you think.

Looking back at the last couple of weeks postings (without actually counting) it would appear that the vast majority of them have been contributed by just half a dozen or so geocachers. Are these guys and girls the only non-boring ones... I don't really think so.

John

"Normal" people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

You really are a bit over the top arnt you pid. As for the team mates thing, we don't have an account together so really its just something we might call ourselves. It seems strange that you dont think that you could hide a cache, then i could put the effort into driving there and finding it and then not claim it? Your right we will have to agree to disagree on this as I will keep logging caches that i find in that way. If what you believe became a rule i'm sure many people all over the country would be on a mass delete of cache logs right now. Once again your taking lunch box hunting and turning it into something it really isn't intended to be. My advice - Start a website called 'PiddiCaching.Com' where everyone is against each other. Write your own 100 page rule book and make it so people have to email you with cache finds so they can be approved!

By the way - do you actually want a lift to the next cache we do? Sounds like your up for a walk at the moment.

quote:

I was referring to the one person who doesnt post on the forums or leave a message on his logs of cache finds....He either cant type or is as I said very boring.

Or leads such an exciting, interesting and varied life that he/she doesn't have time to be messing about with forums and logs and saddos like us who's whole life revolves around the geocaching forums.

-------

jeremyp

Dan man, I am calm,,,,extremly calm.

Whats the point in the new website malarkey????I aint trying to change any rules. I am just telling you I dont like my mates logging my caches. Simple, am not trying to change your opinion either.

You better change your name mate.....Team D+P i think your name is...Hmmmmmmmmm...need I say more. icon_wink.gif

As for the lift thing....Up to you mate if you wanna cache in the dark alone. hehe. Not sure I would icon_biggrin.gif

Pid