Gah Pollen!

Any other chachers suffer from hayfever?

I've been completely hammered by it for the past week or so. Es and I went out to plant our first cache on the weekend and I had to evacuate and go wait in the car half way through it. Mind you trapsing through meadows porbably wasn't really helping matters.

What is caches precious?

Yep, its seriously hindered my caching for the past month now. We usually cache late in an evening but lately, the pollen count is still high then.

Ahhh, for the days of rain & mud - I said I'd not know what to do when it was sunny and dry! icon_wink.gif

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

I've suffered with hay fever for years and it really got me down. I also seemed to be very attractive to any biting insects in the area. My GP told me that one of the little known side effects of taking Vitamin B Complex was to make you less attractive to biting insects so I've been taking one tablet a day for the last nine months. It hasn't worked for the insects, I still get bitten by everything is sight but strangely, this summer I've not been troubled by hay fever at all. I've not had to take a single anti-hay fever pill.

It's probably just coincidence.....

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

I used to get really bad hayfever too. People were constantly asking me why I had been crying, I sneezed so many times it made driving a real hazard, and for some reason I am really sensitive to all types of anti histamine and when I take then I just fall into a deep sleep.

BUT for the last 18 months I have been taking part in a trial at Southampton Hospital. I've had immunotherapy for grass pollen. Although my eyes have been abit itchy and I've sneezed a few times it is hundreds of times better. If you can get your doctor to approve this type of treatment, and don't mind injections then I would say go for it!!

In fact I am off to have a jab today, I wonder where the nearest cache is to the hospital....

quote:
If you can get your doctor to approve this type of treatment, and don't mind injections then I would say go for it!!

These can be very effective for some people but as far as I know are not available on NHS they are a bit like holiday vaccinations in that you require to pay for them yourself. Still well worth it though if it removes the symptoms.

For my part I boost the coffers of Clarityn Corp. throughout the summer months. Non drowsy and work okay for me. icon_cool.gif

Similar to Team Hydro, I'm unable to take anti-histamines (mainly because of other medication I'm taking) and there is no free therapy around here. Getting onto a trial is a great way of getting some relief - lucky you being in Southampton!

The only time I ever had relief from Hayfever was the year I was pregnant with my son. Bit of a drastic way to avoid hayfever though! icon_wink.gif

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

quote:
The only time I ever had relief from Hayfever was the year I was pregnant with my son. Bit of a drastic way to avoid hayfever though!

Thats exactly the same as me. When I was pregnant for the first time hardly any symptoms!!

I asked the consultant today, and he said as G.P's think that immunotherapy can be dangerous it is not widely availiable. It has to be done in hospital, usually you have a jab, wait 30mins and then if there are no side effects you can leave. As I am on a trial, in the beggining I had to go once a week and have 2 jabs. It took ages as you still have to take an antihistamine before the first jab, wait 20mins have a jab, wait 30 mins, have another jab, wait an hour, go home!! Now I am on the highest dose, but if you add waiting to get into the car park it took up 2 hours of my time, and as I have had antihistamine now I cannot drive, by 8pm tonight i will be fast asleep!!

But appart from 1994 when I was expecting Harry, this is the first year I have been able to go out for pub lunches and sit outside or walk in the countryside during the grass pollen season, so it IS worth it in the end!!

quote:
For my part I boost the coffers of Clarityn Corp. throughout the summer months. Non drowsy and work okay for me. icon_cool.gif

You SHOULD be able to get Clarityn on a prescription from your doctor: at 6 quid for 28 pills (I usually end up with 2 lots per year) its a LOT cheaper than buying them.

I was involved with the drug trials (at Southampton) for Clarityn about 10 years ago, and have been using it since: I now get close to no symptoms, other than I still feel as tired as hell in season (ie NOW)... but I know that is the hay fever, and NOT the pills. Before that, I suffered melting-nose-syndrome, itchy eyes etc.

It seems different pills work best for different people, so I'd always recommend people giving the various different pills available a try.

To get the most from most of them, you must take them regularly, as it often takes a couple of days for their strength to build up in your body.

(I take mine just before going to bed: that way I'm at "full strength" when I wake up)

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

I only suffer from very mild hayfever. I may get a bit sniffy or sneeze a couple of times passing an oilseed rape field.

However this was a topic of dicussion at work today and apparently the sister of my boss cannot take anti-histermine pills. She visited a health food shop and they suggested applying a thin layer of vasaline up her nose. Sounds painful and dubious to me but I can understand how it may work.

Cheers

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

I dont know if this is true or not but it probally wont do you any harm. If you suffer from hayfever that is badly caused by pollen rather than the fresh cut grass type that some people suffer from then have a teaspoon of local honey every day. The more local the better as aparently the bees that collect the pollen somehow pass on a natural imunity to your local pollens into the honey.

If it works then you can send me a thank you note on the back of a fresh crisp £5 if not it was worth a try!.

Nothing like being organic and environmentally friendly, doubly good if it helps you breath more easy. After all how many branded medices quote honey as an ingredient to help sooth your throat an nasal passages!

AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder where the nearest cache is to the hospital....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost certainly "Cache for Questions"

It's in a fairly pollen free area as well (no much long grass etc)

Paul

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

I can certainly recommend Cache 4 Questions as a fantastic cache! And very close to the hospital for all you sick geocachers.<p>

OK, yes it is my cache!

You're allergic to water? How do you SURVIVE?

Goodness, that's so much worse than a bit of hayfever.

This is Es, by the way. The other half, who hasn't got hayfever. But I've got other fun healthproblems to deal with icon_smile.gif

What is caches precious?

Can control it quite sucessfully with over the counter anti histamines, but I need to take them every day, or my limbs itch for about 20 minutes after I dry off. So after baths, swimming, damp weather and the like.

Thankfully I can eat food with water in it. Now, that would be a problem...

quote:
I was involved with the drug trials (at Southampton) for Clarityn about 10 years ago, and have been using it since: I now get close to no symptoms, other than I still feel as tired as hell in season (ie NOW)... but I know that is the hay fever, and NOT the pills. Before that, I suffered melting-nose-syndrome, itchy eyes etc.

Perhaps that's why I was so tired, no doctor ever told me that!

quote:
I dont know if this is true or not but it probally wont do you any harm. If you suffer from hayfever that is badly caused by pollen rather than the fresh cut grass type that some people suffer from then have a teaspoon of local honey every day.

Tried that, sadly it didn't work for me . Also tried accupuncture, homeopathy... Living in Antigua and New York seemed to work - but alas I can no longer bum around with two kids in tow (oh and being at sea on a boat worked too).

In the last few years I've been using the over-the-counter Beconase nasal spray. No side effects and one bottle usually lasts the season. Did some caching yesterday in New Hampshire before returning home Monday - my jeans from the knee down were virtually yellow with pine pollen from the ferns etc.... but only one sneeze.

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif