Extraordinary caches ... A conundrum.

Hello all. (cache advert)

Is there a reasonable solution? (see above)

With sincerity, (without question)

Everyone has a good reason for advertising

their cache... I am currently trying to get the

UK some more forums for subjects like cache

advertising.

Monz (Admin)

44158_400.jpg

[This message was edited by Monz on June 29, 2002 at 04:31 AM.]

the reason we ask people not to advertise their caches here is so that the board does not become clogged with adverts for different cacvhing experiences.

as for your point. Most cachers (i know i do) check there "closest caches to home co-ordinates" link on there "my cache page" site. Thnis tells cachers the closet caches to them within 100miles radius and so it is not likly that your caches will NOT appear on anyones page, it is actually more likly that alien life will land on the earth than your cache not be read/visited by anyone! icon_smile.gif

the reason we ask people not to advertise their caches here is so that the board does not become clogged with adverts for different cacvhing experiences.

as for your point. Most cachers (i know i do) check there "closest caches to home co-ordinates" link on there "my cache page" site. Thnis tells cachers the closet caches to them within 100miles radius and so it is not likly that your caches will NOT appear on anyones page, it is actually more likly that alien life will land on the earth than your cache not be read/visited by anyone! icon_smile.gif

Dear Tapir, I understand your concerns regarding "remote" caches and the fact that they won't appear on many people's "Nearest Caches" pages.

However I don't think you need worry unduly. If I'm going on holiday, or visiting somewhere remote from me I always check the area for caches before I go. I do this by regularly downloading all the UK caches from Chris 'n Maria's immensely useful pages http://www.sheps.clara.net/UKTools.html and then importing them into a mapping program I have.

I'm sure there are other ways people use as well for checking new areas.

So keep placing remote caches and you can be sure someone will go there eventually.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:I do this by regularly downloading all the UK caches from Chris 'n Maria's immensely useful pages http://www.sheps.clara.net/UKTools.html and then importing them into a mapping program I have.

I'd just like to point out that our pages Only hold a link to Rob & Lisas page. Rob is the genius who provides the downloadable files for us all and again I'd like to say a big thanks to him.

(just didn't want to steal his credit - now if you are talking spreadsheets that's a different story icon_wink.gif )

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:I do this by regularly downloading all the UK caches from Chris 'n Maria's immensely useful pages http://www.sheps.clara.net/UKTools.html and then importing them into a mapping program I have.

I'd just like to point out that our pages Only hold a link to Rob & Lisas page. Rob is the genius who provides the downloadable files for us all and again I'd like to say a big thanks to him.

(just didn't want to steal his credit - now if you are talking spreadsheets that's a different story icon_wink.gif )

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Originally posted by the tapir:

Hello all. _(cache advert)_

Is there a reasonable solution? _(see above)_

With sincerity, _(without question)_

_Everyone has a good reason for advertising

advertising._

_Monz (Admin)_

Thanks to the Hornet for useful input.

I fear that others may not be able to thoughtfully contribute to this discussion as my original thoughts were deleted by a moderator.

I have (admittedly belatedly) come to understand why cache adverts are not allowed ... but frankly, my original post in this thread did not contain such an advert (as no cache names or locations were posted, only a sincere attempt at discussion).

But since my attempt at discussion was deleted (by an owner of the board who, truth be said, has the right to delete whatever they want ... it's their board, after all), no useful discussion on the topic will be forthcoming from this point forward, since my original thoughts are gone.

Having said that, I would like to see the "cache advertisement forum" proposed (ironically?) by the Monz. Yes, a reasonable solution ... a board devoted to those who wish to explain why I should visit a cache that I would have otherwise not have heard about ... that would indeed be useful, what with the increasing proliferation of (often pedestrian) UK caches.

I'm a bit surprised that someone with immediate powers of deletion doesn't have immediate powers of creation.

With respect to opposing views,

Scott

44158_400.jpg

[This message was edited by the tapir on June 29, 2002 at 03:04 PM.]

If we are going to have a dicussion forum containing cache adverts why not add some value?

I would like to know what caches involve a short walk, long walk, could be cycled, are suitable for prams and wheelchairs etc. It is not possible to get such information without ploughing through cache descriptions. Even then you may not get the information. Perhaps some intelligently thought out thread subjects could enhance things. Any ideas?

If we are going to start a separate forum lets think carefully how it would be structured as to add value to information provided.

I still fail to understand why it cannot be done on this forum but as has already been said- I accept other peoples points of view even if I may not agree with them.

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

I must admit that when I was "lurking" on the forum before posting, I was bemused by the no adverts rule, but going back in history there seemed to be good reasons for it, sadly a blanket ban imposed in the depths of history due to one individual who linked business with caching in such a way as to force a "no plugs" rule.

It's like the tail of the monkeys in a cage, if one of them tried to climb the rope they all got water hosed. Eventually if one of them tried to climb the rest turned on the attempted climber and beat him up, this situation even happened when new monkeys came into the cage.

The conclusion is it's just the way things are done round here....

I think we all agree a separate forum ( or ongoing thread??) is the way forward.

Chris

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

quote:
Originally posted by the tapir:

I'm a bit surprised that someone with immediate powers of deletion doesn't have immediate powers of creation.

With respect to opposing views,

Scott

Hi there,

Just by way of an explination, we are not owners, we are Administrators/Moderators.

You also posted two straight cache adverts of which the first was deleted immediately, the second was edited so then you posted a long description to dicuss the advertised caches.

You have quite obviously placed some remarkable caches and for this you should be congratulated, but you know the rules of the forum and what stands for one stands for all, we cannot be selective in the enforcement.

Hope this makes things clearer for all.

Monz (Admin)

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

I would like to know what caches involve a short walk, long walk, could be cycled, are suitable for prams and wheelchairs etc. It is not possible to get such information without ploughing through cache descriptions. Even then you may not get the information. Perhaps some intelligently thought out thread subjects could enhance things. Any ideas?

What makes you think that a thread / forum on caches would be any easier to "plough through" than the actual cache page? I see absolutely no value in creating a separate source of information on caches other than the actual cache page itself. In fact it makes things worse: people who place caches wil have to write things down twice and people who search for caches will have to look in two places.

You make some good arguments that the information on cache pages could be improved, but the correct answer is to improve cache pages, not introduce yet another source of information.

There is also an argument that people might not notice the placement of remote caches. Again, the correct answer is not to create a separate source of information, but to improve the way the information is presented on the geocaching pages. This problem could be solved easily by an option to display all caches in a particular region (such as the UK) or have an e-mail notification of new caches in a particular region.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

There a four main ways to locate caches and all are simple enough really to void any sort of further advertising because they are in remote locations. Some have already been covered.

1 Just do a search for UK caches from the seek a cache page or indeed from the front page of Geogaching.com

2 Do above and bookmark the page, simply takes you to the UK cache pages and as we all know the latest caches are at the top.

3 Do the same as 2 from "your cache page home co-ordinates"

4 Do as I do and have the weeks new UK caches emailed to you.

If I am going anywhere I check to see if there are caches in the area. The requirement for advertising the caches on a forum is really just doubling up info. As for the cache description it is up to the cache owner how much info he feels the cache warrants.

I have caches that go from a few words to needing to download maps and documents. I have a cache that is so remote from me if it is logged once a year I would be suprised, but to me there are times that just planting it is enough, knowing that it's there.

As for the proposed UK forum (if it comes to maturity) I actually have no problem with as it will be specific to cache advertising.

At present acceptable cache adverts in UK forum will only be for Meets and Events.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

The simple answer seems to be to create an advert forum. I understand the people incharge are busy but i have run forums and it would take 5 minutes to do. Everyone has their own points of views. I personaly would enjoy reading topics solely dedicated to cache advertising as others would. Those who think there is no reason such as Jeremy.P for example (not a personal dig, simply an example after reading your thoughts) would not have to visit this section. There is no point in throwing aside someones point of view. There are people who would like this forum and yes we may all be stupid because we can read the cache pages for all the info we need, but we would still like it. All these discussions could then be ended and no one else would have to take a slating! I am once again open to 'constructive critisism' icon_wink.gif Dan.

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

The simple answer seems to be to create an advert forum. I understand the people incharge are busy but i have run forums and it would take 5 minutes to do. Everyone has their own points of views. I personaly would enjoy reading topics solely dedicated to cache advertising as others would. Those who think there is no reason such as Jeremy.P for example (not a personal dig, simply an example after reading your thoughts) would not have to visit this section. There is no point in throwing aside someones point of view. There are people who would like this forum and yes we may all be stupid because we can read the cache pages for all the info we need, but we would still like it. All these discussions could then be ended and no one else would have to take a slating! I am once again open to 'constructive critisism' icon_wink.gif Dan.

Sorry, i must also say i do note what you said monz:

Everyone has a good reason for advertising

advertising.

And would be very greatfull if you suceeded with this!

Yes indeed the sooner these advertisng forums are up the sooner can these pages of forums be dedicated to caching ad ONLY caching! nevermind the advertising page lets just concentrate on getting these forums advert free, and there to be a place for adverts to be.

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)