Off topic-planning U.K. trip in 2004

I am planning to visit the U.K sometime in 2004. My wife anad I are going to take about three weeks and visit the area about 30 miles west of London. Someone suggested that we visit Bath, Oxford,Stratford, Salisbury/Stonehenge, and Bradford upon Avon(?). Does anyone have other suggestions for us? What is a good time of year to travel in the U.K.? Planning to do alittle caching while I am in the U.K. Any other suggestions for us to do?

Thanks for your help/suggestions

quote:
Originally posted by catering chef:

Someone suggested that we visit Bath, Oxford,Stratford, Salisbury/Stonehenge, and Bradford upon Avon(?). Does anyone have other suggestions for us? What is a good time of year to travel in the U.K.?

All of these are cities worth a visit, with the possible substitution of "Stratford upon Avon" for Bradford icon_biggrin.gif

For other historic cities, consider London (obviously. But get Chris and Marias tube cache map before you do!) and York (possibly a bit out of your way but if you are here for three weeks you never know)

Weather fairly temperate - any time of the year is OK. Avoid the M25 at all costs. Oh, and don't try to get down to Cornwall for a bank holiday weekend.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

I am planning to visit the U.K sometime in 2004.

Go for it!

quote:
My wife anad I are going to take about three weeks and visit the area about 30 miles west of London.

Oh well, there's worse places you could have been sent to icon_wink.gif (I should say at this point, that being from the North, I'm a tad biased!)

quote:

Someone suggested that we visit Bath, Oxford,Stratford, Salisbury/Stonehenge, and Bradford upon Avon(?). Does anyone have other suggestions for us?

It depends on what you like really - if it's spectacular scenery and walking you're after, you could do a lot worse than the Peak District, The Lake District, The North York Moors and just about anywhere in Scotland, North of a line through Dundee and Oban, and West of a N-S line through Elgin...

quote:
What is a good time of year to travel in the U.K.?

There's NO good time of year to travel here icon_wink.gif In the Summer there are hordes of caravans heading off into the country, road works as far as the eye can see, and rail driver/airport staff strikes. In the Winter everything on the roads grinds to a halt at the first sign of snow/ice, and the railways decend into chaos as soon as there are leaves on the rail lines. Fog puts paid to air travel.

Any other time is great though... icon_wink.gif

Regards

G.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

All of these are cities worth a visit, with the possible substitution of "Stratford upon Avon" for Bradford

Bradford Upon Avon (as opposed to Bradford) is a fantastic place and really worth a visit. It's just down the road from us (look out for us in the Swimming pool on Saturday mornings) and we love it.

However, Stratford on Avon is obviously worth a visit, and you can drive from Bath to Stratford (via Oxford?) through the Cotswolds.

As far as the timing goes, the weather starts picking up in May and is nice through to September. However, school holidays run from the 3rd week in July to the end of August so avoid those. Personally I'd go for June or September, but its OK outside these months - it never gets really cold.

We talk about the weather a lot because you never know what its going to do tomorrow. Come prepared for rain a mild temperatures and you won't go far wrong. If you're interested in more detailed information then try here

We live near Bath, Stratford is less than 2 hours (caravans permitting icon_mad.gif). If you want any specific advice on places to stay, restaurants, caches in the area (not all ours icon_biggrin.gif) then let us know.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Dave

[This message was edited by The Wombles on January 29, 2003 at 02:24 PM.]

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replys. I am very excited about traveling to the U.K. It will be our first trip over seas.

I am a Chef by trade and can't wait to try some differant types of food.

The weather is not a big issue for us because we live in Minnesota, where we have had a VERY stange winter. Lack of snow/very cold temps.

Once again thanks for the replies. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Chicken Tikka Massala is the national dish over here. But you also need to try:

- cornish pasties

- cumberland sausages

- suffolk ham

- local cheeses

- regional ales

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

Make sure you try the British national dish - Chicken Tikka Massala icon_wink.gif (Don't be misled by claims about fish 'n' chips, roast beef and the like; we eat far more curries than anything else!)

quote:

If you get up to Yorkshire, then you have to try a giant filled yorkshire pudding. They're available elsewhere, but only 'real' up north!

quote:
The weather is not a big issue for us because we live in Minnesota, where we have had a VERY stange winter. Lack of snow/very cold temps.

Once again thanks for the replies. icon_wink.gif

The problem with the weather here is that we're totally unprepared for it. It snows every year, but when it does snow, there's chaos! People crash their cars and blame the slippery road, train lines stop working... very odd. But as has been pointed out already - you can't really guess what the weather will be like, but it never goes too extreme.

Cheers,

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

Wot about Black pudding then???????

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Is it politically correct to call it BLACK pudding? Might be better if you called it 'extremely dark brown' pudding icon_wink.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

How about dried pigs blood coloured pudding?

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Did I ever tell anyone the story about when I gave a black pudding to a muslim after telling him it wasnt pig??

I didnt actually know it was pigs blood at the time. Only after did I get told and almost skinned alive.

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

How about dried pigs blood coloured pudding?

-------

No! It's definitely BLACK... Come up to Bury market any Tuesday or Friday, and try the *real* thing... It was invented here, after all...

Oh, and don't forget tripe, haggis, elder, pig's trotters, cow heel, jellied eels, potted beef, haslet, and tart's lungs in aspic...

(PS - if you're not too keen on the colour of black pudding, there's always white pudding... or should that be pudding of NO colo(u)r?)

PPS - I told you about the weather bringing the country to a standstill!

Regards

G.

quote:
Originally posted by geomania:

No! It's definitely BLACK...

So you're saying dried pigs blood is black apart from the lumps of fat.

It's amazing that anything that sounds this bad tastes so good.

quote:

Oh, and don't forget tripe, haggis, elder, pig's trotters, cow heel, jellied eels, potted beef, haslet, and tart's lungs in aspic...

Tart's lungs in aspic? You need to elaborate on that. icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

quote:
Originally posted by geomania:

No! It's definitely BLACK...

So you're saying dried pigs blood is black apart from the lumps of fat.

It's amazing that anything that sounds this bad tastes so good.

quote:

Tart's lungs in aspic? You need to elaborate on that. icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

Sorry Jeremy, that should have read Tart's lungs in arsenic...

Now, I must go and take my medication..

G.